Stupid ? about Colorado elk draw - which units to start building preference points?

I'm probably approaching this all wrong, but that's why I'm asking here.

I've been hunting Colorado elk on OTC and Leftover tags for the past 4 seasons (2 in 75 and 2 in 11/12/231). All cow tags so far. However I'd like to also start building some preference points toward less crowded units where I can find a better hunting experience.

I'm not a trophy hunter (hence the cow tags) but I do like solitude. The past three seasons, I've seen plenty of elk but also plenty of hunters. I'd like to start building up some preference points but don't really know the best approach. Should I be selecting a unit and hunt and putting in for it, or should I just buy a preference point, or both?

Thinking I may just chase muleys for a few years until I have some points toward better elk units.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Nichols13

FNG
You can either just state that you want a preference point on your application with a certain hunt code that is found in the rules and regs, or another option is to put the unit you would like that solitude at as your first choice. If you don’t draw your first choice you will still get a preference point, even if you draw your second or third choice. This means you can still draw certain tags and not “burn your points”

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
To the OP - obviously you missed about 3-4 years of getting any PPs.

When/if you decide to get PPs, remember that you are always 1 year in the 'rears' when you go to apply.

Example: If you apply for/get a PP this year [2019], you will have 1 going in to 2020.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
To the OP - obviously you missed about 3-4 years of getting any PPs.

When/if you decide to get PPs, remember that you are always 1 year in the 'rears' when you go to apply.

Example: If you apply for/get a PP this year [2019], you will have 1 going in to 2020.
Yea I'm aware of that. The only time I have applied was for a muzzleloader cow tag in 74 and I got it first try. Every other license was otc or leftover so I never really worried too much about points. But I'm beginning to see the value in having them now.

I agree with most of the other comments. Apply for a hard draw that you won’t get. Then if desired put in for chances for a second or third hunt you may get. Worst comes to worst you got a point and can do an OTC Hunt.

For Colorado, put your 1st choice code as something like 999-999-P (you’ll have to look it up) and the 2nd choice as your easy draw tag and you’re good to go. If for some reason you miss the easy draw tag, then OTC it is.

For Colorado, put your 1st choice code as something like 999-999-P (you’ll have to look it up) and the 2nd choice as your easy draw tag and you’re good to go. If for some reason you miss the easy draw tag, then OTC it is.
This is the way to do it! Point creep is a real thing. Just start putting in for a point. It doesn't cost anything anymore for deer/elk/pronghorn/bear.

cnelk

WKR
Better read the new 2019 regs. It does cost to get a PP.
First you need a qualifying license and then there’s the apply fee.

Not like last year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Don't count on solitude just because it's a draw unit. Many of the draw units I've hunted have been way more crowded than some of the OTC areas I've hunted.

Oregon

WKR
Better read the new 2019 regs. It does cost to get a PP.
First you need a qualifying license and then there’s the apply fee.

Not like last year.

I just received this years big game guide today. I have to admit, I’m confused.
The way I’m reading it is if you want to buy just a PP, you don’t have to buy the qualifying license (small game/turkey).
Only if you are applying for a hunt??
I’m calling tomorrow to verify

davsco

WKR
crap, so colo is following new mex in requiring we buy a non-refundable base license just to enter the draw. at least colo has better if not way better draw odds. maybe i'll luck out and get my 1% draw odds in wyoming's draw and won't have to pay and enter in nm or co...

:cautious: Oh man I missed that part:

ALL APPLICANTS, INCLUDING YOUTH, MUST PURCHASE A QUALIFYING LICENSE
TO APPLY FOR THE BIG GAME DRAW: Qualifying licenses are spring turkey,
annual small game, annual resident combination small game/fshing and
veteran's lifetime resident combination small game/fshing. Licenses must
be valid for the current license year, April 1, 2019–March 31, 2020.

NONRESIDENT
■ Spring turkey....................... $151.75 (youth: $101.75)
■ Annual small game ............. $81.75 (youth: $1.25)

APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE
■ Nonresident ............................................... $9
Per species, per draw & nonrefundable

OP
Newtosavage
I was reading that in the blind this evening. I'll have to read it again, but I think you only pay for the license if you are drawn. It's probably some kind of placeholder in the system.

OP
Newtosavage
Don't count on solitude just because it's a draw unit. Many of the draw units I've hunted have been way more crowded than some of the OTC areas I've hunted.

Yea, that's good advice. I'm still navigating my way around the units. Honestly, the leftover tags I've hunted on the past two years have been pretty darn good quality hunts. Two years ago, there were a lot of people in the area (and a lot of elk) but the places I went, I didn't see many folks. Trouble was, the only elk I saw were bulls (including a 6x6 and a 7x7) and all I had was a cow tag. LOL Go figure.

So far, I haven't had what I would consider any kind of good luck. If it's anything like my whitetail hunting career, I'll need to put in a solid 10 years of floundering around before the luck finds me. ha, ha. One thing I have going for me is that I'm too stupid to give up. ;)

I was reading that in the blind this evening. I'll have to read it again, but I think you only pay for the license if you are drawn. It's probably some kind of placeholder in the system.
You only pay for the license of the animal for which you have applied for and have drawn. You still have to pre-purchase a "qualifying license" before you can even apply for anything.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ok. Had a pretty good grip on Colorado but knew some changes were coming. We just want a couple points to guarantee a first rifle elk and eventually a decent deer tag. I have read the new information and am still unclear as to what all I pay to build points.

$81 small game license
$10 habitat fee
$9 application fee per specie
$40 per species per point

So $189 to get a mule deer point and an elk point? $358 for my wife and I to start building points?

Am I correct?

Ok. Had a pretty good grip on Colorado but knew some changes were coming. We just want a couple points to guarantee a first rifle elk and eventually a decent deer tag. I have read the new information and am still unclear as to what all I pay to build points.

$81 small game license
$10 habitat fee
$9 application fee per specie
$40 per species per point

So $189 to get a mule deer point and an elk point? $358 for my wife and I to start building points?

Am I correct?
Not quite. The points don't cost unless you are accumulating weighted points for Moose, Sheep, or goat. So for deer I think it's $100.75.