Sub 6lbs .300 Win?

Bulldawg

WKR
I have a number Montana .300 I’ve been thinking about selling if you are interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Chase function, not numbers! No .300 mag has any biz being sub 6#. That’s something quantitative the internet might pursue, but not experienced hunters who know better.

Chase function, not numbers! No .300 mag has any biz being sub 6#. That’s something quantitative the internet might pursue, but not experienced hunters who know better.
Per Tikka, my T3 6-1/4 pounds. I have harvested a whole lots animals with it, with no issues. I would have no problem wit a sub 6 pound 300 mag, 300 PRC or any of the big cartridges, or smaller for that matter. For the most part, we are firing one shot while hunting. Not sitting at a bench all or half the day. But multiple shots hunting are certianly possible., as I once took 4 pigs with 5 shots, hitting one twice, while my partner got 3 pigs with 3 shots. Both of us shooting bolt actions. Granted, lighter rifles are difficult to shoot accurately for most people.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I would go the kimber Montana and knock a couple inches off the barrel, add some titanium and call it a day.
My .338 Montana is also bobbed to 23”, few titanium parts, Talley rings, 2.5-8x36 leupold sitting in a Pendleton composite stock with steel bottom metal and it’s 6lbs 15 Oz all up. I will probably get around to converting it to a blind mag or alloy bottom metal to drop it down to around 6 lbs 6 Oz total. I run full house 250 grain loads out of it and think it’s easier to shoot then my previous 9+lb browning I had in .338 or in other words it’s recoil is very manageable from the bench and unnoticeable in the field. You just need to find a rifle that fits and don’t go down this road if your recoil sensitive.

neverquit

WKR
My Christensen arms ridgeline is listed at 6.5 or so. With a brake my 12 year daughter handles it pretty good.

kickemall

WKR
The biggest problem I've found with a light .300 wm isn't so much the pain of the recoil because most of us can handle that at least for multiple shots, especially in a hunting situation. Its being able to stay on target and spot my shot then still be on target for a quick follow up if needed. This is an important aspect to me with any caliber rifle I shoot.

Sevens

WKR
I have a Rifles Inc 300 win mag it weighs 5Lbs 4 ounces bare and 6lbs 7 ounces scoped with a muzzle brake. The only gun I own with one. Shooting it is not bad at all for recoil but very noisy. Your shooting skills have to be good to shoot a gun that light sometimes a little more weight is worth it
I also have a Rifles Inc Strata in 300 Weatherby Mag that is 5.25 pounds bare. If you search, you usually can find one for under $2k. You can even send it back to Rifles Inc for a refurb if that matters to you.
4AE90DBB-603A-4A96-9C2A-9D905D5CCBE4.jpeg

Teaman1

WKR
I have a 325 wsm that weighs 6.85 pounds with the scope and no muzzle break. Took me a few range trips to get used to it, but I love it now

Last edited:

CLP

FNG
I've also got a Rifles Inc Strata that I picked up used last fall for a shade over $2k. It's a 300 RUM weighing 5LB 10OZ and it's stupid accurate if you can hold onto it tight enough.

Like a lot of guys stated here, I had to shoot that rifle a lot to get used to the recoil.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Fierce Carbon Fury, 24" barrel .300 win mag. I believe their advertised weight was 6.6 lbs. I could put about two boxes worth of Barnes 190 LRX through it during my initial break-in, sight in and first practice session before it was getting uncomfortable This was without the muzzle break on it. Which was very surprising for me, of course the brake would help as well. This shooting was prone with a bag and a bipod, no lead sled.

Previously, I had a Tikka T3x Lite .300 win mag where after about 10-15 rounds I was starting to feel it, that had a limbsaver installed as well, no brake.

I believe the Tikka and a Kimber would be a tad lighter, but man I am much happier to shoot the Fierce. I'll be using the Fierce for goats, black and brown bears and maybe moose someday. I also had a Murphy Ti Rail, Seekins Rings and Nightforce SHV 3-10 on it for reference.
How’s this rifle working out for you? I’ve been thinking about it and trying to read as much as I can on it.
Are you shooting any factory ammo at the .5 MOA, if so which ammo?
Any dislikes so far?
Would like to hear your review of the gun and caliber.

Broomd

WKR
I had a LH H.S. precision professional hunter lightweight in .300 wsm that weighed an honest 5'12oz. bare.
I had gone beyond the factory weight loss by fluting the bolt, hollowing the bolt handle, skeletonizng the detachable mag, etc.
It was a gorgeous gun, light as a feather, but good lord, it would flat out loosen your teeth fillings. Pure torture to shoot.
I sold the gun to a very wealthy LH collector and, while he loved to collect and shoot his rare LH guns, he absolutely loathed shooting that H.S. and made me aware of that immediatley after his first range trip.

"Light is right" in my book, but I'll never own another magnum in a mountain gun, ever.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
I bought a CA Mesa Ti (300 WM) and swapped out the stock a Mesa Altitude. All in it cost me just about 2k after selling the standard stock and weighs about 6 lb 4 oz.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
How’s this rifle working out for you? I’ve been thinking about it and trying to read as much as I can on it.
Are you shooting any factory ammo at the .5 MOA, if so which ammo?
Any dislikes so far?
Would like to hear your review of the gun and caliber.
You can feel free to message me in 2-3 months if you haven't purchased one so far and are still curious. I was happy with the results of Barnes 190gr LRX last spring before I took it on a black bear hunt. Over the summer I swapped out to a lower set of rings and had to go through the process of re-sighting it in. I didn't have the same decent results with the 190 grain LRX the second time. I didn't end up taking this rifle on my goat hunt because I didn't have time to keep experimenting with other factory rounds (too busy flying to spend a lot of time at the range). In Feb/March I plan on getting back out to the range to experiment more and can update you on what it likes. I also want to see how it differs when I put the brake on.

One thing I noticed, you sometimes you need to eject the spent case with authority or else it might fail to clear the chamber completely. Maybe that issue was specific to the Barnes ammo I was using? Or maybe it's caliber specific? Once I try other factory rounds I'll find out.

What I would consider a positive for this rifle compared to others I was considering is that it holds 4 + 1 rounds, vs a lot of others are 3 +1 for 300 win mags. Like for instance the Proof Elevation rifle is 3 +1. Personal choice here but the stock also fit me the best compared to Christensen, Seekins, Browning, Kimber, etc. I like a stock with a higher comb, such as what Fierce uses.