Stryker Vs. Stryker XL

I have the Gen 1 Stryker....my buddy bought the Stryker XL just two weeks later when it unexpectedly dropped. I get by with mine, but really wish it had the side Nalgene pockets. Those are very handy. My Gen 1 is 300 cu inches smaller than the Stryker XL....and 600cu inches smaller than the Hellbender, (which I'm really interested in, as someone else mentioned, it's somewhat of a glorified Bane or basically the XL with a Grab-it. That's not a diss to the bag, I'd still recommend it over either of the Strykers, IF you're not looking to run pouches or a Sherman on the outside molle...

Fortunately, for Day hunting from a spike camp or the like, my smaller Gen 1 is plenty for the day's necessary gear. We haul camp in a campbag from Kifaru and load it in the meatshelf, dump that whole campbag at camp, then you're basically ready to go for the day without shuffling a bunch of gear around and moving straps etc.

No complaints overall with the Stryker, but yes, if you're asking my honest advice...I'd get the XL or the Hellbender depending on your preference of pocket layouts.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Gen 1 Stryker....my buddy bought the Stryker XL just two weeks later when it unexpectedly dropped. I get by with mine, but really wish it had the side Nalgene pockets. Those are very handy. My Gen 1 is 300 cu inches smaller than the Stryker XL....and 600cu inches smaller than the Hellbender, (which I'm really interested in, as someone else mentioned, it's somewhat of a glorified Bane or basically the XL with a Grab-it. That's not a diss to the bag, I'd still recommend it over either of the Strykers, IF you're not looking to run pouches or a Sherman on the outside molle...

Fortunately, for Day hunting from a spike camp or the like, my smaller Gen 1 is plenty for the day's necessary gear. We haul camp in a campbag from Kifaru and load it in the meatshelf, dump that whole campbag at camp, then you're basically ready to go for the day without shuffling a bunch of gear around and moving straps etc.

No complaints overall with the Stryker, but yes, if you're asking my honest advice...I'd get the XL or the Hellbender depending on your preference of pocket layouts.
Solid advice and take on the Stryker bags. I love that Sherman and XL combo. I’m sticking with the XL.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
I have run the Sherman empty and used it like a grab it, it looks much less diaper-like than the grab it, not as effective either tho…Pick your poison?😂😎

I have run the Sherman empty and used it like a grab it, it looks much less diaper-like than the grab it, not as effective either tho…Pick your poison?😂😎

Lol exactly. I actually have a Sherman pocket and was thinking of doing that this year if I don't get a Hellbender or whatever. It'd function like the grab-it and won't give me a TON of extra storage, but if my rain coat or something squishy can't be stashed in it...I bow hunt so I was also wondering if it'd help secure the bow to the pack if needed. I'm 50-50 on adding it, will probably do some scouting/hiking with it to see if the Sherman helps offset the smaller Stryker bag size. I'll report back on that.

Reviving a bit of an old thread here…but I’m curious. How do the Gen 1 Stryker and the Stryker XL do with hauling deer out? Are they effective as meat haulers? Lots of discussion on how they carry layers, sticks, stands, etc but didn’t see much on that.

I have a Stryker XL. There was a post a while back saying that for late season...the bag capacity fell short.

I am right there in that club. Even having a ton of Gucci gear and kinda cutting edge stuff...the capcity is overwhelmed pretty quickly with puffy snivel gear.

I use the XL as my go to day hunting pack. And have twice used it to haul out deer. Just "Grab and Growl" stuff. Both times I gutted the deer and cut the deer in half-ish. Threw whole ass end with pelvis in the cargo sling. Strapped it down. And left.

No pissing around. De-Boning. Quartering etc. When I had 1-2 miles of trail/off trail to get to the rig.

And it works amazing.

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving a bit of an old thread here…but I’m curious. How do the Gen 1 Stryker and the Stryker XL do with hauling deer out? Are they effective as meat haulers? Lots of discussion on how they carry layers, sticks, stands, etc but didn’t see much on that.
I have an XL, and have hauled several bears and elk with it. Front/hind elk loads and a whole bear quartered were managed just fine.

sivart

WKR
I like it. Wish it was a hair bigger bag. Gets tight when you have to add layers in late season. Wish the top pocket was a little bigger as well

tbian1

FNG
If all I care about is the load shelf is the XL worth it? I'll be using it to pack a novix helo and sticks or deboned whitetail/black bear.