Stupid ? about Colorado elk draw - which units to start building preference points?

Fatcamp

WKR
Not quite. The points don't cost unless you are accumulating weighted points for Moose, Sheep, or goat. So for deer I think it's $100.75.

The chart on page 1 lists a $40 preference point fee for elk, deer, and antelope. When does that come into play?

The chart on page 1 lists a $40 preference point fee for elk, deer, and antelope. When does that come into play?
That was 2018 fee, it's a confusing and incomplete matrix on that chart. This is the text for 2019:
NEW ALL BIG GAME SPECIES, EXCEPT FOR MOOSE,
ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIGHORN SHEEP AND MOUNTAIN
GOAT, NO LONGER HAVE A PREFERENCE POINT FEE:
Hunters who are unsuccessful in drawing their frst
choice hunt, or if they apply for a preference point
hunt code as their frst choice, can gain a preference
point without paying a preference point fee for deer,
elk, pronghorn and bear.

cnelk

WKR
FYI

When the qualifying license is purchased, the Habitat Stamp is automatically added.
I would highly suggest purchasing this way before applying.

Also, be sure to confirm the Credit Card you have on file is valid

Fatcamp

WKR
Hey, thank you. I see that now. What was really confusing me was the box at the top of page 18 on how preference points work.

So an elk and deer point should cost:
$81 small game license
$10 habitat stamp
$18 application fees
=$109+$1.75 misc fees

Correct? Hope so. Been wondering about this for awhile.

Oregon

WKR
Not that I didn’t trust cnelk, but I’m a trust and verify guy. No offense cnelk!
Colorado is getting a ton of phone calls about this.
My guy in CPW I just hung up with said it’s a no brainer. Buy small game (81$) then apply for $9 pp. Habitat stamp as well??($10).
Roughly a hundred dollar bill to get a PP for one species. Add another $9 on for each critter(deer/elk/speed goat).
Moose sheep etc different.

OP
Newtosavage
I wish we could buy a $100 bear license to qualify for the draw. Now that would make sense, esp. since it seems they are really trying to thin out the bears.

OP
Newtosavage
So what I'm reading now is a preference point is going to cost me $90/year. I guess I can do what I've been doing the past two years and just get in on the leftover sale. I'm betting this year there will be a TON of leftover tags because of this new requirement.

cnelk

WKR
No offense at all Oregon - Always best to call or email the CPW. I do it all the time

@Newtosavage - your tactic of buying leftovers certainly will work, but not knowing what the CPW will do in the future has me ALWAYS getting a PP whenever I can.

OP
Newtosavage
Pg. 16 of the Big Game Annual :

When you submit your application, you will ONLY be charged the application processing fee per species. Your credit card information will be kept on file and ONLY charged the license fee if you receive a license from the draw

Boy, if THAT'S not confusing...

No mention of preference points at all.

By the sound of that sentence, you could apply by only having paid the application processing fee, be unsuccessful in the draw, and not be out any extra money for the qualifying license. But then do you, or don't you get a preference point?

Or do they mean you will only be charged the license fee for the license you were drawn for? If that's what it means, it's not very clear.

OP
Newtosavage
No mention of having to buy qualifying licenses to purchase a leftover tag. I think I know where I'll be shopping for tags again this year. Gonna be a bumper crop of leftover tags, I think!

So if you're unsuccessful in the draw, you are now the proud owner of a small game license that you probably won't even use? That's messed up.

cnelk

WKR
No mention of having to buy qualifying licenses to purchase a leftover tag. I think I know where I'll be shopping for tags again this year. Gonna be a bumper crop of leftover tags, I think!

Dont count on it - there are people that already do this to avoid the Fees.

And now even MORE since you advertised it...

Fatcamp

WKR
Not that I didn’t trust cnelk, but I’m a trust and verify guy. No offense cnelk!
Colorado is getting a ton of phone calls about this.
My guy in CPW I just hung up with said it’s a no brainer. Buy small game (81$) then apply for $9 pp. Habitat stamp as well??($10).
Roughly a hundred dollar bill to get a PP for one species. Add another $9 on for each critter(deer/elk/speed goat).
Moose sheep etc different.

If it was a no-brainer they wouldn't be getting a ton of calls. ;)

Honestly, we as a group are far more astute when it comes to regulations and fees than the average hunter, and it is confusing many of us. Think about what their call volume will be like when they are a week out from the draw deadline.

It's all there in black and white, it's just laid out so poorly it's a wonder someone didn't call attention to it and do some editing.

njdoxie

WKR

Honestly, we as a group are far more astute when it comes to regulations and fees than the average hunter, and it is confusing many of us. Think about what their call volume will be like when they are a week out from the draw deadline.

It's all there in black and white, it's just laid out so poorly it's a wonder someone didn't call attention to it and do some editing.

I’ve always gotten an elk pp even though I’ll probably never use them, I’ve built back up to 11 now, but I’ve tried to understand this thread to decide if I want to bother anymore..... I love where I hunt otc, don’t want to learn a new unit for a one time hunt, so I’ve debated the last few years whether I should bother or not, even though I've continued to get one every year.....and I’m confused as to the new rules laid out, guess it’s time to forget pp, just buy my yearly otc tag and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage

So, I actually used to write hunting regulations for a while, and despite being a lifelong public land hunter, and despite reading, re-reading and asking other experienced hunters to review copy, occasionally something that seemed very obvious to me would still confuse the crap out of people. It happens. When you look at the ridiculous amount of regulations that have to be written, fact checked and edited every year, it's a wonder so few regulations cause confusion really.

OP
Newtosavage
I love where I hunt otc, don’t want to learn a new unit for a one time hunt,

There is a lot to be said for that right there. The 2nd year is always so much more productive in an area, in my experience. Too bad you can't use all those PP's to draw 2 years in a hunt unit. One the year you draw, and then save the other to use within say, 5 years or so.

cnelk

WKR
^^^ Thats called 'Point Banking' and was actually in effect about 10 years ago, but only for a year.

It is just another way to increase Point Creep