Sub 3lb shelter and sleep system

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If there is enough interest i will sleep in the lbo this week. We are supposed to have rain and snow.

Rizzy

WKR
The worst I've had the Supertarp in was a moderate October snowstorm. A couple inches of snowfall on top of 6" of snowpack and light winds. The rain I have encountered here is always light to moderate. I had some condensation and a little bit of sag, really nothing I didn't expect in those conditions with that type of shelter. The tarps work fine, in all the weather I have encountered so far, if the site selection and sleep system is adequate. I still don't feel comfortable using quilts or down in October in the Rockies though;)

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well I put my sleep system to another test this weekend. I had strong winds and rain the first night and blowing snow and freezing rain the second night. The shelter held up really well. I do plan on adding the "beak" soon so that I have more room for my gear.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Good review, thanks.

I think I am right at 3.8lbs with my bora 8x10 tarp, guidelines, stakes, bora bivy, zpacks 20 deg bag, and thermorest xtherm. I have had it in some mild rain, snow, and thunder/lighting storms down to about 30 deg. It's Pretty luxurious for my solo stuff, while I am thinking of going a different direction with my bivy next year, all in all I am happy with it.

My seven day entire pack weight food, water, everything out the door last year was 28. You guys got a ways to go if your still in the 40's.
Stone glacier solo 3.6
neo air x-lite womens 11oz
ti-goat partigan bivy 7.1 oz
enlightened equipment rev x 20 degree quilt 23.5 oz
6x9 sil nylon tarp 7 0z.

slim9300

WKR
My seven day entire pack weight food, water, everything out the door last year was 28. You guys got a ways to go if your still in the 40's.
Stone glacier solo 3.6
6x9 sil nylon tarp 7 0z.

Lol. I'll take my 'comfort' gear any day of the week.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Stone glacier solo 3.6
6x9 sil nylon tarp 7 0z.

I'm at 40 lbs with a 9.5 lb long range hunting rifle and a Leica 77mm spotting scope.

I'm also using a pack that will carry more weight than I can.

If you can get below 30lbs with all that, I would love to see the gear list.

boom

WKR
Stone glacier solo 3.6
6x9 sil nylon tarp 7 0z.

that is light!! out the door?!! what is the weapon of choice?..a bow?, a rifle? or you just whittling out a slingshot when you get there and firing rocks picked up from a river bed :D

i am nowhere near that. i was pretty happy with my entire pack, with water and archery stuff coming in at 45ish.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Water and food are huge variables too. I'm packing a 3l bag of water, and I carry a quite few calories as I don't feel like being much lighter than I am as my pack belt will be too long. Guys that live on a few candy bars and pack 32oz of water can get some pretty crazy pack weights. All part of the comfort/weight never ending dance.

Last edited:
Stone glacier solo 3.6
6x9 sil nylon tarp 7 0z.

I also would like to hear about your gear list, how it worked for you and how often you used it.

dotman

WKR
Crap just my food, water and cook kit probably weigh around 15-16lbs min. Pack is probably 5lbs. So I have 7lbs remaining to play with for everything else! Kill kit alone is almost 2lb. I don't get how it is possible unless your eating leaves and killing squirrels with your hands as you walk using an open fire to cook and sleeping in an emergency blanket under a pillow case. :)

I am sure glad I opened this thread and read from start to finish. Now I have to go home after work and weigh everything to see how much heavier I am than the rest of you. Another item to put on my to-do list.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justinspicher,
Let me know if you want the pack weight calculator spreadsheet. I'll email it to you.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
This thread inspired me to go home and weight my gear. I knew I was heavier than I should be due to buying gear with limited funds in college but I had no idea. My sleeping system alone is 11.10 lbs. Going to be making some changes there. I calculated what I'd like to get and then calculated the cost per ounce I would loose to help decide what to start with.

300WSM

FNG
I will bump this to the top

Home made tent with stakes 23oz
EE Enigma 16oz
Thermorest 3/4 pad 11oz

Total 50oz