Stuff going wrong

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I had the toilet issue too. I was lion hunting in AZ. X-wife sends me a text message. Toilet is clogged. Complete with picture of toilet with a #1, #2 and toilet paper in the bowl. Disgusting. I never replied.

Had my dogs nuts cut off a week or so before I left on the same hunt. Dog was still wearing the cone of shame. He pulled off the cone and got into the garbage in the kitchen and left a big mess. That was another picture I got when I was hunting. Never replied. We have four dogs and always put the garbage can out on the porch or up on the counter so they didn't get into it so I wasn't laying claim to that mess.

For me, it is always the work stuff that Orionsbrother mentioned.

I hunt with a guy that has land 5 hours away. It never fails that his wife has an "emergency" during a weekend bird hunt. Last time we went out for turkeys, she called before we got out of the neighborhood. "I think the kids have fevers". He told her to take their temperatures. "OMG, The youngest is 98.9!"

I think she is just a hater of fun.

03mossy

WKR
Has happened to me a handful of times. First I was up in northern MN for the last weekend of muzzleloader season. My wife called and the garage door cable snapped and the door landed on the windshield of her van. The second time I was in SD prairie dog hunting and wife calls. We had a ton of rain and our sump pump failed and we had water up to the fourth stair in the basement. Lost almost all my hunting stuff/ammo that I didn't have on the trip. The third one I had the truck and trailer loaded for a 5-day deer hunt. Went back in to kiss the wife and kids goodbye. Wife comes down the stairs and trips and breaks her foot! She's pretty damn good at handling shit but all 3 of those I had to come home or stayed home.

I always tell work I doubt I'll have service, make a big deal out of how remote it is, and I'll be by myself etc.
Someone always calls with something trivial, that's been an issue for 6 months. I usually put my phone on airplane mode anytime I'm on vacation, my wife can text my InReach, or if I'm with her and they don't know how to get ahold of her, they're probably not close enough to inform me of an emergency.

My job doesn't know I have an InReach.

Nothing too crazy. Renter's A/C went out and she didn't know how to get ahold of my wife. Poor gal got a motel for a few days which we paid for. Same A/C went out the following year but my wife took care of it. Once thought my wife was going to have to put down my dog but he pulled through. Kids get croup, otherwise sick. Wife just takes care of that, too. She's pretty awesome.

Work, when I'm gone less shit seems to get done but what's the point of working if you can't get your hunting in?

Marble

WKR
Short of someone on their death bed I can not imagine much keeping me from going on a trip. I've been exposed to a lot of different situations that were true emergencies. And even more that really were not. It's not always as big of a deal as people think.

Before I leave town I have friends and family set up for my wife in case there is something at the house that needs repair etc.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I always tell work I doubt I'll have service, make a big deal out of how remote it is, and I'll be by myself etc.
Someone always calls with something trivial, that's been an issue for 6 months. I usually put my phone on airplane mode anytime I'm on vacation, my wife can text my InReach, or if I'm with her and they don't know how to get ahold of her, they're probably not close enough to inform me of an emergency.

This is me exactly.

Savage99

WKR

Me too, except my boss and I have each other’s inreach. Some of the time we’re together, but we both have the same attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First western hunt I had a week of machine run time scheduled for my operator. I get a call before I even left the state that something went wrong so the 250K machine sat idle for a week.

The last trip my wife contacted me via Inreach to tell me we were pregnant, then that she was having a miscarriage and then that she was going into emergency surgery because it was ectopic with complications. This was only a few months after a previous tough miscarriage. What a rollercoaster of emotion.

Several trips in state cut short due to kids getting sick.

I'm thankful when things go right because I know that they can and do go wrong.

Crusader

WKR
This one turned out ok, could have been a lot worse, but is interesting nonetheless. In the far outskirts of St. Louis County there's a large, county park (Lone Elk Park) that has lots of wildlife, including bison and elk and the naturally occurring stuff like whitetail and turkey. There's a paved one-way road that goes through it and it's a cool place to take a slow drive through, especially near dusk. In October of '93 I was at our property way down in southern MO, doing some archery hunting. Our six-month old daughter at the time was a real handful, always crying and rarely daytime napping. My wife decided to put her in the minivan and take a drive through the park one evening, just to get out of the house and maybe soothe our baby, as she typically calmed down in the car. At one of the few turns in the park, my wife pulled the van up to a stop sign. Off to the right side was a large bull, staring at her. All of a sudden, the bull charges the van and runs into it, with his rack poking through the rear window, just missing my daughter in her car seat. He backed off and ran away. After a few minutes, wife calmed down and drove home. Didn't have a cell phone back then but she called me from home phone to tell me the story and say everything was okay, I didn't need to come home. Whew! Turns out there was $1,200 damage to the car, which was a lot nearly 30 years ago....
By the way, that park still exists and we often take a drive through it, especially in the fall. Brings back a lot of memories!

mlgc20

WKR
I was on an 7-day backcountry trip in Wyoming. The ceiling in our downstairs hallway fell to the floor. Turns out we had a leaky pipe in our upstairs bathroom. I didn't have cell coverage, but did have my InReach. My wife didn't say anything about it until I got out of the backcountry, so it didn't ruin my trip. She dealt with the insurance company, the restoration folks, and took care of all of it on her own. I'm very lucky.

TripleJ

WKR
It’s a running joke between my wife and I. 💩 always hits the fan when I’m gone hunting. She’s a trooper and use to it after 24 years of marriage. It’s uncanny though how things can go smooth for months, but I can leave town and some random crazy event happens. Last year I was 8 hours away, 3 days into a 10 day elk hunt and she had to evacuate our house because of a wildfire closing in. She had our boys to help, but sitting there without me trying to decide what to take and what to leave behind was a tough task. Never would have seen that one coming. Sick kids, relatives dying, neighbor issues...almost always happens when I’m gone.

Jaker_cc

WKR
My ex wife was really bad about calling me or texting me for BS and throwing a fit for tiny little things. Luckily we divorced about 6 years ago and my hunting has been mostly peaceful ever since. My fiancé now has a life of her own, self confidence that she can get things done should things go wrong, and she wants me to get out and be me.

I’ve come home early once from a hunt due to pressure from someone else and that still bothers me. My time is mine. Sorry if that’s selfish but that’s my view on it.

Shaw

FNG
I’ve been lucky and never had a bad emergency at home while on an out of state hunt. Worst thing I’ve had happen was a molar going south on me on the 1st day of an elk hunt in Wyoming a couple of years ago. It was an adventure and an ass load of driving to find a dentist that could deal with it.

I received this gem from my wife one evening just after I double lunged a big doe while hunting with a buddy about 30 minutes from home. 😆 Joker must have came down the vent pipe in the roof.

Attachments

• E0F38FAC-5CE2-49DE-B7FB-C4CA847D7319.jpeg
    E0F38FAC-5CE2-49DE-B7FB-C4CA847D7319.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Short of someone on their death bed I can not imagine much keeping me from going on a trip. I've been exposed to a lot of different situations that were true emergencies. And even more that really were not. It's not always as big of a deal as people think.

Before I leave town I have friends and family set up for my wife in case there is something at the house that needs repair etc.

Yeah I guess I’ve had a lot of stuff happen while I’ve been gone with things breaking, but my dad is awesome about checking on my wife so I usually don’t find out about all the broken house and vehicle stuff until I get home. God bless that man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk