Sub $1k NV scopes for coyotes/hogs?

Haybale

FNG
Hi, I’m looking at spending roughly $1000 (willing to go slightly above or below) for a good night vision setup on my new ar15 in 6.5 grendel. The goal will be coyote and hogs up to and most commonly 150 yards. We will set out predator calls 50-75 yards or so for yotes, but our hog blinds are mostly 150 yards on average.

Needs:
- I need it to work day and night
- I need it to have solid resolution for shot placement and identification at 150 yards (not trying to think a small calf is a hog like some low grade thermals at distance)

My two front runners:
-ATN 4K Pro 5-20x
-Pard NV008 LRF

I am open to other suggestions, but I have read that people have success with the above paired with an after market IR (I’m thinking of the NVTC torch pro mk.iii)

The main issue with the ATN is that I’ve heard a lot of people say they have terrible customer service, they freeze, shut off, etc.

I have researched and watched videos of both. I’ve seen people show that one is good and the other is trash (both ways). I’ve read the ATN on top 10 sub 1k NV reviews but I feel like most are probably sponsored to say that.

I’m looking for anyone with experience so that I can get an honest idea of what will work the best for me at 150 yards with an after market IR torch.

Don't know what your terrian looks like but many who think they would like the 5-20X wish they had opted for the 3-14X instead because of FOV. I am an ATN X-Sight II 3-14X NV owner and have had 1 experience with CS which was 100% positive. I am 100% satisfied with my NV scope. It has a lot of bells and whistles I don't use. I really like the video capture. I have no problem making a 150 yd shot with the factory IR but would recommend an upgrade for going past 150 yds. The 4K you are looking at is the next step up from mine. If you have any brush/grass/debris between you and your target you will get back glare from the IR. The stronger your IR the worst the glare will be. Whatever IR you choose needs to have a focusable lens, dimmer switch is a plus, and must have an adjustable mount to get the IR beam centered in your scope. Keep in mind that all predators will be able to see the soft red glow of your IR. Some will pay it no mind while others will spook from it.
Setting up on a 150 yd hog feeder will not be an issue with NV but trying to scan for coyotes with the rifle will be a PIA. If you like night hunting, a thermal scanner will be a huge step up in pleasure but also $$. Good luck in your quest.
Digital NV scopes are like a camera/computer with a crosshair. Those with some computer skills tend to do better with these scopes than those without these skills. I read a bunch of negativity about ATN and the scope I bought before I bought it. 90% of the problems were because the user failed to read or understand the manual.

OP
H

Haybale

FNG
Don't know what your terrian looks like but many who think they would like the 5-20X wish they had opted for the 3-14X instead because of FOV. I am an ATN X-Sight II 3-14X NV owner and have had 1 experience with CS which was 100% positive. I am 100% satisfied with my NV scope. It has a lot of bells and whistles I don't use. I really like the video capture. I have no problem making a 150 yd shot with the factory IR but would recommend an upgrade for going past 150 yds. The 4K you are looking at is the next step up from mine. If you have any brush/grass/debris between you and your target you will get back glare from the IR. The stronger your IR the worst the glare will be. Whatever IR you choose needs to have a focusable lens, dimmer switch is a plus, and must have an adjustable mount to get the IR beam centered in your scope. Keep in mind that all predators will be able to see the soft red glow of your IR. Some will pay it no mind while others will spook from it.
Setting up on a 150 yd hog feeder will not be an issue with NV but trying to scan for coyotes with the rifle will be a PIA. If you like night hunting, a thermal scanner will be a huge step up in pleasure but also $$. Good luck in your quest.
Digital NV scopes are like a camera/computer with a crosshair. Those with some computer skills tend to do better with these scopes than those without these skills. I read a bunch of negativity about ATN and the scope I bought before I bought it. 90% of the problems were because the user failed to read or understand the manual.
CS? Not sure what that is, sorry. I have heard the same things about the 3-14 FOV but what worries me is the image quality. It seems the 5x is just such a better resolution due to the base zoom. At 150 yards, I’d assume the 5x FOV isn’t too much to handle. Ofc the sub 50 yards could be a problem. The 3-14x at 5x should be the same FOV as the 5-20 at 5x right? I hunt in south Texas so we have plenty of trees and brush, we hunt feeders that are down ~15 feet wide cut paths in the wooded areas. So I am not looking directly through brush and grass and trees as I will be up in a blind and shooting down lanes, but there definitely will be brush to the sides. As for the IR glare, I can’t do much about that. I was thinking of getting the upgraded torch that has 810, 880, and 910. Using the 910 provides a softer glow for close range coyote options. The only other option is thermal and I don’t have the budget to get into that

CS? Not sure what that is, sorry. I have heard the same things about the 3-14 FOV but what worries me is the image quality. It seems the 5x is just such a better resolution due to the base zoom. At 150 yards, I’d assume the 5x FOV isn’t too much to handle. Ofc the sub 50 yards could be a problem. The 3-14x at 5x should be the same FOV as the 5-20 at 5x right? I hunt in south Texas so we have plenty of trees and brush, we hunt feeders that are down ~15 feet wide cut paths in the wooded areas. So I am not looking directly through brush and grass and trees as I will be up in a blind and shooting down lanes, but there definitely will be brush to the sides. As for the IR glare, I can’t do much about that. I was thinking of getting the upgraded torch that has 810, 880, and 910. Using the 910 provides a softer glow for close range coyote options. The only other option is thermal and I don’t have the budget to get into that
CS = customer service.
I'm in the same boat wanting a NV scope. Just have never pulled the trigger. It opens up a whole new area of hunting and I'm pretty maxed out on the hunting time. Not sure my wife would stick around...not saying I would blame her.. 😅

yotehunt

FNG
I am still not a fan of digital NV. I just tried the new wraith 4k, trash. I would look into the bering optics trifecta and a sniper hog cannon ir.