Sub 3lb shelter and sleep system

Lawnboi

WKR
Lawnboi, the paratarp is listed at 13.4 oz without guy lines or stakes. What stakes and how many are you using to be at just 14 oz. Seems just adding guylines and seam sealing will get your north of 15 oz before stakes...just curious.

ptarp_zps850401fc.jpg

This is with 4 stakes, and no guy lines. This is a lighest weight option for me. Im always carrying a bunch of cordage for whatever the use so I don't count in guy lines (cordage has multiple uses all the time, especially if it isn't permanently affixed to my tarp). This setup with 4 stakes is for a flat pitch If im going to pitch it the traditional way im going to have to up the stake count and might even carry some guy lines.

Its seam sealed as well. I went a little overboard on the seam sealer as well! All the guy outs are sealed along with all seams.

The stakes are groundhog mini's, awesome little and very light weight stakes.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
the zpack tents just dont look very solid to me, i dont know how much faith id have to stick out a storm in one?

From what I have read the cubin fiber is very strong. There are a lot of "through hikers" using them on the PCT and other long trails. Like I said in another post I have been in storms before under a tarp and it's not too bad. If it ever got really bad you could take it down and just roll it around you.

Lawnboi

WKR
Like I said in another post I have been in storms before under a tarp and it's not too bad. If it ever got really bad you could take it down and just roll it around you.

This is why I really like the paratarp. I can pitch it flat like a regular tarp. If the weather gets that bad I can pitch it in the traditional manner and have a pretty bombproof shelter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
ptarp_zps850401fc.jpg

This is with 4 stakes, and no guy lines. This is a lighest weight option for me. Im always carrying a bunch of cordage for whatever the use so I don't count in guy lines (cordage has multiple uses all the time, especially if it isn't permanently affixed to my tarp). This setup with 4 stakes is for a flat pitch If im going to pitch it the traditional way im going to have to up the stake count and might even carry some guy lines.

Its seam sealed as well. I went a little overboard on the seam sealer as well! All the guy outs are sealed along with all seams.

The stakes are groundhog mini's, awesome little and very light weight stakes.

Right on....looks like Kifaru needs to update their numbers. Though from what I understand the cordage off the front peak is need to setup the paratarp? Also I wouldn't get anywhere to setup a tarp anywhere exposed with just 4 of those mini stakes....tried the mini ground hogs, light, but not near as functional as the originals in my experience. I'd rather pack an extra couple oz of stakes to get a couple more and know they'd actually stay staked out.

What has been your experience with using just 4 stakes and the paratarp? Got any pics?

Lawnboi

WKR
Right on....looks like Kifaru needs to update their numbers. Though from what I understand the cordage off the front peak is need to setup the paratarp? Also I wouldn't get anywhere to setup a tarp anywhere exposed with just 4 of those mini stakes....tried the mini ground hogs, light, but not near as functional as the originals in my experience. I'd rather pack an extra couple oz of stakes to get a couple more and know they'd actually stay staked out. If im going to an area where I know im going to be exposed I carry a hand full of groundhogs and a few mini groundhogs for the in between points.

What has been your experience with using just 4 stakes and the paratarp? Got any pics?

You don't need the cordage off the front, especially if im pitching it flat or with 1 side raised. The cord off the front is nice when any serious weather is expected. You do need it to pitch it A frame. Also more cordage for the guy outs is nice if your pitching it traditionally. Cordage goes a long way though to securing the ptarp for me. If im in the trees ill use them and just use cordage for a few points. Theres so many ways to pitch the ptarp iv still got a lot of playing around to do. It all depends on location though how many stakes im using and how much cordage im using. That's why I don't leave cordage attached to the tarp in cut sections.

If im using those mini groundhogs chances are that im putting rocks on top of the stakes after I put them in. I don't cap in areas where the ground is very soft and iv found that the normal groundhogs are a little overkill. Id only take 4 if I was planning on staying in the timber the whole time, where iv got recourses to use and will not be encountering too much wind.

I havnt pitched it with 4 in the field, I was just making an absolute minimal setup to get the thing up. In reality ill probably carry a couple extra stakes. Usually not more than 6 unless im going to be in the wide open then ill carry enough, along with a couple of the normal grounghogs for the 4 main points of the tarp.

You could pitch it a frame also with 4 stakes, youd just have to tie off the cord to a tree.

I thought kifaru used to have the ptarp listed at a minimal weight of 11oz.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
This year dirtytough and myself are going even lighter than we have in the past. Our goal is to get our camp weight with pack under 10 lbs. This makes it possible for us to go for about five to seven days of hunting under 40 lbs. total pack weight. What do you guys think?

Therm-a-Rest Xtherm 15 oz.
Nunatak Arc Ghost 32* Quilt 14 oz.
Ti Goat Raven Omni Bivy 7 oz.
Zpacks Heximid solo plus tarp 7.1 oz. including 10 stakes.

Total weight is 43.1 oz.
or 2 lbs 11.1 oz.

yeah my sleep system would be pretty light to if i could sleep in a mitten. you little guys make me sick...

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
All that gear would fit you except the quilt. The long quilt would work though and I think it's only 16 oz. I guess you would want the long pad too which would be a couple more oz.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered the tarp and stakes. I also ordered two belt pockets from zpacks.com (.75 oz ea) and a shoulderstrap pocket (.3 oz) to use on my T1.

I plan to do some mods to the pack to lose some weight on it but I have to send it to Kifaru tomorrow for a couple small repairs. One of the things I'm thinking about changing on the pack is the lid. Rather than take the lid off I'm looking into having a cuben fiber lid made with a map pocket. This would make my pack lighter and the lid would be water proof.

littlebuf

Banned
think ive decided to go with a zpacks 30* long/wide bag. should break down like this

zpacks 30* extra long wide -18.2 oz
thermarest zlite- 14 oz
tarptent rain squall 2- 34 oz

total 4.1 pounds

add my T1 and im at 9.75 pounds for camp. just squks under 10 pounds but thats a two man shelter that im pretty comfy in too. i can get 7 days wirth of food at right around another 10 pounds and my stove and pot weigh nothing. figure 20 pounds for a weeks camp with food. the rest is gravy. come on early season

You're about my size.

I'm 6'4 265

Take a look at enlightened equipment quilts. You may be pleased with what you find. The girth on the Zpacks bag might be a little constricting on yah.

Also, take a look at the montbell UL Super spiral. I had one of those and its a great light bag for us bigger guys. It ran about 23 oz's so it'll be a tad heavier but it'll be way more comfy than the Zpacks coffin I can promise you that.

girth at 62 inches is a coffin for a bigger guy like yourself. Take a tape measure and wrap it around your arms/chest/back. My measurement is 61 inches and that is with -0- wiggle room. You can even make it 62 inches and see just how much room you have inside the bag before you drop that coin.

Yeti

FNG
girth at 62 inches is a coffin for a bigger guy like yourself. Take a tape measure and wrap it around your arms/chest/back. My measurement is 61 inches and that is with -0- wiggle room. You can even make it 62 inches and see just how much room you have inside the bag before you drop that coin.

I'm the same size as you two and will tell you that the so called wide cuts really don't mean anything IMO for people of our size. I have tried many bags and found the U.L Montbell to have to most room by far. Quilts would be the second option ,I have one from enlightened equipment but really only use it as a blanket during the warmer months.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I received my cubin fiber tarp and belt pouches yesterday. I'll set it up and take some pics when I get a chance. The quality of the gear seems to be pretty good from what I can see so far.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here is everything set up. Still don't have my new quilt so I put my helium in there to see how everything fit.

20130223_134153_zps6dd3914a.jpg

You guys are amazing! I have no idea how much my sleep system is but it includes a golite 5 with nest, a seek outside nest, and my bag and pad. I share the space with my dad. Sometimes we take the stove but it wasn't needed last year. It is a bomb proof setup.

slim9300

WKR
My setup is all about UL comfort. :)

Kifaru Timberline 1 w/ aluminum stays and small belt pouch: 97 ounces

1/2 of Kifaru MegaTarp w/ MSR reflective guy lines & 14 MSR stakes: 16.65 ounces (A backcountry palace for two)

TiGoat Raven Omni bivy w/ bug mesh: 8.6 ounces

BA Q-core SL (78x20"): 21.7 ounces

Marmot Helium long w/ Überlight stuff sack: 37 ounces

Total weight: 11.31 lbs. (181 ounces)

I could cut a few ounces off my pad pretty easily but 3.5" of thickness and a 4.5 R-value is tough to beat for a soft individual like myself. Plus, the bivy could easily be replaced with Tyvek if I wasn't worried about condensation. Or I could take my Marmot Hydrogen bag (30*) and save about 8 ounces. When it all comes down to it, I pay about a 16 ounce penalty for maximum comfort.

Last edited: