Sub $400 backpack sleeping bag

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase a sleeping bag for backpack hunting. I have a budget of $400, but less is always better.

Sept/ Oct in the Idaho Panhandle.

I have a Big Agnes SLX Q Core sleeping pad.

Side sleeper, 5'-9", 190lbs.

*zap*

WKR
I have an older WM Versalite 0 bag, got it back from WM in January. They did some repairs, brought the down back to spec and added an overfill. 6' and left zip. $345 tyd.
Same as a new on other than no draft collar.....they did add a draft collar to the top of the bag but it is not like what the new ones have. Couple of ember hole patches. Really not in bad condition at all....comes with a generic stuff sack and NO storage sack.

I have grown more fond of a long bag as i have aged so this is for sale, I replaced it with a 6'6" Kodiak.

My most recent bag is a Never Summer. For the price/weight/warmth it is really hard to beat at 300$.

I just picked up a kifaru slick bag on sale. Love it, except it did not come with the autographed picture of @Aron Snyder that I requested.

prior to that, I had even using a Nemo sleeping bag I bought from REI. It has an hourglass sale that is awesome for side sleeping as well as some other cool features. The nemo is an outstanding bag for the price, it just doesn’t boost my testosterone and make me kill animals better like the kifaru does.

Enlightened is a good option. I bought an apex convert a while back. The finished product isn’t exactly what I was hoping for but it is a good piece of kit.

Look for a pad with a higher R value (assuming you have the regular SLX pad and not the deluxe version). This will go a long way to keeping you warmer in colder temperatures.

From there I'd see about taking advantage of deals with MooseJaw or REI based upon personal preferences. Some folks love down and others love synthetic. Some folks love rectangular bags while others love mummy and yet others love quilts. There's also buying used.

After suffering through "lesser" down bags, I stepped up to Western Mountaineering and have not looked back. I love my Antelope but my MegaLite gets the bulk of use and it has proven itself to the mid-20s (with a X-Therm pad).

FNG
My most recent bag is a Never Summer. For the price/weight/warmth it is really hard to beat at 300$.
I have used one for the past 3-4 seasons. The odd feather seems to come out but all in all it’s a good value for the dollar. 👍

Lowg08

WKR
I’m 6’2 225 and a side sleeper and really broad shoulders. I went with a big Agnes echo park 0 with the same pad you have in 30” wide. I was willing to pay the weight penalty. I base camp though. It was I think 220 Maybe? It is the long wide and it’s really really roomy

Patty

FNG
big fan of my nemo down bag, packs up tight and light and very warm, plus it has chest vents you can unzip if you get too hot