Sucessful first elk hunt

VegasMike

FNG
Was able to get an arrow in a yearling on the final morning of my hunt after not seeing a single elk for 4 days. I had done a bunch of scouting in July and knew they were around but couldn't find them in any of the spots I saw them while scouting. I still saw nothing the last morning and decided to walk some north facing slopes on the way out just to see if I could bump something still in disbelief I hadn't even seen an elk (lots of fresh sign though)

It was the third or fourth slope I checked and I finally bumped the herd. I was able to haul ass around the ridge to get my wind right and get right in tight on em. All I had to do was wait for them to feed down to me but the moment got to be too much and I forced a bad shot and hit an Aspen tree. The herd the dropped into a canyon and I followed.

Started hearing cow chirps which helped me locate them again. I got right back into the herd and at that point a rag horn (which I had no clue was there) starts bulging 100 yards up from the cows and gets out of his bed to start raking. I was so in aw of what I was watching I almost forgot what I was there for. The herd began to move up the ridge towards the bull and I was able to put a 55 yard shot I to a yearling.

There were a bunch of spikes in the herd and I definitely wanted one of them but after breaking down and packing out the yearling solo anything larger would have spelled trouble for me solo 4 miles in. Definitely addicted to changing elk now.

Attachments

• 20200827_113523.jpg
    20200827_113523.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 719

11boo

WKR
Well done. I kicked myself in my butt all winter for turning down yearlings last year. I saw so many elk on that hunt I was sure I would get a mature cow.

Clarence

WKR
Great work man! Anyone who hasn't done, has no idea what you accomplished your first crack at it. Way to see it thru and hunt til the end. Enjoy that good meat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk