Stuff side up or down?

paxamus

WKR
Hey guys,
Quick question- been making a new dozen arrows and am using a spine indexer to find the stiff side of the spine- now should it go up (stiff away from rest) or down (stiff side against rest)? Reason why I ask is that I’m getting conflicting opinions when I look into it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make them all the same. Probably up if that's where your cock vane is positioned when shooting.

Zac

WKR
I've heard you want it up so that the arrow is pushing down on the rest when fired. Brent from Valkyrie states he likes them pointed towards the riser. I think shooting bare shafts through paper and turning your nocks is going to give you a better idea of where they should be. I'd use your spine tester to give you a good starting point and then bare shaft them all through paper while indexing nocks. It would be interesting to see how far off your original mark you were.

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Thanks guys! Appreciate the input- I’m constantly trying to make things better

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
If you truly want to index and maximize accuracy you should bareshaft each arrow through paper. Turn each nock until you get bullet holes with every arrow. Then they will all be indexed and acting the same out of the bow. I will even go to the extent of shooting every bareshaft at 20 yds indexing them to group together with a fletched arrow.

dkime

WKR
If you truly want to index and maximize accuracy you should bareshaft each arrow through paper. Turn each nock until you get bullet holes with every arrow. Then they will all be indexed and acting the same out of the bow. I will even go to the extent of shooting every bareshaft at 20 yds indexing them to group together with a fletched arrow.

Do what @D.Rose is suggesting. It's referred to as dynamic spine tuning, but it requires a high degree of shooting ability. Spine location on the shaft has nothing to do with this.

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Do what @D.Rose is suggesting. It's referred to as dynamic spine tuning, but it requires a high degree of shooting ability. Spine location on the shaft has nothing to do with this.

Thanks guys!