Sub-$200 range finder

dmozer74

FNG
I’m getting started on putting together proper gear for my Colorado elk and mule deer hunting. My budget for accessories is tight and I’ve pinpointed three main options for a range finder below $200:
Vortex Impact 1000
Leupold RX-1400i TBR Laser Rangefinder
Nikon Prostaff 1000i

I won’t be shooting past 400 yards and I really just need something to work well enough for about 4-5 years until I can spend more serious money on a rangefinding binocular or higher end rangefinder. If there is something else I should consider or used models to be had in that price range please advise.

Antares

WKR
Even if you only want to shoot under 400 yards, it's awful nice to be able to range 1000+ yards. Helps you figure out how much closer you need to get.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my leica rangemaster 1200 on ebay for 225. That seemed to be the going price. It'll beat anything in your price range If you don't need angle compensation for archery. I don't think you'll ever have to upgrade. I "upgraded" to a monarch stabilized 3000 and the leica was better in every way other then the angle compensation which I needed

CMF

WKR
I have the Impact.
I wish I would have got something with a red display instead of black for low light, even if you have to push the budget.
I also had problems ranging at high elevation when clouds/fog rolled in, but that problem probably isn't just with the Impact, but I don't know.
Otherwise, it's way better than the old Wildgame Innovations it replaced.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Before you do it, I'd check the warranty. I know some people have issues with them, but vortex is one of the few that have the lifetime warranty on electronics.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Before you do it, I'd check the warranty. I know some people have issues with them, but vortex is one of the few that have the lifetime warranty on electronics.
Athlon is a lifetime no fault warranty, however, their quality control is excellent so you most likely won't need a warranty :)

Crusader

WKR
Doug, is the readout of the Athlon unit you posted red or black? I didn't see that info in the specs.

Michael k

FNG
I have the vortex impact 850. Love it so far!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@dmozer74 I'm in the same research mode you were last year with a similar budget. I have an old Bushnell that claims to have a max range of 800 yards. My neighbors 500 ft long barn will not register over 300 yards. I use the finder for rifle/archery but no angle comp, which I would like. I borrowed my brothers low end Leupold on a recent hunt and it was just a bit better. Barn sized items registered up to 400 (my max rifle range). Curious if you went with the Athlon and would you recommend it? TIA

nastynick

FNG
Don’t bypass Sig Sauer rangefinders. I think they’re easy to use, have a few options in your price range and the warranty, which I tested unfortunately, is fantastic.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I am really with my Leupold rx-1400. It has a red display and gives very fast readings. The scan feature is nice too. It has angle compensation. Another interesting feature is that it can give readouts for making adjustments and hold overs to your scope for long range shooting. I have not played with this yet though so I cannot give you any real world experience as to how well it works. I don't remember the specific details of the warranty but my brother had a Leupold rangefinder and the battery inside exploded wrecking it. Leupold sent him a new one free of charge. I do not recall how old it was but I know he had it a few years when it broke.

@zr600 , @nastynick , @Elmer J. Fudd Appreciate the info from all. A quick check online shows Leupold 1400 with great features, some mixed reviews and a 2 year warranty. Some of the poor reviews were upset that Leupold did not make them and they came from overseas. The Sig Sauer entry level has all the features I need, one review, that was positive, and a 5 year Warranty. Vortex also had good reviews and the VIP lifetime warranty. All fit my budget so I will do some more research and let you know what I end up with. Thank you!