Sub 6lbs .300 Win?

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Is anybody shooting a sub 6lbs(without scope and whatnot) .300 Win mag for less that $2000?
I would like to add a .300 to my kit yet don’t want a “heavy” gun or one that breaks the bank.
curious what is out there that you have experience with.
thanks.

slowelk

WKR
My dad shoots and 8.5# braked 300 WM, and that's about as much gun as I'd like to shoot at that weight for any type of reps.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
I have a braked 300WM that naked weighs just under 8#. I can't image shooting one that's 2 pounds less. Sorry, not in line with your request for info from those who do, but I don't.
The old line about we wish to carry light guns and shoot heavy guns still applies.

khuber84

WKR
I have a kimber Montana 338wm that's been cut to 23" and added some titanium goodies to lighten it further. Recoil on thay sucker is stout from a bench but not so much in the field. Put a brake on it and it'll be very tolerable.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fierce Carbon Fury, 24" barrel .300 win mag. I believe their advertised weight was 6.6 lbs. I could put about two boxes worth of Barnes 190 LRX through it during my initial break-in, sight in and first practice session before it was getting uncomfortable This was without the muzzle break on it. Which was very surprising for me, of course the brake would help as well. This shooting was prone with a bag and a bipod, no lead sled.

Previously, I had a Tikka T3x Lite .300 win mag where after about 10-15 rounds I was starting to feel it, that had a limbsaver installed as well, no brake.

I believe the Tikka and a Kimber would be a tad lighter, but man I am much happier to shoot the Fierce. I'll be using the Fierce for goats, black and brown bears and maybe moose someday. I also had a Murphy Ti Rail, Seekins Rings and Nightforce SHV 3-10 on it for reference.

tdhanses

WKR
My 300wsm is 6lbs 5oz naked with a brake, it’s not bad to shoot at all, so I wouldn’t worry too much about a 300wm. If needed get a brake for it.

Broomd

WKR
I had a Left handed HS Precision Professional Lightweight Hunter .300WSM that weighed 5.11oz pre scope.

That gun would loosen my fillings, absolute torture to shoot. I sold it to a collector as it was a very rare and beautiful rifle, but he wasn't very happy after shooting it. It was accurate as hell, but a beast with recoil.

My setup for my T3X in 300 Win Mag, including rings/base and VX6HD, was right at $2000. The rifle, scope, magazine and 3 rounds weighs right at 8 pounds. While it is my favorite rifle and I shoot it very well...

1) I would not want it any lighter.
2) I would not want to shoot 100 rounds through it in a single day.

We all feel and handle recoil differently. While this T3X has recoil, I do not find it nearly as abusive as others claim it to be. However, anything over a 9mm in a handgun is starting to push what I can tolerate. Go figure.

elkguide

WKR
I have a Brown Precision rifle in .300 Win Mag that weighs 7#3oz scoped and it has a pretty good kick to it but tolerable and I have a .300 WSM in a Kimber Montana that weighs 7#6oz scoped and those 3 oz seem to make a big difference in felt recoil. For years I chased the lighter is better dream but I've now settled on either an 8# 6 oz Cooper in .300 WM or an 8# 5 oz Christensen Arms Custom in .300 RUM (with a brake!) as my go to hunting rifles.

My Tikka T3x SL came in at 5 pounds 15 ounces. I put a Limbsaver on it and it really wasn’t that bad to shoot. I could comfortably shoot 15 rounds but after that I really had to focus on my form and trigger control. I put a brake on it and it’s so much nicer to shoot after that. I shot close to 50 rounds a few weeks ago and didn’t feel like I was shooting a fairly lightweight 300 WM.

I have a RM700 with a AG carbon fiber stock with optic it 8.3#. It does have a break...I have shot exactly 2x without the brake. I wouldnt go under 8# with a 300 win mag.

sako75

FNG
I have a Rifles Inc 300 win mag it weighs 5Lbs 4 ounces bare and 6lbs 7 ounces scoped with a muzzle brake. The only gun I own with one. Shooting it is not bad at all for recoil but very noisy. Your shooting skills have to be good to shoot a gun that light sometimes a little more weight is worth it

Dhbwa

WKR
I had a 6lb bare 300WM that wasn’t all that bad. Wish I hadn’t sold it. Now my only 300 is a WBY version. #2 Lilja in a McM Hunters Edge it’s about 6.5 bare. Recoil is stout but very accurate so it’s staying here....
Everybody is different...I hate brakes so I deal with recoil.....

Rusty85

WKR
I have an unbraked custom shop Weatherby Outfitter in 300 bee. Scoped it weighs right at 7 pounds. It’s recoil is very manageable with 175-190 pills, it really starts to bark with 200+ grain bullets.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Easiest way to get there is to buy a Kimber montana, take the 29 oz stock off. Sent to extreme rifle works for an Mpi ultralight stock( 15oz). None of the Fierce rifles are close to that including the titanium.