sub $300 rifle scope recommendations?

sk1

WKR
just what it says.....i dont use my rifle very often but am in need of a new scope. i like 4-12 power, but 3-9 will do if it has to. should i just go with something like a vortex diamondback for the warranty? or is there something out there that stands out above this choice?

also, i wont be going over the $300 mark with the limited use my rifle gets i just dont want to spend it, so lets try and stay in the budget! it seems like my budget of choice is about $150 off from the next class of scope, but i just cant justify it. thanks for your suggestions

edit: if it makes a difference, it's for a ruger m77 270

bowinhand

WKR
I just got a 4-12x40 diamond back scope and so far it seems good. good repeatable movents of the turrets and I can't tell the difference in glass between it and leopold or burris scopes of a little higher price. The ziess looked better but more expensive, the redfields didn't impress me and I never got to look through the minox and compare it the vortex.

Every rifle I have put together over the years wears a Burris of some flavor. From a Ruger 10/22 to my 375 H&H. Never a problem with function, adjustments or changes to point of impact.
My first Burris just found a home on a little 7-08 I am putting together for my niece and nephew to use. The new Burris just arrived to go on a project 7x57 that I have been tweaking and modifying since I was 16.
At the price point I don't think you will go wrong checking them out.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i was considering the vortex diamondback 3.5-10x50.....that nikon suggested looks like it has great feedback but am not sure how i feel about nikon in general, luke also suggested the leupold vx2 which looks good, and i totally forgot to look into burris, am doing some searches now. i havent needed a new riflescope since for the last 14 years, decisions decisions...

Ironman8

WKR
Call Elknut (elknut.com) and ask about the Diamondback. I spoke with him recently and he mentioned that he thought the Diamondback glass was every bit as good as a Leupy VX-III. And his prices are the best I've seen...and I do lots of price searching ;)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using leupold vx2's for decades. They will serve you well and have the leupold warranty. In addition for a minimal fee you can send the scope to the custom shop to change the reticle or customize later. 299 at cabelas.

JNDEER

WKR
Have the diamondback on my 7mm. for the little rifle hunting I do it has suited my needs just fine.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Bushnell Elite scopes are good value for the money and have a decent warranty. For budget optics they can be some of the best value and you can sometimes find them at steep discounts.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Just started using the Burris C4 and I've been extremely pleased with its performance. Really like the custom bullet drop compensater option. Used Leupold VXII's for years but felt like their quality has gone down hill. IMO, the VXIIs that I own/owned aren't anywhere near as clear as the Burris C4 line. 3-9x40 C4 is on sale for $249 at cabelas with free rings.

$

I have the Diamondback 4-12 on my coyote hunting AR. Has been a great scope for the money. Like it way better then any Leupold in the same price range. Has a bigger FOV that most scopes with a 50 MM objective which IMO is really nice when tracking animals in the scope.

I have the following scopes Minox ZA5 3-15, Diamondback 4-12, Leupold VXII 3-9, Nikon Prostaff 3-9, Zeiss 3-9 and Redfield 3-9.

I would rate the following

1 Zeiss, but more money best glass by far
2 Minox only because it is clearer at higher magnification then diamondback
3 Diamondback
4 Nikon
5 Leupold
6 Redfield Older model though

Last edited:
I will echo what Ross said. It also wouldn't hurt to look for an older used VXIII. The quality difference between a 3.5-10 VXIII and a VX2 3-9 is noticeable. I have a 3.5-10 and a 2.5-8 I picked up for less than $300 each.

A note on Leupold's CS. 12 years ago, I had an old 3-9 VX2 (friction turrets) fog up a little on a particularly wet elk hunt. I called them on Monday morning. I sent it to them on tuesday and had the scope back by Friday, completely refurbished. I have heard similar tales from other folks.

tstowater

WKR
I'm with Sam. I have acquired several (well, more than several) VXII & VXIII's without any concern and have had no issues with them. I love the 3.5-10's.

Wrongside

WKR
I've been using leupold vx2's for decades. They will serve you well and have the leupold warranty. In addition for a minimal fee you can send the scope to the custom shop to change the reticle or customize later. 299 at cabelas.

This right here. Or shop for a lightly used VXIII.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you guys haven't looked through or compared an older VX-III to a newer VX-2 (not VX-II) I think you'd be impressed. They are every bit as good if not better IMO after having both.

That said if you are going to end up putting the scope on a heavy Ruger M77 (I have one too and it shoot great but its a toad) I'd go with a Zeiss scope. They are heavy SOBs for a rifle scope IMO but going on the rifle you mentioned light weight isn't the goal anyways and Zeiss far and away out light gathers the Vortex Viper scopes (which are better than the Diamondbacks mentioned in this thread) or Leupold VX-2 or VX-3s. Impressive scopes for sure....and I'm just talking about the lowest model (Conquest) line. But they will run you more than $300 likely.

For the money the Leupold VX-2 IMO is hard to beat. Like Ross I have used them for quite a long time and have never had one lose zero or fog up. Same can't be said about a couple of the Nikons I've owned.

Luke is probably right. I bought a 3x9 Rifleman several years ago for under $200 to put on a 223 "truck gun" that was as good as my older VXIIs...and had click adjustments. Back in the day, I thought the clicks instead of the friction turrets were worth the extra dough when comparing the IIs and IIIs.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a Leupold for an all around hunting scope!

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 on my 25.06. It's a tough scope. Shot a deer with it on Monday at 400 yards. It held up through the rocks and canyons. I got mine for 183 bucks from elknut.