Stryker XL - Camp Bag & Camp Bag Alternatives Review & Comparison

Sloth

FNG
@ChrisAU - do you think the z-packs liner would eventually tear/fail? I’m not super familiar with their line, but perhaps their dry bag is more durable?

Great review. You’ve got me thinking hard which way I’m going to go for my Stryker…

FLman

FNG
Just what I have been looking for. Great write up thanks. I was also thinking of trying the Kuiu taku 3000 bag. Has anyone use one with the Stryker?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
@ChrisAU - do you think the z-packs liner would eventually tear/fail? I’m not super familiar with their line, but perhaps their dry bag is more durable?

Great review. You’ve got me thinking hard which way I’m going to go for my Stryker…

Depends on how you treat it. It would worry me sitting in the load sling if I was going through brush. But, trailhead to a campsite on a trail I think it’d be just fine.

If you go to youtube and look up making Tyvek bags there is a video of a guy that makes them with white Gorilla tape....works real well....I have made a couple already.

I also went to a fabric store and bought buckles and a iron on table cloth edge reinforcement and made roll tops for them.

strongarm

FNG
@ChrisAU
Great writeup with lots of practical utility for real-world use-cases. Really well done. Thank you!

I currently use an unknown brand tactical-style-esque bag I stumbled into at a thrift store that I use as my camp bag when pairing with the Styker XL. It is a backpack, but has straps that tuck away that's very similar in shape to the Hill People Gear Decker bag. It's reasonably well constructed for this use since it doesn't carry load nor take abuse from the trail and off-trail travel (contained by the more robust Stryker XL). It's downside is a little bit of extra weight since the back panel is padded as it's built to be a stand-alone pack. I prefer it due to its shape (true rectangle) and it has a little bit of organization in the form of some outside zippered slash pockets, etc. An unforeseen upside of it being an actual pack vs. bag is the ability to carry it on its own to move camp during a slight pivot.

In my opinion, the best camp bag to pair with Stryker/Stryker XL (and even Nomad and Straightjacket type bags) is a rectangular bag. It perplexes me why there aren't many viable options for bags of this shape. Most dry bags, and even the Kifaru camp bag, are round or oval. This isn't a blocker but becomes somewhat problematic when stuffed—which can occur easily in colder climates with cold weather gear. While functional, these round-oval bags pretty quickly push your load far out from your back which isn't fun when logging miles. There are a handful of duffel bags out there this shape (Black Diamond Stonehauler, for example), but they are weight prohibitive since meant to be stand alone bags.

For certain scenarios, I'm considering the medium or large Hill People Gear Decker bag, largely based on shape. They are similar in width and depth, just get taller. This keeps more of the load on the Y-axis, driving weight to your hips, vs. pushing out the load on the X-axis, which negates the benefit of a load hauling frame.

The downside of the HPG Decker and many of these bags—Kifaru Camp Bag included—is that they are nearly all top loaders or roll tops, which can get a little annoying while at remote camps. This is reduced to some degree that the majority of contents are for camp itself (shelter, sleeping system, etc), but for cooking gear and miscellaneous sundries it becomes a dump bag, which stinks when dark, tired, and fighting weather. And also when repacking camp to move.

To me, something like the HPG Decker bag with a center, side, or U-shaped zippers would be a great solution. I did look at the Eberlestock Super Spike duffel, which is down this vein. It's just too small for cold weather hunts and I'm not familiar with build quality. Or a rectangular Kifaru Camp bag that simply seats better in any of their more modular packs.

Across the board, it's important to remember that each of these bags can push contents out away from your back quicker than you think. This is why rectangular/shallower/taller, to me, is the way to go. I just wish there were more options in the market to fit this use case.

Great review, again.

strongarm

FNG
Follow up from my post: Photos of my current alternate camp bag.

Alone:
1d07ded323569a4581a316492e94ad11.jpg

Nested in the Kifaru StrykerXL:
d19736399e9339b07d6483cf8de062e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmiller

WKR
@ChrisAU
thanks for putting this together. Based on your suggestions, I ordered the Decker and it showed up today. Loaded it up and very happy with how it rides on the Stryker.

I also picked up an Initial Ascent Dry Bag and it will also work well for me.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
93F81AEA-7AD7-4A20-87FB-B657F5C2659A.jpeg
I did something similar to this with a pintler. This is the second trip out so the bag was empty. If it had anything in it it would have been hard to manage pushing weight out that far. It worked really well keeping camp in the dry bag and hunting with a day pack from there.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
@ChrisAU , Thanks for the great writeup.

@strongarm, I totally agree with you about the rectangular bag. I have a Nomad2 that I love but considering the StrykerXL. I currently use a OR 55L (3051cubic inch / 6.2oz) drybag that works well but it is round instead of rectangular. Have thought about a Kuiu game bag like this:

Large 1170 cubic inches / 5.3oz

Or this:

Large : 2000 cubic inches / 2.9oz
But haven’t tried thrm yet.

I actually prefer the added size and side pockets of tge Hellbender but don’t like the loss of molle in place if Bane style pocket (relatively useless to me on my other packs). With the StrykerXL had the larger xpac load shelfor just straps like sone have modified the original Stryker.

The Grabit on my Nomad2 works far better than a load shelf to adjust the load height of my camp bag or meat. Day mode is a bit strappy and the wing zippers get covered in straps if you don’t want them fooppy, hence the interest in the StrykerXL. Contemplating just cutting the load shelf off the XL

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is a pack liner but back to a roll top but at least a rectangular bottom.

2.5oz for the large (8x12x32)

57L is 2.0oz (9.5x12.5x29)

50L 3.4oz (19x6x31)
70L is 3.9oz (20x8x35)

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently used the og Stryker on a moose hunt. I absolutely loved it and now am getting xl to try. I used a 55l dry bag and my pilot thanked me. Multiple medium sized bags are much easier to distribute weight on a bush plane vs. Everything loaded in a heavy pack. Hauling Moosr quarters with the Stryker was fantastic, all things considered. It was still heavy AF, bit attaching meat bags or quarters was a breeze.