Success during Missouri's squirrel opener

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
Missouri's squirrel season opened this past Saturday and I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Of course, it rained that morning so I didn't get after them in earnest until yesterday. I flung a few arrows at the yard squirrels but couldn't connect. So I broke out my 32 caliber flintlock, Miss Daisy, and headed to the woods. The leaves are super thick and the squirrels super squirrelly so after a couple of misses I decided to break out Ole Betsy, my 12 gauge. Things started to die after that. I killed these three in about 30 minutes. Smoked squirrel nachos are on the menu!

MsRDeSy.jpg

XF7e7hZ.jpg

Darren

JNDEER

WKR
Congrats.

tried our grey squirrel one time. Very dark and gamey tasting meat. Any good recipe you use that takes that away?

OP
dhaverstick

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats.

tried our grey squirrel one time. Very dark and gamey tasting meat. Any good recipe you use that takes that away?
I've been eating them my whole life so I'm probably not the best judge of taking away the "gamey taste" because I've never noticed it. I generally take the young ones, roll them in seasoned flour, and wade them off into a hot skillet of grease. Make gravy from the drippings and serve it up with homemade biscuits and fried taters.

The latest edition of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine has a recipe for smoked squirrel so I'm going to try that with these three.

Darren

Nice work!

I love shooting them with my recurve, but I don't carry FluFlus so it's a chess match trying to get a shot on one on the ground or low enough in tree not to lose my arrow.IMG_1745.jpg