Successful hunt report - things that worked and things that didn't...

If you're like me, you probably spend more time preparing, analyzing, sorting, planning and downright micro-managing your hunt before you ever leave home. When I was a kid, we all just wore blue jeans or if you were lucky, some surplus BDU's and maybe a wool coat or bomber jacket, ate dinty moore or beans out of a can and slept right on the ground. I sure don't miss those days! Today we have so many choices a guy or gal can easily suffer from analysis paralysis.

Just in case it might help someone, here are the things that worked and the things that didn't from my CO mule deer hunt this year.

Things that worked:

1) CO leftover list - It took me 7 choices but I got a 2nd rifle mule deer buck tag without having to go through the draw. It's the only system I've known, so if and when they change it, I'm probably going to complain a little. It's worked fine for me the last three years though.

2) OnX / Google Earth - These two have save me sooooo many days in the field. I am now able to pick out glassing points from my home, mark them on my phone and then hike directly to them (sometimes even in the dark) and just about every time, I can see exactly what I was expecting to see without ever having set foot there before. For someone who grew up reading paper topo maps, that is nothing short of amazing. Knowing exactly where I stand in relation to private property boundaries is priceless as well.

3) Kodiak Canvas Tent and Buddy Heater - talk about glamping. My plan every year is to have a reliable, warm and comfortable base camp set up and then bring all the spike camp gear I need if the situation warrants it. The past two years I've hunted mid-October and it's dropped into the teens several nights. Running that buddy heater off a 20 lb. propane bottle, set to low, in my 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent is like having a small apartment in the mountains. I get great rest and it is very easy to set up and take down, even by myself. Last year we had 3 different camps in 7 days and it wasn't really a bother at all.

4) Tikka 7mm-08 rifle - just stupid accurate and reliable. Same goes for my Weaver (aluminum) K6 scope. A great combination.

5) Hornady 139-grain SST's - like the Tikka, stupid accurate and reliable. They are just so good on deer, they are affordable and they are often the most accurate bullets I find when working up loads.

6) Sierra Designs Zissou down bag - Great basic warm, light bag. Not too expensive either.

7) Allen backcountry game bags - Love those things. Super affordable, durable, breathable, light and great drawstring/hanging loops.

8) Smartwool - My long sleeve 250 weight orange shirts were awesome, as were the socks. Great purchase.

9) Columbia down vest - Another great purchase. Got it on clearance for $40 and would gladly pay $140 for it now that I've used it. This one was questionable right up until I got out there hunting. Then I realized how warm it was, how durable the outer shell is and how small it rolls up. I will be hunting with this vest for many years I think.

10) Cabelas Outfitter HD 8x42 binoculars - Laugh if you want, but I've owned two pairs now (also a 10x42) and the resolving power, brightness, edge to edge sharpness and ergonomics are great. I've owned dozens upon dozens of binoculars, but these are what go with me at the end of the day.

11) Nikon ED50 spotter - fantastic little scope that weighs practically nothing. I carry it everywhere just because I can. Super sharp too.

12) Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly pack w/ rifle scabbard - My favorite hunting pack when my load is UNDER 40# (read more later).

13) Vasque boots - I have bought and sold several pairs of both new and used hunting and hiking boots over the past three years, but these are still my favorite. They just fit so well and are light and absolutely waterproof.

14) Kings Camo "hunter" pants - love, love, love these pants. I own three pair now and even the oldest pair looks brand new still. LOVE them.

15) Dry Ice - Great solution for the trip home. Not every Wal-Mart or City Market carries it however (the ones in Avon, CO do NOT carry it). But one block kept all my regular ice frozen for two days and then some in my Igloo Sportsman cooler.

16) Old School external meat hauling frame. I really like my inexpensive Alps meat hauler frame. I fitted it with a very old Kelty waist belt that I love and some new Kelty shoulder straps, and that thing really handles a load like a champ.

Things that DON'T work:

1) Overpacking - I have been at this western mountain hunting for 5 years now, and I STILL overpack. Clothes, food, ziplock baggies, flashlights, you name it. I always use less than half of the stuff I bring. Every time. Not sure when I'll ever learn.

2) Thinking nobody will set up camp RIGHT next to me - I have learned that one rule in Colorado must be that the closer you camp to someone else, the better spot you have. LOL I still cannot get over how close other people will set up to my camp. Three years in a row now I've camped at the end of a two track road days ahead of the season only to have groups of guys with RV's or wall tents set up literally within 100 yards of me. I have no idea what they are thinking but I've come to expect this now. I'm a camp magnet. Ugh.

3) Cell phone batteries when it's 13 degrees - I'm still not sure what guys are doing to keep their phones alive in the backcountry. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.

4) Cheap knives - I am done with them. Can't even get through quartering half a deer without having to resharpen. Next year I'm taking a quality knife.

5) Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly pack w/ rifle scabbard - great day pack (see above) but something terrible happens when you load it with more than 40# in it. The difference below and above about 40# is night and day. I will be looking for another overnight option for when I want to pack my camp in for overnights in the backcountry.

6) spike camp - still too heavy! I have to get my spike camp gear down at least 10# by next year. During one of my scouting days, I carried my spike camp with me just as a proof of concept - for a 5-mile loop. It sucked. (see backpack above). Gotta get lighter.

Things that were just so-so:

1) Tripod and ball head - I'm right on the fence whether to upgrade or ride it out. I have two $25 Amazon tripods with ball heads and universal Arca plates. they were cheap and work "okay" but a smoother panning head for glassing sure would be nice.

2) Hydration bladder - works great when the temperature isn't 13 degrees. Unusable if you sit for 30 minutes in that temp though.

3) Igloo Sportsman 55 qt. cooler - Very durable and works pretty well. Wish it kept ice a little longer but for $120 at the outlet store, I can't complain at all. Perfect size for a quartered mule deer buck or two itty bitty Texas whitetails, quartered, with ice.

So that's my list off the top of my head. Hope it helps someone.IMG_3618.JPG

Last edited:
Stick your cell phone inside your sleeping bag or wrap it inside your down/synthetic soft shell jacket. It has worked for me flawlessly for several years.

Poser

WKR
I always keep my cell phone next to my body in a pocket when it’s cold. In my quilt, I stick it in a chest pocket and doesn’t seem to effect my sleep even though I do sleep on my stomach a lot. I take my Spot X and battery charger, drop them each in a pair of socks for a little extra insulation and put them in the bottom of my quilt.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up. I do have to say though, guys setting up 100 yards away seems pretty respectable. If you are at the end of a road, you should expect others to want to camp there too.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Great write up. I do have to say though, guys setting up 100 yards away seems pretty respectable. If you are at the end of a road, you should expect others to want to camp there too.
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. There are literally tens of thousands of acres for them to camp on, but they come rolling in after dark the night before the opener and set up less than 100 yards from my tent. More like 70 yards. That's either brain dead, rude or just trying to bully someone out of a spot. It's happened 2 years in a row now. First time was a huge 5th wheel that rolled out a cooler full of beer, barking dog and they stayed up laughing and drinking until I finally told them to shut the He** up at 11:00 p.m. Like I said, it's very much something I'm not used to and need to plan better for it in the future. I shouldn't have to put my earplugs in to get to sleep after driving 18 hours with the last hour being on dirt roads 30 miles from town. Fool me twice. ;) Next year, there won't be any way someone can set up within 1/4 mile of me.

SWOHTR

WKR
Just block the road with your vehicle and you’ll be good, esp if you’re in Utah!

Kidding aside, I know your sentiments. Probably the same kind of people that will drive (loiter) in your blind spot and think nothing of it. Pass or get behind me, just don’t drive right there you moron.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. There are literally tens of thousands of acres for them to camp on, but they come rolling in after dark the night before the opener and set up less than 100 yards from my tent. More like 70 yards. That's either brain dead, rude or just trying to bully someone out of a spot. It's happened 2 years in a row now. First time was a huge 5th wheel that rolled out a cooler full of beer, barking dog and they stayed up laughing and drinking until I finally told them to shut the He** up at 11:00 p.m. Like I said, it's very much something I'm not used to and need to plan better for it in the future. I shouldn't have to put my earplugs in to get to sleep after driving 18 hours with the last hour being on dirt roads 30 miles from town. Fool me twice. ;) Next year, there won't be any way someone can set up within 1/4 mile of me.

If you can drive fifth wheels up there, then my experience says you should expect campers even closer than 70 yards. Every area is different, but it sounds like you're on a relatively easily traveled road. Other people are going to camp there. To expect otherwise is nieve. Sounds like you figured it out if you can find a spot where people cannot get within 1/4 of you.

GL and again nice write-up.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
If you can drive fifth wheels up there, then my experience says you should expect campers even closer than 70 yards. Every area is different, but it sounds like you're on a relatively easily traveled road. Other people are going to camp there. To expect otherwise is nieve. Sounds like you figured it out if you can find a spot where people cannot get within 1/4 of you.

GL and again nice write-up.
That's just it - I couldn't believe the spots some of these guys were dragging their (obviously very expensive) 5th wheels. I mean rock crawling in spots!

Look, it's not their problem - it's mine. I have to adjust my thinking and plan ahead. They clearly have no issues being camped that close to someone else. LOL

Live and learn. Call me naive if you want. Maybe I am. I am just having to get used to a new normal is all. Just like when I started hunting the mountains of western CO and was literally gobsmacked at how many people there were out there in what I thought was pretty darn remote country.

Funny story - the most peaceful place I've found to set up base camp to date was 50 yards from a very busy paved highway on a little knob in the NF. There was no place else for anyone to set up near me for over a mile. Sure the traffic noise was there, but it quieted down a lot after sunset. And I can sleep through the occasional car driving by on the highway. I just can't sleep through people talking in their "outside voice" at all hours of the night. LOL

I'm going to spend this coming year working on my backcountry camp gear and getting the weight down so I can just hike in and set up for a few days. That is what I really want anyway. Peace and quiet. :D

JG358

WKR
Cant count on piece and quit in the back country any more.... going deep is cool now, everyone and their brother does it.

Like was mentioned, keep your phone in an inside coat pocket and in your bag at night.

Blow out your hydration hose after you take a drink, it will cut down on freezing.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a trip in a couple weeks and plan to use a 10x12 tent and a buddy heater. How many nights did you stay and how much propane did you roughly use if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
Planning a trip in a couple weeks and plan to use a 10x12 tent and a buddy heater. How many nights did you stay and how much propane did you roughly use if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't mind at all.

This was a quick trip since I tagged out opening morning. I ran the buddy heater on low for about 7 hrs./night for 3 nights and for about 2 hours (1 hr. morning and 1 hr. evening) for 2 nights. So you could say 4 nights more or less. Bottle was plenty heavy when I brought it home. I doubt I used 1/4 of it.

Last year, we ran the buddy heater for about 3 hrs/day and one night all night on low, for 10 days and the bottle came home 1/3 full. I have yet to burn through a full bottle in a single hunt.

I can easily imagine the opposing viewpoint.

"We've been camping here for 15+ yrs and this newbie non-resident expects us to go somewhere else?!"

OP
Newtosavage
I can easily imagine the opposing viewpoint.

"We've been camping here for 15+ yrs and this newbie non-resident expects us to go somewhere else?!"
I'm sure you're right about that. But where I grew up, it was first come, first served. So, it should be a lot easier for a resident to get set up long before us "non-residents" ever get there. Don't blame me for getting there 5 days before the opener so I can properly scout. LOL

Two years ago, I did have the exact thing you mention happen. I found an outstanding camping spot (couldn't believe it wasn't taken when I found it) and literally the day before the season started, two guys from Denver rolled up and lectured me about how they have been camped there every year for the past 7 so they could hunt the valley above that site. I was like "so why weren't you camped here this year?" and they replied that they couldn't get off work the previous weekend to set up their camps as they usually do (I saw plenty of empty tents and trailers the week before season where locals just left their gear in order to claim a spot). I told them I wasn't to blame for them not being able to set up as usual, and I took days off just for the purpose of scouting and getting a good campsite.

Didn't matter. They rolled right through my camp opening morning, parked their truck next to mine, got out and started walking up the drainage. That's world class A-holery where I'm from. They're lucky they had tires when they got back to their truck.

Last edited:

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
On your knife, we used a havalon on two and a benchmade altitude on one (all elk) the benchmade will still shave hair they both worked well just depends on what you want if you decide you want to go the altitude route PM me and I can tell you were to get the best price.

OP
Newtosavage
On your knife, we used a havalon on two and a benchmade altitude on one (all elk) the benchmade will still shave hair they both worked well just depends on what you want if you decide you want to go the altitude route PM me and I can tell you were to get the best price.
Thanks! I will take a look. I've heard great things about both - Havalon and Benchmade. I've used the same lightweight folding Gerber for years, but forgot it on this trip and was stuck with a MIC Browning that I'll never use for anything serious again.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few years back I woke up to headlights showing through my tent and got up to see what the heck was going on. I was camped in a spot I'd camped several times before, and it's a one camp setup spot. You need room to turn your vehicles around after pulling in there. So I get out and this guy gets out of his truck and says "hey, I wondering if we could set up camp here with you". I was flabbergasted. NEVER had I ever experienced such a request, especially when there were several other places to camp nearby. He goes on to say "Ya, I'm down in the pay camp sites and wanted to get out of there to save some money". I told him "NO", then he asked if the guy up the road would mind if he set up with him. I was even more flabbergasted with that request after I told him no. I said "where are you from"? He replies "Pennsylvania". I told him he'd probably get shot if he tried to take over someone's camp. And he said they do it all the time back home. SMH.

Ya, I'm one of those guys that likes a good buffer zone. I'll move if I have to, to get that. I'm more picky about my camping spots than my hunting spots.