Subsonic Blackout load

I recently worked up a load using the 190 sub x. Federal small rifle match primers and 12.4 grains of A1680 using Sig brass. Velocity averages 1020 over my magnetospeed. Been getting an SD around 15 fps. Getting between .75 and .8 inches at 50 out of an 8 inch Ballistic Advantage barrel. Planning on working up another load using the same components for a 16 inch bolt gun. Loaded to approximately 2.068 COAL +|- .002

This was years ago when I first started reloading and became intrested in sub loads. I stumbled across a number of threads and videos of people using different methods of compacting the powder to the primer. One I remember was a guy using trail boss and cotton balls. He claimed that he got more consistent velocity results and that the cotton ball was harmless.

I find a magnum primer gives me more consistent velocities on the lighter sub loads. I’m trying to find something real easy to shoot for my wife out to 50 yards for defending the chickens from various pests. 208 gr AMAX and CFE BLK has been working really nicely so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trr15

WKR
I just loaded up my first batch of 300 blackout subsonic rounds last night. Wish I would've realized this thread was out here first. I went with Berry's 220gr in front of 9.2gr of H110 with CCI small rifle mag primers. Hope to get out soon to do some testing.

JRMiller

WKR
Are guys you using a type of fill between the powder and the bullet for a more consistent burn rate?
Nope.
Never had the need.
Magnum primers help.
Most guys I see using fillers are trying to keep lighter bullets (<180gr) subsonic.
The all around best and easiest way to keep blackout loads subsonic is use the heaviest bullets you can that still function reliably in your rifle