Sub- 4# 2-man Tent Recommendations?

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Ok this is just for me... I like the room of the 2 man sized tents. Other requirements... I need an attached floor! I've been there and done that when it comes to tarps, shelters etc... Where I do 90% of my hunting, ants are a huge issue and simply won't deal with it... So I'm looking for a tent. Double walled also... Having to deal with condensation and part of having the 2 man is being able to bring your gear into the tent and if it gets wet, well, you know how well that will work with a single wall. Price is not a deal breaker but will definately be considered in the "tie-breaker" and free-standing or not is not an issue.... Thanks for any help!!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL or Copper Spur UL. Fine tents and very light. A tyvek groundsheet will preserve the floor.

littlebuf

Banned
Tarp tent squall 2. I forget the exact weight right now but its light and roomy.look up there web site you'll find one you like.lighter than big angus too

littlebuf

Banned
Oops didn't see the souble wall part.I don't see a need for double wall myself.just extra weight

OP
gil_wy

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Tarptent and an MSR Missing Link and I fought condensation constantly... Both were great and well built but just not worth fighting IMHO...

littlebuf

Banned
Carbon reflex 2 is on steep and cheap right now for 41%the off

stephen b

WKR
One option to consider is a Golite SL-3; which could easily be a 4 season set-up in the right set up area. If you skip using their nest (that now comes with the shell, instead of selling the shell only like they did before) and a interior nest from either bear paw, or MLD will get you well under 4lbs. If you use Golite SL-3 shell and their nest- it will come out at 4 lbs. 5oz. with the pole that comes with it. If you use trekking poles, or a branch from the area- it will put you under 4 lbs.

Thing is- if you use a smaller nest (1-2 man) from a company like bear paw- you will only be a little over 3 lbs and you will have a large floorless vestibule area and a double walled sleeping area- just like any other tent. But ...with the benefit of the large floorless area inside the tipi next to the nest, you can just walk in and out and not have to worry about taking off the boots. Plus having a large vestibule area with no floor, it makes it really nice for cooking inside the tipi in adverse weather.

The SL-3 is a great solo set up.

Last edited:
B

bearguide

hilleburg nallo 2 / 4lb 3 oz or nallo 2 gt has a vestable which is nice 4lb 14 oz //we used the nallo 2 gt on our sheep hunt in the chugash last year in nasty wet blowing sleet conditions / it functioned great. we started out with a marmot single wall that we use it wyoming( where it works fine ) but after days of rain and condensation on the inside we were wet, so our guide gave us a nallo 2gt and saved the rest of the trip/ they are expensive

B

bearguide

we used a megamid by black diamond single wall floor less shelter that worked better than our marmot single wall because of the ventilation from under all the sides / not warm

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-2. It packs down very small and you can purchase the footprint for it which is only an extra 5 oz.

I would recommend Kifaru sawtooth, supertarp, paratipi, 4 man tipi. but you mentioned had to have attached floor. Anyway to change this? The no floor thing is really nice once you try it. The benefits of no floor out weigh the floor.

Last edited:

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
If you are a tall guy check out the Sierra Designs Vapor Light XL 2...93" long and a packed weight of 4lb 1ounce. I am a 6' 4" and this is the only tent I tried where I didn't touch the walls. Can be had for under $300.

OP
gil_wy

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys... I'm going to also look at the Kelty Salida 2 based on Backpacker Magazines reviews... anyone tried it?