Suggestions- best back country pack out bag

Jtapia12

FNG
Hey guys, looking for suggestions. Going out back country, solo bow hunt for elk. What is the best pack out bag?

Webb11

FNG
Mystery Ranch has some good, quality packs. I would look into one of them...

I'd suggest looking at (in no particular order): Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Hill People Gear. The best pack is the one that fits you best. Trying them on and comparing is the only real way to assess pack fit.

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
I'd suggest looking at (in no particular order): Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Hill People Gear. The best pack is the one that fits you best. Trying them on and comparing is the only real way to assess pack fit.
Thanks Mighty Mouse this helps out a lot

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Best bag for pack out??? One that fits you and you’ve tried out. Sorry for the generic answer. I’ve been using a Barney’s frame/pack and it’s pretty rad.

OP
Jtapia12

Jtapia12

FNG
Best bag for pack out??? One that fits you and you’ve tried out. Sorry for the generic answer. I’ve been using a Barney’s frame/pack and it’s pretty rad.
Cool I'll check them out now thank you

The best pack out bag for me, is the same bag I pack in with. This thing is so versatile, it day hunts, it backcountry hunts, it packs camp in, it packs camp out, and more importantly it hauls meat like no other. Love this thing!

Attachments

• 3FF3057A-B09E-4A75-8A11-9A9DEE0BFD7C.jpeg
    3FF3057A-B09E-4A75-8A11-9A9DEE0BFD7C.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 58
  • B7FF428D-1A3C-4AEC-8B0C-7E1779F28CE7.jpeg
    B7FF428D-1A3C-4AEC-8B0C-7E1779F28CE7.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 58

FlatlanderMN

FNG
Classified Approved
I have the Exo Mountain K3 frame. I like it a lot. My friend has a Kifaru, switched from a Kuiu, someone else I hunt with has a Mystery Ranch. It’s already been said but it’s the best advice. Go with the one that fits you the best.

Jo83ben

FNG
I have a mystery ranch metcalf and got a pintler bag only for it. Superb combo. Pintler is perfect size for most day hunts and could be stretched for a packed light day or two trip. Metcalf is fine by itself but could be used very well for a multi day backcountry hunt.

Everyone says how nicely MR packs carry weight, and I got to put mine to the test last night for the first time packing out my buddy’s spike. Took us three trips each packing out of a deep and steep canyon but the pack carried superbly well (and as comfortable as carrying 80+lbs could be).

Definitely happy with my pack and hope to pack out more meat in the near future!

My buddy has an exo and loves it as well, and he said it carried very well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, looking for suggestions. Going out back country, solo bow hunt for elk. What is the best pack out bag?
how many days at a time? how much day hunting?

"best" is impossible to answer, because what fits me best may not fit you best. it's really hard to go wrong with kifaru, EXO, and stone glacier... worst case the pack you buy doesn't fit great, with one of those 3 packs, you'll get most of your money back.... the rest you'll get beat up on resale if it doesn't work for you.

Seek Outside is another good option, and i think they have the most adjustable frame... if i went that route again, i would buy one of their big integrated packs (not the break away)... i had their peregrine, which i liked the bag layout, all of their stuff is really lightweight, so just get a bag bigger than you think you'll need, you get very little weight penalty, it compresses down small, and then when the time comes, pack meat in the pack bag rather than a meat shelf... that xpac material cleans super easy.

the few months i had my SO i packed out 3 bucks and 2 bulls with it, the 2 bulls i used the meat shelf, and the deer i put in the bag, and i liked how quick and easy it was load meat in the bag.... i didn't love their meat shelf design.

lots of great options these days. i currently use an exo and a kifaru, both kick ass, very different, but i wouldn't want to have to pick a favorite.

stone glacier is the one i have not tried and probably won't, i'm pretty sure they still only offer 26" frames, which takes them out of the lineup for me.... great for hauling a lot of weight, but i live and hunt on the coast, and a 24" frame is bad enough in the brush getting hung up in everything.... especially elk hunting.... for most hunting though, it's a non issue, and SG is highly regarded by about anyone who's used them, they have a few frame options so finding one that fits well shouldn't be a problem

if you are on a budget, and can't justify the cost of one of the above (seek outside are actually priced really well out of the above mentioned too) wait for a sale on mystery ranch, they seem to have sales pretty frequently, or get a horn hunter full curl.... they are heavy and clunky, not super comfortable in hunt mode, but they will get the job done, and carry a really heavy load well (about as good as any really) the full curl is a great pack for the price, they have a great warranty, but they aren't a kifaru or exo, but they won't hinder you either. i think my 3 heaviest pack outs were with a full curl, if i just had to do a long heavy packout, i would personally pick a full curl over mystery ranch..... for all around hunting an packing, i would pick a mystery ranch, because they are a more refined pack, better components, and still haul weight pretty well.

get a bigger bag than you think you'll need.... going as small as you think you can is a mistake with packs. an exo, get a 4800 at least if you ever plan on doing over 4 days, kifaru, the 44 mag or reckoning would be good if you are keeping your trips under 5 days... seek outside, an integrated Lanner would be a good option.

people (including myself) have had the habit of buying the smallest bag we think we can get away with, but it's not the best approach

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have tons of experience, but my research led me to Mystery Ranch Metcalf or EXO 4800. I went with the Metcalf since it was on sale for $370 shipped on Camofire/Blackovis.