Suggest me a nice wood stock rifle

TomJoad

WKR
I own a kimber classic in 308 I enjoy it for a bolt gun but my favorite wood stocked rifle is a single shot Blaser K95. This is the 30-06 barrel but I also have a 6.5x55. Super fun to shoot, accurate, break down in 5 sec with no tools to a 20” package. This is my CO elk rifle this year for R1

FD09B600-622E-4693-9B12-65286F974EFC.jpegB0FF8421-9BCC-4EE7-A560-E0A81A2AAAC5.jpeg

TN VOL

FNG
Winchester M70 Supergrade, Sako 85 Classic deluxe or premium, or Sauer 404 Elegance.

I recently got an old , pre 1968 Springfield/ Savage .22 and it resurrected my desire to shoot a classic wood stock gun. I have an old Remington woodsmaster 742 in .30 06 that i hope to take out on the doe third rifle season. i will be carrying the new Ruger American plastic .06 for the elk hunt, that rifle will shoot better longer distance with handloads. But i didn't work up the load for the old rifle so i wont use that in it... Just think it will be fun to carry the old classic for the doe hunt if i don't get an elk and running out of time. Shot bunches of whitetails and hogs and a few muleys with it before getting a newer more reliable shooter.
some gorgeous new wooden stocked guns on here!

Unclecroc

FNG
EDF58D80-9ABA-4352-A51D-F9BDD11A2F3E.jpeg
Cooper is first on my list for nice wood. 5CC44DEF-8ED5-423A-BD23-AB171041D5BC.jpeg
I also like Winchester model 70s. Weatherby mark Vs usually sport very nice wood as well.

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say cooper or sako or full blown custom and get exactly what you want you could also build a semi custom with an action that you like

How about a rifle built on a QUALITY well done 98 Mauser action w/ jewelled bolt/follower and oh so slick on a QUALITY and very nice but not super fancy AA stick of wood on QUALITY rust blue metalwork done by a QUALITY real pro in 338-06. I dont know who built it but its of superior quality and workmanship. Not a lightweight, but oh so gorgeous and fine-fitted. Oh, and another 338-06 built by Mark Bansner himself..he only built a few wood stocked rifles per year and he is a true master of the art......fleur-de-lis checkering like you never ever seen before and absolutely perfectly executed on a AA grade stock and Winchester CRF action and black cerakote finished metalwork. He guaranteed all of his rifles to be 1/2" accuracy but ive not shot this one in the many years i owned it.....by my other Bansner in 35 Whelen certainly is. Using these on a nice dry, crisp hunting day is a wonderful idea.....i'm going to have to try it. BTW, I second the model 70 Featherweights and Lightweights for attractive rifles. Cooper makes some dandies as well.

Last edited:

Gaggi

FNG
I don't trust store-bought wooden handles and that's why I learned how to make wooden handles for rifles myself, since my dad has a good workshop for working on wood. This workshop is well equipped and allows ideas to develop. To be honest, I would advise you to order a handmade rifle, because the quality of purchased rifles is not worth the money, or they are very overrated. Unfortunately, I do not make weapons to order, but only for myself and close friends. I can only advise you of the good masters I know. If you are interested, then write and I will contact you. Good luck in your search, buddy!

Wapiti1

WKR
Factory, Sako, Sauer, Heym and Blaser.

Custom, there a lot of good names. MNR Custom in Vermont does top work. As do guys like Duane Wiebe, James Anderson, Lon Paul, Reto Beuhler, Dennis Earhardt, Jim Kobe, and others who I am forgetting right this moment.

Jeremy

EdP

WKR
I love the look of the Win Supergrade in Maple. Coopers are hard to beat also but if price is really no option you can spend quite a bit on a Blaser and have an outstanding rifle.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Another vote for a Winchester 70 Super Grade. My 325 wsm started life as one, then pulled that beautiful wood and installed a laminated stock. Way to pretty to hunt with.