Struggling to find western hunting partners

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I have a finite number of people I would mountain hunt with. One I met through rokslide, and a few immediate family members.

If you’re waiting to go elk hunting until you have companions, then forget it altogether. Plan your trip. Gather your gear. Go hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StorMay05

FNG
NWFL here, and same experience. Everyone here is content sitting shooting houses in AL for whitetail. Pretty much go solo every time, does suck in some aspects but a lot easier in others. I will say the solo drive hit me harder than usual this last time.

Finding a good western hunting partner is like finding a good spouse.

I dated a lot of people before my wife. Most of them were good people, but for whatever reason we just weren’t compatible.

I’ve taken “best friends” on western hunting trips were afterwards we were barely on speaking terms.

Bottom line I have one western hunting partner. I might take some others along from time to time, but there is one guy who I know will be up for the challenge year after year, success or not, and someone I can count on when shit goes sideways.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Take your wife. My wife is the only one that is willing to go in the Backcountry with me. Great company, don't have to worry about someone shooting my animal or giving away my spots, and I can feel relaxed and totally be myself.
Happy that you have that.

While my wife is “my person” she has next to no business in the backcountry, especially hunting. For me I’d be more anxious than relaxed. We cannot hardly leave the house on time together.

CRJR45

WKR
I agree , I took a friend to Yellowstone to snowmobile . He was a tough street talking guy , but when he got to the east gate pass the second time , he chickened out , turned around and went back to the lodge .

Same with fishing , I have a lot of friends , but only one or two I enjoy having on the boat .

I have a partner that I have hunted with me since he was in the 8th grade. Nearly 50 years.

My other two partners are my kids. One just moved back and my daughter comes for the last week to ride with me. Time with me and horse time. She can pick out an elk in heavy timber at 400 yds. Very good eyes.

Shop carefully and plan for a long term relationship to be successful.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
OP I find this ironic because I'm in TX and my hunting buddy is in FL.

Holler at your boys

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Go solo. It is very rewarding. I’ve done solo the last 3 years. Only regret solo when it’s packing meat time lol.

One of my best friends goes solo as well. He is a hardcore hunter who is very successful out west. We have discussed teaming up on certain hunts in the future, ( base camp style deer hunts that are more about camaraderie than serious hunting )however for the majority of our hunts, we both go solo.

We agreed that the quickest way to ruin a friendship is to team up. Our styles of hunting are similar but we have our differences which is why we elect to both hunt solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
As others have mentioned, go solo. I went with a couple of buddies the first few years. Quickly found it was difficult to match up from a physical and passion standpoint. Have been going solo for nearly two decades now. It’s the way for me. (Gave up trying to find someone a long time ago. At this point most people that start asking to come just see the end results or are digging for honey holes. LOL.)

*zap*

WKR
Just do it, and maybe first do some near home solo camping trips, walk in a bit and stay overnight.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot of guys struggle to find good backcountry hunting partners. Honestly its better to go solo than with the wrong partner. From both a safety and quality hunting experience. Ive been going solo out west for probably 10 years or so usually do 2 hunts a fall out west. At a minimum have a satellite communication device. Solo hunts in the backcountry are not for everyone. Personally I enjoy it. Buts its definitely more mentally and physically challenging then hunting with a partner. Also keep in mind your physical limitations especially for packing meat. This is especially true for Elk. You could always try to line up a packer as well if one is in your hunting area. If you want to go just go we never get a season back and we only have so many years that we are physically able to do these hunts.

You don't have to torture yourself with an epic drive, or a dyi backcountry solo hunt, to have a great and enjoyable western hunt.

I fly out and hunt with an outfitter that has great accommodations. I've befriended many of the guides I've hunted with and also shared camp with lots of great and interesting people.

OP, don't deprive yourself of enriching experiences and memories because you feel that you need to go with a partner. Do some research. Book an outfitter and a flight, and go have a blast. Don't wait too long. Tomorrow is never promised.

Take your wife. My wife is the only one that is willing to go in the Backcountry with me. Great company, don't have to worry about someone shooting my animal or giving away my spots, and I can feel relaxed and totally be myself.
I don’t know that I’d go there. I took a girlfriend for a jaunt this summer. She said she could hang. I ended up babysitting as she puked and complained. I literally had to turn into a motivational coach to get her out of the backcountry. She hasn’t called me since lol

jayhawk

WKR
Heck I have trouble finding hunting buddies that are OK with just getting up before 10am on Saturday