Suggestions for 12 year old shooting 50 cal 100 grains?

Yaada_205

FNG
Hey guys,

I guess I could always test this, but wanted to hear your thoughts, experiences, suggestions.

My son has a late Nov cow elk hunt, muzzleloader. I've been having him shoot each weekend, 50cal sabot, 290 grain, 100grains BH.

He can handle 3 shots each day, the shoulder is toughing up, and flinching less with lots of dry fire practice.

But Ive been thinking maybe to go with 250 grain, and 90 grain BH.

I've seen some other posts that highly recommend the 290 grain for elk.

What do you guys think? Keep at it with the 290 / 100gr BH or would down sizing to 250 90gr BH help with the kick?

Thanks!

Man as an adult that is super recoil sensitive, I wouldn't view it as a toughen up deal.
I really have to concentrate to shoot well.

What id do is reduce the load way down but leave the sights alone and have him practice.
Then on hunt day load the 100 grns.

Or unless that muzzleloader has a big learning curve id have him practice marksmanship with a 22, 223 etc etc.
If he gets the feel on how to point a long gun, get on target and press a trigger it won't really matter what you put in his hand on hunt day.

Develop a shooter and he will always be one.

OXN939

WKR
Hey guys,

I guess I could always test this, but wanted to hear your thoughts, experiences, suggestions.

My son has a late Nov cow elk hunt, muzzleloader. I've been having him shoot each weekend, 50cal sabot, 290 grain, 100grains BH.

He can handle 3 shots each day, the shoulder is toughing up, and flinching less with lots of dry fire practice.

But Ive been thinking maybe to go with 250 grain, and 90 grain BH.

I've seen some other posts that highly recommend the 290 grain for elk.

What do you guys think? Keep at it with the 290 / 100gr BH or would down sizing to 250 90gr BH help with the kick?

Thanks!

This is what a 250 grain T-EZ over 82.5 grains by volume of BH 209 looks like into a water jug at 100 yards. Plenty of horsepower for elk. I also second that it's better to get new shooters, especially kids, comfortable with easy shooting loads. It's a proven fact that firearms with less recoil are easier to shoot accurately for full grown adults, much less kids. I'd go under 90 grains personally.

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_170200.jpg
    IMG_20200613_170200.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 10

crich

WKR
Yeah I agree with lightening the load to work on fundamentals and to get some good reps in. If he can work up to full loads without a flich awesome! If not then a full load on the hunt he will never notice once he pulls the trigger on an elk.

Id stick with practicing with the same gun otherwise when he switches back he might associate the mz loader with kicking hard and flinch again.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I used the same load for my wife for her bull elk hunt this year. 290 grain T-EZ with 100 grains BH209. She shoots well and we shoot often but she always practices with a .223. I had her shoot 3 shots through the muzzleloader the weekend before her hunt just so she was comfortable and confident in how it would shoot and to make sure the eye relief was good for her. I knew that shooting it to much would cause her to start flinching. I would keep doing some dry firing drills just to keep him comfortable with getting on target with that gun and scope.

I have a 12 yr old also and I always have him practice with .17hmr or .223 and only shoot his 7mm-08 a handful of times before he hunts just so he knows it’s hitting where it’s supposed to so he’s confident in his rifle when he pulls the trigger. I think the worst thing you can do is create a flinching habit in a kid by shooting a gun with to much recoil.

ENCORE

WKR
First............. with the 3 shots daily that he's taking, what exactly are his groups like?

If his groups are great, then don't change a single thing. He's growing and it won't be long and he'll be shooting maximum charges.

Laramie

WKR
I use lower charges during practice with my son. I do this during practice for turkey. I'll use trap loads in his youth 20 gauge during practice and then we use the 3" magnum turkey loads while hunting. He has never noticed. For muzzleloader, I sight in at 100 yards with a very light load for practice. I work on his fundamentals and ensure he is accurate. When the calendar rolls around to his week to hunt, I go re-sight in the gun with heavier loads more suitable for harvesting big game. Again, he has never noticed when shooting at a deer. He is now 12 so I'm able to lessen the difference between the practice and hunting loads a little more each year.

Develop those fundamentals and be cautious not to put too much recoil on during practice sessions. Once a person develops a flinch, it is very challenging to correct.

OP
Yaada_205

Yaada_205

FNG
This is what a 250 grain T-EZ over 82.5 grains by volume of BH 209 looks like into a water jug at 100 yards. Plenty of horsepower for elk. I also second that it's better to get new shooters, especially kids, comfortable with easy shooting loads. It's a proven fact that firearms with less recoil are easier to shoot accurately for full grown adults, much less kids. I'd go under 90 grains personally.
Wow very good to know, and love that pic! Thanks!

OP
Yaada_205

Yaada_205

FNG
First............. with the 3 shots daily that he's taking, what exactly are his groups like?

If his groups are great, then don't change a single thing. He's growing and it won't be long and he'll be shooting maximum charges.
It is pretty wide but consistent, however, he's noticeably improving. Just this past weekend, with the 50 cal MZ his 3rd shot was right where I want him to be - at 100 yards 2MOA high and on center.

OP
Yaada_205

Yaada_205

FNG
I used the same load for my wife for her bull elk hunt this year. 290 grain T-EZ with 100 grains BH209. She shoots well and we shoot often but she always practices with a .223. I had her shoot 3 shots through the muzzleloader the weekend before her hunt just so she was comfortable and confident in how it would shoot and to make sure the eye relief was good for her. I knew that shooting it to much would cause her to start flinching. I would keep doing some dry firing drills just to keep him comfortable with getting on target with that gun and scope.

I have a 12 yr old also and I always have him practice with .17hmr or .223 and only shoot his 7mm-08 a handful of times before he hunts just so he knows it’s hitting where it’s supposed to so he’s confident in his rifle when he pulls the trigger. I think the worst thing you can do is create a flinching habit in a kid by shooting a gun with to much recoil.
Yea! He's shooting is great with the lower calibers.... great consistent groups... hits water bottles at 100 yards with his .222 (yes triple deuce)and also shoots .22LR, 22-250, and 6.5 CM. The skill set with those calibers plus the dry fire practice in between each of the 3 shots with the 50 MZ loader has been helping. But then again, I think I should still just lower the load and use a lighter sabot, to alleviate the flinching. Its really neat that he actually is aware if he flinches or not because of the dry fire practice he does.

crich

WKR
I love loading magazines for friends at the range and slipping in dummy rounds. You know 100% if there is a flinch that way. Maybe have him turn around while you "load" the gun and occasionally leave it empty. He might make even more of a conscious effort to squeeze the trigger training that way.

I use a 250 gr bullet and 100 grains of powder. The kick isn’t too bad at all, but I’m not 12 either. I tried loading mine down to 90 grains, but it wouldn’t shoot worth a crap accuracy-wise. If you go to a lighter powder charge, I’d say make sure it’s going to shoot well first.

My cousin is shooting 93 grains of black horn 209 with a 300 grain sst and he is 11. But we have a really soft recoil pad on it and he shoots it a very accurate 5 shot groups very time we practice. Try to get one of the better recoil pads on the gun and try that.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Limb saver recoil pad helps a lot too, if you don't already have one on the rifle.

nphunter

WKR
I’d probably go a lighter bullet and charge for my kids. I shot my buck this fall with a 240gr PA conical with 90gr of 777 at 100 yards and passed through both shoulders and he didn’t get out of his bed. Never recovered the bullet.

I’m a firm believer in teaching shooting with light recoil or light draw weight when shooting bows. The shot sequence and follow through on the shot is what effects accuracy and if shooting is uncomfortable and a person can’t focus on those things it will hurt them in the long run.

Both of my boys started out shooting reduced recoil rounds in their hunting rifles and both shoot really well. I’m new to muzzle loaders but from my limited experience consistency in shooting seems to make a huge difference down range. It reminds me more of shooting a bow than a rifle. I’m shooting open ignition and 777 and know a flinch on the shot can mean the difference between a perfect hit or complete miss at 100 yards.