Stubborn Bulls

Ever had a hard time getting a bull to commit? How are you getting stubborn bulls to come in when they just aren't quite sure. Or do they just runaway from you?

Here's the scenario;

You get to your calling spot 30-45 minutes before shooting light. Very important for me to have this location well thought out. I want my sound to travel a great distance when I'm ready to call. And I want to be able to move quickly if I have too, and get into position depending on what my gut is telling me.

So you listen for a bit and see if the elk will lead you to them, or vise versa ;) you hear nothing as you are listening those first 10-15 minutes. You make your first locate sound. And a bull answers from a great distance across a deep canyon. Remember you are set up where your calls will really reach out. The bull is way out there. I've heard this a bunch. If he's already on the move, no way you are catching him. He's that far away.

My goal is for him to come to me. But as I've said, way too far away for me to formulate a plan at this point. A few moments go by and you make another loud call. Nothing......then suddenly you hear a bugle. This time it's clear he's closer. But still quite a ways away. But he's coming in my direction.

This is where the wheels start churning. Should I call? Should I be on the move? What should I do? Personally, this is where I get moving. I'm gonna move in the direction of the bull. If he commits, I have the high ground. Advantage hunter. As long as he doesn't smell me.

You can still get away with the thermals going down if you can keep the wind off your back. And you can move to him at the same time. If you know how to "work it". Rely on a little common sense and it can be done.

So at this point he's gone silent after you've moved and called. I'm not using multiple sounds while calling at this point. I may have used several sounds by now. The only sound I'm making is the one he responded to. So another call, and he answers. Not moving. So I'm going to move to him. I want to cut that distance in half before I call again. No matter what that distance. It's clear hes not running for the next mountain top.

So you cut that distance in half and call again. Now he's coming! By all accounts, it's obvious he has no cows as he bugles with maybe a couple grunts or chuckles. Or maybe even just a bugle that has a little more intensity. Up to you to read that.

So you set up with good wind, clear shooting lanes and call again. He answers from 1-200 yards. And this repeats itself. The bull is hung up.

The good thing is at this point you still have his attention. Most of us have seen it fall apart right here a time or two. Great learning moments by the way.

So it's your move. Is this bull coming in? Or is he turning tail and running? This is where quick critical thinking and quick decision making can make it, or break it for you. You've done everything text book up to this moment. They don't stick around very long at this point. Either you will hopefully kill him, or he's fixing to go. 🏹🏹🏹

Last edited:

tjihrig

FNG
I would try a couple things here. 1. Calf call. Calf calls, I’ve found, are non threatening, if he’s timid and solo, the sound of a calf can pull him in. 2. Walk away calling. Make a bunch of noise mixed with cow calls walking away. Pop the brush and kick rocks- then go silent and boogie back to the original spot and wait for him to come in curious about what he heard. 3. Excited cow calls and run at him. Then hang up 50-75 yard from him and go quiet (this can work in thick timber). That’s my 2 cents and what I would throw in the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
trophyhill
2 things are for certain here. 1 is there is more than 1 way to skin an elk, and 2, there are a hundred different ways to blow an opportunity. Don't ask me how I know the latter of the 2 ;)

OP
trophyhill
I would try a couple things here. 1. Calf call. Calf calls, I’ve found, are non threatening, if he’s timid and solo, the sound of a calf can pull him in. 2. Walk away calling. Make a bunch of noise mixed with cow calls walking away. Pop the brush and kick rocks- then go silent and boogie back to the original spot and wait for him to come in curious about what he heard. 3. Excited cow calls and run at him. Then hang up 50-75 yard from him and go quiet (this can work in thick timber). That’s my 2 cents and what I would throw in the mix

The only time I've moved away using that tactic, was in a different scenario and I failed miserably! I tried to do this with a big herd bull for a friend. We were out of cover, and he had a bunch of cows. And I didn't know any better. Wrong situation for backing off. I ended up running that bull off. I later redeemed my self and called a huge bodied satellite 5 point in broadside to 10 yards for him. He made the mistake this time by setting up behind the cover. But that's a different story to tell on the do's and don'ts of your set up ;)

Last edited:

smbolan

FNG
Where we hunt, I sometimes have to give the high ground, hence I will purposely go below him or the same altitude as him before I call again. I’ve had them come quicker that way.

Another thing I wanna add, as I’ve done this a lot in my younger years. Don’t call to much. I used to get in bugle wars with elk, bugle for bugle, for hours at a time. Then it dawns on me one day, while I was doing this I literally had no air left in me, so I just shut up a while and the next thing I know, he’s in my partner lap... let them come search. Don’t make them stand there bugleing...

tjihrig

FNG
The only time I've moved away using that tactic, was in a different scenario and I failed miserably! I tried to do this with a big herd bull for a friend. We were out of cover, and he had a bunch of cows. And I didn't know any better. Wrong situation for backing off. I ended up running that bull off. I later redeemed my self and called a huge bodied satellite 5 point in broadside to 10 yards for him. He made the mistake this time by setting up behind the cover. But that's a different story to tell on the do's and don'ts of your set up ;)

I hear ya brother. I’ve tried everything and mostly with failed attempts. Raking for sure will bring in bulls that are hung up. I use the walking away on solo bulls because if they hang up it allows me to reestablish my setup. Especially if the bull comes from the wrong direction or comes in too fast for me to get set up. But if I really knew what those critters were thinking I’d have a better batting average

I've had limited success walking away while calling. They usually follow, but keep the distance the same between us, or I'll drag the bull inadvertently across my scent trail and scare him off for good. Usually I lightly rake and wait, or back out quietly and come in from a different angle.

Laramie

WKR

Paul knows his stuff.

Marble

WKR

Paul knows his stuff.
Yep....this what I was thinking. Introduce what the bull wants, a hot cow.