Suggestions for a good day hunting load hauling backpack

Catahoula

WKR
Kifaru Woodsman is on my back. Compresses down nicely as a day pack. Been used for a couple three night scouting/ high country fly fishing trips as well this summer. Good luck.

Do this!

Plus a cargo net to hold the boned out meat.

wyosam

WKR
Am in the same market as the OP - was thinking the MR Mule. What's the limitation on it that would recommend against?
That's what I use and I love it. I don't want a bigger bag, because it is too easy to end up bringing crap I don't need. I can use it for overnights, too. I just put camp in a drybag on the meat shelf. Then I'm back to a day-pack while hunting. I considered the cabinet as well, but thought it was overly complicated. Until I got the Mule, I had been using the same bare freighter frame with a meat shelf I got from Cabela's for over 20 years. With that I always just strapped a drybag or two on as needed. Had one small one that fit all the basics I need for a hunt, then added another for additions like more layers or overnight gear.

ledflight

WKR
That's what I use and I love it. I don't want a bigger bag, because it is too easy to end up bringing crap I don't need. I can use it for overnights, too. I just put camp in a drybag on the meat shelf. Then I'm back to a day-pack while hunting. I considered the cabinet as well, but thought it was overly complicated. Until I got the Mule, I had been using the same bare freighter frame with a meat shelf I got from Cabela's for over 20 years. With that I always just strapped a drybag or two on as needed. Had one small one that fit all the basics I need for a hunt, then added another for additions like more layers or overnight gear.
Thanka for the reply, very helpful.

I've been looking for a day pack as well. Been looking at the Badlands 2200 and Scapegoat 35, both seem like good options for dual purpose
I would not choose the Badlands 2200 for a dual-purpose pack. Two of my buddies have them and I was not impressed with how they handled anything over 40# They were practically dragging behind their butts.

As for dual purpose, I had high hopes for the MR Pop-up 28, but it just didn't work for me.

Still looking, but until then I'm gonna run my Eberlestock Dragonfly with a pack frame in the truck.

Am in the same market as the OP - was thinking the MR Mule. What's the limitation on it that would recommend against?
I wanted the same problem solved, I had Pods8 make me something a little different than a mule, all it’s seen is training miles so far but it’s working just fine. I too am of the if there’s still room in the bag I must not have enough gear yet mind set. I plan to use this for everything from day hunts to weekend trips during early season.

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Purchased a SG solo and hiked 6 plus miles yesterday doing one last camera check before elk opener next Friday. I loaded it with my day load out I will use for hunting plus a laptop, the pack is everything and a bag of chips! No shoulder, neck or back pain. Sweating was minimal noise was almost none existent compressed down super nice. Coming from a Badlands clutch it's like going from motel 6 to a Hilton, both work ones a heck of a lot more comfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MR Crewcab dude here. I will do all of my dayhikes and day hunts with this pack. I added a set of MR water bottle pouches to the belt and its been pretty awesome. It has a OV load lifter kit on it, which is really handy. I've used most of the Kifaru and Exo packs and they are all awesome, but the MR NICE frame fits me the best so that is what I went with.

I recently picked up a MR Terraframe 50 and used it for a 12 day backcountry trip in June. I had about 40lbs in it and covered just over 100 miles in Oregon. It was extremely comfortable and the ability to place goods between the frame and the bag is super simple, probably the best design I have seen so far.

Jimss

WKR
I do an incredible amount of scouting in the off season. Most of the time I use a smaller/lighter Timberline bag with frame and convert over to my EMR II bag when hunting. When hunting it's possible to cinch a larger bag down tight to the frame and nice to have the additional room in the bag to pack out a heavy load the first trip. Most of the game I shoot is several miles from the nearest road. in super remote, rough country. It would be possible to bone and pack out an entire muledeer without having to return to pack it out later! With elk and larger game it would save 1 trip! It's super nice having a super comfortable frame capable of 100+ lb loads. A large bag really doesn't weigh much more than smaller bag. If I was buying a new Kifaru bag I'd likely go with a Fulcrum. You can cinch the larger center bag tight to the frame and use the 2 long side bags plus lid for spotter, tripod, raingear, etc. I often use every square inch of large volume bags (7,000 cu in). I use the same EMRII for turkey hunting....great for hauling decoys and 1 or 2 toms out of the hills!

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing a ton of research on this same subject. I have settled on the Kuiu Pro. Though I prefer a pack that's at least 4000 sq inches since I pack my spotting scope and full size tripod.

Plan is to order all the Kuiu Pro backpack carbon fiber frame, suspension, and accessories pouches, but get the Kuiu Ultra 4000 bag.

The modular design of the Kuiu is nice too because I will be able to purchase other size bags in the future and easily swap them out on the frame.