Suggestions for a 0* packable bag for 6’5” tall guy

Baron85

WKR
I’m looking for a 0* bag that will fit my 6’5” 215# frame. Wanting to try some winter camping this year. Budget of around 400-500. I toss and turn all night and usually sleep on my side. I don’t like super tight mummy bags.

The bag that stands out to me from research is the Nemo sonic. What other suggestions do you guys have or any feedback on the sonic? Thanks.

I am 6’3” side sleeper and toss and turn. Big fan of my Nemo forte and their spoon shaped design For side sleeping. I have big shoulders and the bag works up top. Tons of room from the waist down to kick and turn.

I am about your size, 6'4", but a little heavier at 240. I have a BA 15 degree Park series down bag in Long Wide that fits well. I have also been using quilts a bunch over the last few years and EE long / extra wides are pretty nice.

That said, just ordered a kifaru slick bag as they are having a 20% off sale for Black Friday. Been wanting to try synthetic, just worried about how much pack space I will give up vs. down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m looking for a 0* bag that will fit my 6’5” 215# frame. Wanting to try some winter camping this year. Budget of around 400-500. I toss and turn all night and usually sleep on my side. I don’t like super tight mummy bags.

The bag that stands out to me from research is the Nemo sonic. What other suggestions do you guys have or any feedback on the sonic? Thanks.
Where are you going to be camping this winter? I see that 15deg bags have been recommended, they would freeze in those bags here in the winter. Personally, I would save a little more, or try to find a used Western Mountaineering Kodiak. Depending on where you'll be a -10bag wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just need a little more info on where you'll be using it. For synthetic bags, look at the Wiggy's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
I will be camping throughout central to eastern Colorado doing weekend predator hunts and wanting to try a snow shoe backpack in weekend trip

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, forget about a 15deg bag then. You'll need a zero or lower. You going to carry everything on your back, or use a pulk?

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
If we do an overnight snow shoe trip I was planning on carrying on my back. The predator hunting will be based out of the truck so no carrying. Just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve used my western mountaineering “sequoia” model down to negative temps multiple times.

Im also a side/stomach sleeper who changes “sides” multiple times per night. I hate mummy bags.

You will love western mountaineerings “semi rec” cut over the traditional mummy. It comes in a 6’6”version and is an absolutely fantastic bag. Will last you decades if you take care of it and store it uncompressed long term.

Check for Black sales and snag one. You will not be disappointed in the quality.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’4”, 240 lbs. I trust Marmot, sea to summit and Kifaru to fit my frame in their long sizes. Western Mountaineering I find to be slightly smaller. They’re doable but not as spacious.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m 6’4”, 240 lbs. I trust Marmot, sea to summit and Kifaru to fit my frame in their long sizes. Western Mountaineering I find to be slightly smaller. They’re doable but not as spacious.
WM makes bags with bigger internal dimensions than those you listed. What WM bags have you tried?

I think you might like the Outdoor Vitals Summit-15 degree bag. I am a side sleeper also and the OV bag is a top zipper, which if you are a side sleeper it winds up on the side. Not on the top or bottom as a side zipper would. I was skeptical of it at first but after using in I prefer a top zipper now. Also right now they are having their Black Friday sale so you can get the -15 degree long/wide version for under $300. It looks to be a bit roomier than the Nemo Sonic.