Success in Colorado!

Unreal_TK

FNG
Just wanted to share my experience in Colorado.

First time hunting in the state, it was an enjoyable experience. First off coming from Oregon to go hunt that far away is similar to coming from the eastern half of the US I would say. My leg up was I’ve hunted mule deer before, in a very different circumstance. Typically still hunting heavy timber, or farm fields.

The hunt was a 3rd season rifle buck tag in western Colorado.

I knew going into the hunt I would see plenty of deer, glass was going to be important. I expected the deer to be a younger age class which they were. Mostly yearlings, we would see a 2.5-3.5 year old buck every day however. The deer I took wasn’t quite what I was after going into the hunt but with weather being an issue on the way home I decided a deer this age would do.

If your looking to go do a hunt there be aware of multiple seasons going on. I was unaware of doe seasons going on so I expected to find doe groups and just check them daily, this didn’t work out because of the doe hunt going on. Deer groups would move daily because of it, always seen new deer every day of the hunt because of it however.

As far as weather goes, the weather happened as expected. Light snows made for great hunting, the weather would warm up and make the roads extremely slick with mud. Be very aware of extreme hills on the way to your camps or hunting areas. I finally had to air down my tires to 15 psi in order to have good traction to get around at times. (I had a air compressor with me), another tool to have would be a rechargeable jump start. I also had to use my winch on my truck a couple of times to get unstuck/pull people out. The wind never stopped in the area we hunted, I wasn’t expecting it to be as constant as it was.

My shelter was a Kifaru 8 man tipi with a Kni-co Trekker wood stove, it’s a 25 lb steel stove. It held up with all the needs that I had. We stayed plenty warm, I took some intial fire wood from home for 3-4 days and scavenged the rest.

The hunters we ran into were some of the nicest people I’ve ever ran into. In my experiences in other places I’ve hunted I had always been met with a very mixed result of being from out of state.

I would for sure go back and do the hunt again, it was a great time. My nephew who had not hunted much yet was the person who went with me and enjoyed it, plans on making his own trip in the future.

Attachments

• 3C6CCD98-41C1-49B9-B2B4-CECCA92FD790.jpeg
    3C6CCD98-41C1-49B9-B2B4-CECCA92FD790.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 694
  • D4A1FB44-BF30-4BEF-9076-7D60E7CDD29F.jpeg
    D4A1FB44-BF30-4BEF-9076-7D60E7CDD29F.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 677
  • 96AB0D6B-8E44-40F0-A98E-ACAA8C3CCF0E.jpeg
    96AB0D6B-8E44-40F0-A98E-ACAA8C3CCF0E.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 97FD4632-611F-4A97-B038-AE5C5DFF8F54.jpeg
    97FD4632-611F-4A97-B038-AE5C5DFF8F54.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 676

WKR
Since our deer herd is declining and we are bringing in wolves, we feel it makes sense to issue a lot of doe tags. Glad you got a buck.

OP
U

Unreal_TK

FNG
Thanks guys, the doe tags I feel like they have their place as a management tool. You guys have an incredible deer population compared to Oregon.

Broomd

WKR
Since our deer herd is declining and we are bringing in wolves, we feel it makes sense to issue a lot of doe tags. Glad you got a buck.
The same thing caught my attention. Unfortunate that these states still want to kill the does.
Great hunt and pics, enjoyed.

Just wanted to share my experience in Colorado.

First time hunting in the state, it was an enjoyable experience. First off coming from Oregon to go hunt that far away is similar to coming from the eastern half of the US I would say. My leg up was I’ve hunted mule deer before, in a very different circumstance. Typically still hunting heavy timber, or farm fields.

The hunt was a 3rd season rifle buck tag in western Colorado.

I knew going into the hunt I would see plenty of deer, glass was going to be important. I expected the deer to be a younger age class which they were. Mostly yearlings, we would see a 2.5-3.5 year old buck every day however. The deer I took wasn’t quite what I was after going into the hunt but with weather being an issue on the way home I decided a deer this age would do.

If your looking to go do a hunt there be aware of multiple seasons going on. I was unaware of doe seasons going on so I expected to find doe groups and just check them daily, this didn’t work out because of the doe hunt going on. Deer groups would move daily because of it, always seen new deer every day of the hunt because of it however.

As far as weather goes, the weather happened as expected. Light snows made for great hunting, the weather would warm up and make the roads extremely slick with mud. Be very aware of extreme hills on the way to your camps or hunting areas. I finally had to air down my tires to 15 psi in order to have good traction to get around at times. (I had a air compressor with me), another tool to have would be a rechargeable jump start. I also had to use my winch on my truck a couple of times to get unstuck/pull people out. The wind never stopped in the area we hunted, I wasn’t expecting it to be as constant as it was.

My shelter was a Kifaru 8 man tipi with a Kni-co Trekker wood stove, it’s a 25 lb steel stove. It held up with all the needs that I had. We stayed plenty warm, I took some intial fire wood from home for 3-4 days and scavenged the rest.

The hunters we ran into were some of the nicest people I’ve ever ran into. In my experiences in other places I’ve hunted I had always been met with a very mixed result of being from out of state.

I would for sure go back and do the hunt again, it was a great time. My nephew who had not hunted much yet was the person who went with me and enjoyed it, plans on making his own trip in the future.

Enjoyed Pics

gwest

FNG
Congratulations on a great trip!!!! Love your tent and stove set up!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk