Stuff going wrong

mark1j

FNG
I'm fixing to leave for 2 weeks. Going to Yellowstone and Tetons. I am actually dreading it because I know something is going to happen back at home or with one of us. Last year we was at RMNP and wife tripped over our kid on a hiking trail and fell and cut her head open. This was in the middle of nowhere. Had to hike out and then drive to Estes Park Hospital. Next day got a call that her dad was in hospital due to a heart attack. Not a fun trip.
Past 3 trips to the beach has been either hurricanes or tropical storms.
Cant wait to see what this coming trip has in store for us.

mark1j

FNG
I made a new rule last year too. If anybody in the household has been sick or goes to the doctor for any reason within a week of leaving, the trip is cancelled.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm fixing to leave for 2 weeks. Going to Yellowstone and Tetons. I am actually dreading it because I know something is going to happen back at home or with one of us. Last year we was at RMNP and wife tripped over our kid on a hiking trail and fell and cut her head open. This was in the middle of nowhere. Had to hike out and then drive to Estes Park Hospital. Next day got a call that her dad was in hospital due to a heart attack. Not a fun trip.
Past 3 trips to the beach has been either hurricanes or tropical storms.
Cant wait to see what this coming trip has in store for us.
Dang!

Savage99

WKR
I made a new rule last year too. If anybody in the household has been sick or goes to the doctor for any reason within a week of leaving, the trip is cancelled.

I breath a sigh of relief if I come down with something a few weeks out from a trip. I always think, good now I won’t get sick in the middle of a vacation or hunting trip. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB
I was on a hunt with my buddy. He got a call. His mother-in-law has passed away. We had a couple of deer to deal with. We scrambled. We packed. We got meat into coolers.

After driving for a few hours, I was flagging. I had him take over at the wheel and I passed out in the passenger seat.

I stirred as the road noise changed as the truck crossed a bridge. My eyes cracked open. I groggily wondered, “What river flows to the East?”

I woke up to find that my buddy had made a mistake on a construction detour shortly after I fell asleep. We had been driving in the wrong direction for hours. My buddy was so wrapped up in his thoughts he hadn’t noticed.

I told him, “This is bad. This is really bad. Your wife is going to freak out. You are going to have to tell her that this was my fault. You can’t take this kind of heat. You live with her. You gotta put this on me.”

He never shifted blame to save himself.

I was on an 7-day backcountry trip in Wyoming. The ceiling in our downstairs hallway fell to the floor. Turns out we had a leaky pipe in our upstairs bathroom. I didn't have cell coverage, but did have my InReach. My wife didn't say anything about it until I got out of the backcountry, so it didn't ruin my trip. She dealt with the insurance company, the restoration folks, and took care of all of it on her own. I'm very lucky.
That’s a women!

When I was an industry forester working for a very large sawmill, I was taxed with producing 80% of the wood that went through it. For over 9 years I had at least 80% coming through that mill despite 5 other full time foresters on staff. That percentage claim is documented on computer. Not a guess. On top of running 9 logging sub contractors. It was an enormous effort to stay on top of all that.

So, when I took vacation, I wanted my time for me. Without fail though, my coworkers would always call me asking for help or, advice, or phone numbers of attorneys I used. Never doing so while I wasn’t trying to take vacation. SMH

Loggers weren’t much better. They knew the day I left and the day I’d return. And, they never missed their opportunity to do some pretty major foul ups in between those dates. Then spend the other days calling and leaving messages. From cutting over well painted and flagged property boundaries to skidding logs down roads that had vehicle traffic on it.

It isn’t enough to have messages from co workers and sub contractors. It’s the ones that the dnr or state and federal environmental agencies leave you after those dumb stunts, that’ll get your attention. And with such pitiful coworkers, you can bet no one working had enough knowledge of anything to step in and fix it.

I quit that job after putting in for my remaining three days of vacation to take around Christmas. I was told we needed to do inventory on the log yard. I told them to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine when I showed up Christmas Eve and two of the other foresters were allowed to miss due to family plans.

Every morning my feet hit the floor, I’m glad I did what I did. I’ve never even entertained it as a mistake.

WCB

WKR
Unless there is basically death or pending death my plans stay as is. Maybe sever storm damage or house burning down also. I know guys that would probably have to turn around because their kid is sick with a bad cold or because the furnace went out. Well I'm not a doctor and I know nothing about a furnace except for the basic try #1, 2,3 then call someone.

In fact had a buddy leave a hunting trip because his girlfriend at the time totaled her car. Mind you she was perfectly fine had a vehicle to use absolutely nothing he could do. Of course because they rode together another buddy and his wife had to leave also. That evening and the next morning were two of the best snow goose shoots I have had.

I made it a point to show my wife how to run the snow blower, plow on the wheeler, trouble shoot basic small engine issues (gas, plugs, oil, air filters, fuel filters, etc.) if something is not working. Sorry but some of these basic stupid things guys stay home or go home for is 100% avoidable. Don't entertain a helpless woman...If you are a woman same rule about a man you date. I also do not let me trips hang in the balance with these types of people. If I know it could be a problem they can drive separate.

Also, the reason when I was given the decision from work to use my cell phone and they pay for it or get a separate work phone....I chose a separate work phone. My vacation is mine. That phone gets straight up shut off and left at home. 1 time I chose to bring my work phone because we had a product release pending and I had to ok it. Turned on the phone 10 minutes later off the phone and powered it down. Sorry I don't live for work.

I was on an 7-day backcountry trip in Wyoming. The ceiling in our downstairs hallway fell to the floor. Turns out we had a leaky pipe in our upstairs bathroom. I didn't have cell coverage, but did have my InReach. My wife didn't say anything about it until I got out of the backcountry, so it didn't ruin my trip. She dealt with the insurance company, the restoration folks, and took care of all of it on her own. I'm very lucky.
She's a keeper!

Finch

WKR
Nothing major here but kind of a funny story. I will say this. My wife is pretty good about handling shit and hardly calls me. My buddies at work get the stupidest calls sometimes. Anyway, my buddy and I were on our way to CO from VA for our 2nd elk hunt. She knew we were still driving and called to tell me a funny story.

Being that she was 8 months pregnant and I was gonna be several states away, her mom came to stay the weekend. They were watching TV when they heard the doggie door flap open and then close. Our dog Molly was lying in the floor in her usual spot so they quickly realized it was not her. It was an abandoned cat from a broken marriage next door. It came into our house and Molly chased its little ass under the guest bedroom's bed. So here's my 8 month pregnant wife trying to get a very skiddish cat out from under the bed while our cat hatin' Molly is going crazy. She finally got it and tossed it outside and secured the dog door. Guess I'm lucky hearing some of these stories!