Sucessful Washington Elk hunters...

Ifunk

FNG
Congrats. How many points did you have? I haven't, but have only accrued 4.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve killed a bunch now with rifles in November on the west side. It’s about persistence and being outside from dark to dark no matter how bored or wet you are and glassing ALL day long. We have a wall tent set up and hunt every day of the season and sip whiskey by the wood stove at night. It’s the best time of the year!!

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Well I goosed out on elk this season. Called in a spike to 20yds but he was hard quartering to and I had my recurve. Smelled my ground scent and was gone! And then of course a few days after the early season ended I had a cow sniffing my climbing sticks… learned a lot but didn’t get it done. Maybe next year!
Just curious what call did you use to call a spike in?

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I meant, cow call or calf, bugle? what brought him in?
Oh my bad! It was my gawd awful cow calling. Way too squawky and too often in hindsight. But hey I’ll shoot any legal elk at this point!

landis07

FNG
I live for October through December muzzy elk and deer !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get out in the woods this time of year, while the elk are hanging out in clearcuts all day. Then you can see what’s around. I’m in SW WA and usually hunt muzzleloader, since you get the tail end of the rut and less guys in the woods (most years). Hunting the wet side isn’t as hard as people think. If you’re in elk country, find isolated clearcuts with a decent creek in the bottom, if the creek has a big wide grassy bottom, even better. And make sure there’s a stand of good timber (preferably) nearby or big patches of grown up reprod without any heavily traveled roads through it. These are places you want to e-scout for, then get boots on the ground and figure out the elk you find and hunt em like you would any other elk. They absolutely are vocal, their bugles just don’t travel in our jungles like they do in open country. If you hear them, you’re usually within 200yds. Good luck
👍 Fully agree. I would add , however, that timberland closures are a problem in recent years

That is going to be a tough question to get an honest answer on a public forum .
Very true and honest answer. I would also say knowing an area is an irreplaceable asset. Hunting is year round passive activity(scouting, hiking) with 5% yang. Search, search, search. Almost all units in SW are decent if you know it well. Not a ton of big bulls though.

the unstoppable TRIBAL poaching is a huge impact on eastern WA elk, Colockum & Yakima herds are heavily pressured.

Just look at eastern WA Craigslist for all the tribal sellers of fresh/frozen elk, deer meat or jerky-sausage products too.
They shot about 15 at the feeding station near Cle Elum in a day last year I was told by family that live there. That's rough