Suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunting Bullet

TX_Diver

WKR
Main targets would be deer/antelope but it's possible it'd see an elk hunt, especially as my kids get older. For now I'm more likely to grab the 30-06 for an elk though. I have semi-easy access to shoot ~700 yards too so a half decent bullet for shooting "long range" steel would be great.

Rifle is a 24" 1:8 twist barrel (t3x superlite). Likely put the bullet over IMR or H4350 but have some IMR4064, IMR4895, and Varget as options too.

The Hornady ELD-M, Lapua Scenars, and Sierra TMKs seem to get a lot of love on here but I'm somewhat hesitant to use a match bullet.

Bullets I was considering are:
140gr nosler accubond (expensive!!)
142gr Nosler Accubond LR (also expensive)
147gr Hornady ELD-M
140gr Sierra Tipped Gameking
140gr Hornady ELD-M
143gr Hornady ELD-X
130gr Sierra TMK
140gr Berger Elite Hunter
135gr Berger Classic Hunter
139gr Lapua Scenar

I'm definitely open to other suggestions too. Trying to pick a bullet so I can figure out which powder I need to keep and start trading away some of my .308 stuff.

To me, the 143eld-x seems to have phenomenal performance. I'm sure there are examples where it hasn't performed as there always are. But, I have yet to have an issue with that bullet. It flies well, shoots great in both 6.5's I own.

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Of those on your list, my preference is the Accubond and have used them to great effect in 6.5’s and others. The eldx is a good option as well. I'm moving to copper and will be trying hammer bullets now.

rideold

WKR
I'm currently loading a Barnes TTSX in 120g with Accurate 2700 powder. I don't intend to hunt Elk with that load. Like you, I use a 30-06 for that. Seems to be working pretty well but I'm no long range marksman so your mileage may vary. When the Barnes are used up I will switch to Hammer.

stevevan

WKR
I'm currently loading a Barnes TTSX in 120g with Accurate 2700 powder. I don't intend to hunt Elk with that load. Like you, I use a 30-06 for that. Seems to be working pretty well but I'm no long range marksman so your mileage may vary. When the Barnes are used up I will switch to Hammer.
I've tried most of the popular 6.5 bullets for the Creed. Settled on the Sierra Game Changer 130 for Medium game. Have had excellent results. It has the expansion + penetration I was looking for in the Creedmoor, also load it in the 6.5x55. When hunting anything bigger such as elk my 7mm Rem Mag goes.

twall13

WKR
My experience is going to be pretty limited compared to others on here but I've shot the 143 ELD-X's in mine mostly because they shoot so well out of my gun. Having said that, I've used that bullet for one mule deer (1 shot kill) and an Africa trip two years ago. It killed a Blue Wildebeast, Impala, Ostrich, Zebra, Warthog, Lechwe and Blesbok without issue. Most of those were 1 shot kills, except the Ostrich and Warthog, but that was my poor shot placement requiring a follow up. I honestly still don't know where to properly aim at on ostrich, haha. I recovered what was left of the bullet in the offside hide of the Wildebeast and Impala, the others were all passthroughs. I'm not gonna say it's the best bullet out there but the fact that the Wildebeast was a one shot kill (those suckers have some thick hide) gives me enough confidence that it could be used comfortably on an elk. Again, not my first choice in caliber for that animal, but it would certainly get the job done and that's probably the bullet I'd use just because I'm comfortable with it. Here is a photo of the recovered bullets for reference.
a53d9b4a2499c4aa0433878ab16f9d71.jpg

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
My experience is going to be pretty limited compared to others on here but I've shot the 143 ELD-X's in mine mostly because they shoot so well out of my gun. Having said that, I've used that bullet for one mule deer (1 shot kill) and an Africa trip two years ago. It killed a Blue Wildebeast, Impala, Ostrich, Zebra, Warthog, Lechwe and Blesbok without issue. Most of those were 1 shot kills, except the Ostrich and Warthog, but that was my poor shot placement requiring a follow up. I honestly still don't know where to properly aim at on ostrich, haha. I recovered what was left of the bullet in the offside hide of the Wildebeast and Impala, the others were all passthroughs. I'm not gonna say it's the best bullet out there but the fact that the Wildebeast was a one shot kill (those suckers have some thick hide) gives me enough confidence that it could be used comfortably on an elk. Again, not my first choice in caliber for that animal, but it would certainly get the job done and that's probably the bullet I'd use just because I'm comfortable with it. Here is a photo of the recovered bullets for reference.
a53d9b4a2499c4aa0433878ab16f9d71.jpg
Nice!! Would love to see a pic of that ostrich!

Thanks for the input.

twall13

WKR
They are pretty wild. Crazy good eyesight and walking up on it after the kill it's crazy how big they are. Their feet look prehistoric. I added a bonus photo of my wife's purse made from the skin.
77826f0af2f530de726f60d173e2eed0.jpg
e91fa0063e92f561edc8ab72a7cec23a.jpg
4762361398eb77b12fb0c09234e0a3e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
They are pretty wild. Crazy good eyesight and walking up on it after the kill it's crazy how big they are. Their feet look prehistoric. I added a bonus photo of my wife's purse made from the skin.

That is awesome!!

This thread makes a pretty compelling argument for the ELD-M bullets... Would need to decide 140 of 147gr... It also makes it sound like they get messy on the close shots w/ meat damage and I'm not a LR hunter by any means...

Still a little torn between that or the ELD-X or Berger classic or Elite Hunter. For the price I don't think the nosler's are where I want to go.

Would be curious to @Formidilosus opinion as I think he'd posted recently about the ELD-Ms also but I can't find it now? Also this rifle will likely wear a SWFA 3-15 until I find a good deal on the 3-9. Loving the .223 w/ SWFA 6x!

Last edited:
Of those on your list, my preference is the Accubond and have used them to great effect in 6.5’s and others. The eldx is a good option as well. I'm moving to copper and will be trying hammer bullets now.
Please post when you do how the results are

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
OZaDnHU.png

I've had excellent luck with the 143 gr. ELDX and 130 Gr. Nosler Accubonds on game.
143 ELD-X in the 6.5 PRC
142 Gr. LR Accubonds in the 26 Nosler.

Ya!

GWB

My Tikka 6.5 Credmoor loves the 140 grain Sierra Tipped Gamekings and the 140 grain Hornady ELD-M. Hoping to shoot a whitetail with each bullet this year to compare.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
See which bullets you can actually find, might narrow down your list.

I'm seeing the Hornady's in stock currently. Yesterday saw bergers briefly but hadn't ordered the rifle yet. Definitely worth considering though!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would be curious to @Formidilosus opinion as I think he'd posted recently about the ELD-Ms also but I can't find it now? Also this rifle will likely wear a SWFA 3-15 until I find a good deal on the 3-9. Loving the .223 w/ SWFA 6x!

The 143gr ELD-X is probably the easiest, if not best all around bullet for the mid 6.5’s. It’s going to cause a bit of a mess if you hit major bone up close, however it expands/upsets very well at distance. The ELD-M’s are similar. Accubonds would be decent especially if close shot are more the norm. Bergers are good too. One of the nice things about the 6.5 CM is that it doesn’t over stress any bullet, and therefore cup and core projectiles are wilthin good operating velocity for a long time.

That's amazing, thanks for posting!

If I may ask, where did you get that purse made?

My test size of 1 would recommend the 127LRX. It makes the smaller caliber have better penetration. Some thought should be given to different shot placement and there can be many arguments about it. It went from entering in the lower jaw head on and exiting out the back on a 3 pt mule deer buck at 250yds. Really all I could ask for at that point. Good accuracy and the factory ammo is pretty good if not handloading

I used accubonds on Antelope. They do NOT open up. They drill right through with a pencil hole. I will not be trying that again. Accubonds are for Elk & Moose, and they work well on bigger game.