Success from CO

My buddies drew buck tags in CO and were able to fill there tags today. First buck was shot at 350 yards, and was hit a little back. Ran out to 600, and my buddy asked for a favor, and I said sure. 300 mag, 190gr burger, DRT. Hour later I glassed up some more bucks and my other buddy was able to get in close, but his rifle wouldn't fire. Let him use mine. Blew a hole in his hide on the off shoulder the size if a foot ball. Could not find the bullet. Note to everyone with a 300 mag. Don't shoot animales at 130 yards with these loads :).... These were all public land deer too. The hunting gods were very kind to us today. Now just need to fill some elk tags. Bad weather though. Highs in the 60's, and no snow. O well beets work.

Will post pictures when I get back.

OP
fire arrow
Thanks. Would like to find an elk so I can post one. The warm weather and oak brush had not been kind. Tomorrow is always a new day, and lots more miles to go.

Hunt hard everyone. We have the whole year to heal.

OP
fire arrow
Well the hunting gods were kind to me. Was able to take this bull yesterday. Was a good hike to get to him, and was able to finally get him out today. Toes are starting to get some feeling in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 89
OP
fire arrow
Made it home lastnight at 0230, and was going to do the whole story today.

A heavy fog had just lifted out, and it was about 1030 when I saw this guy bedded down with another smaller bull, and a cow that I didn't have the angle on to spot. I ran down to one of my hunting partners and showed him where the bulls where up feeding now. I asked him if he wanted to go with me over to where we could take the shot from. My partner infromed me that because of the oak brush it would take a long time for us to get into postition. My partner has many more hunting season on the hill than I do, and said he didn't want to slow me down and that I should go with out him. So he would stay behind and keep an eye on the elk for me. I just want to say that the meer fact that Mark was even into where we were hunting, and because of the weather conditions is a testiment to his love of hunting, and his will to go further than others to get the job done. So I grabbed my rifle and headed out. I reached a small opening in the oak brush on a side hill, and was ble to glass the two bulls up again. Both were very content, and just feeding along now that the sun had graced us with its presence. That only lasted for 5 minutes, but never changed the elks plan to fill there stomaches. I pulled out the range finder and was not able to get a reading on the elk, but was able to get a reading off of a Pinion Tree. I read 600 yards, up hill, and I put the elk about 20 yards higher than the tree. I had time to take out my Bi-pod, and set up for the shot. I called Mark and let him know I was setting up for the shot, and to really keep eyes on the elk. I was supprised I only had a 6 MPH wind, and it was half value at that. Made my corrections, lined up my shot, and squeezed the trigger. Mark said right away he was hit hard, but to put another one in him. The elk didn't move an inch, and I waisted no time on the follow up shot. From my angle I could not see if the elk was down or if he walked off after the second shot. The shot felt good, and I asked Mark what had happend. The next thing I hear is "down goes Frazier".

Took me an hour to go down, and back up to the bull. About half way through quatering him my other hunting buddies showed up, and were nice anough to help me out with carring some meat. The next night brought several more inches of snow, and we were back up there at first light becasue we still had some tags to fill. Unfortunatley no other bulls were spotted befroe the end of the day, and the season. I just want to point out that this was my first rifle elk hunt, and ever setting foot on the hill during 3rd season. We had warm temps the frist handfull of days, but the temp dropped, and the weather came. I have always been a bow hunter and I am not used to this weather, so my hat is off to everyone that ventures out during and puts boot to snow this time of the year.

Will put some more pictures up when I get a chance.

OP
fire arrow
Going in for round two.

Attachments

• keridigital pict 018.jpg
    keridigital pict 018.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 23
  • keridigital pict 030.jpg
    keridigital pict 030.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 24
  • keridigital pict 025.jpg
    keridigital pict 025.jpg