Suggestions for an Elk Day Pack

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
Hey,

So I am interested in buying a hunting pack that I can use to hunt elk, deer, etc. with. I will mainly be doing 1 day hunts and going back to the truck at night. I want something that I can carry out that first load with before I grab my meat hauler at the truck for the rest. Also would like something that can hold a rifle. My budget is tight and would like to keep it under $200. What are some recommended day packs that you guys have used in the past? Thanks.

KineKilla

WKR
In the same boat. For under $200 you'll have to watch the classified ads pretty closely. Seems these days you cannot even get a bare frame for that price.

My search led me to the Kuiu Pro 2300 with frame and suspension but it will run around $500 new. Good luck in the search.

Edit: Many people use the Badlands 2220 as a meat hauling day pack. My friend uses one as his main pack but has yet to haul meat with it. You may find one of those for a reasonable cost.

You both need to check out camofire.com and huntoftheday.com each and every day. They have great prices (usually 50% off), on hunting gear, plenty of times they have backpacks on sale. The items change daily, so check it frequently.
Today: Alps commander lite frame pack, and several Mystery Ranch packs.

I'll give you my opinion, it's not a specific pack either. I feel like several times I have spent pretty good money on something just to be disappointed. Seems alright at the time, but doesn't last. The amount of money I spent on packs over the years adds up to close to what I spent when I finally purchased a high end pack. I can say the same thing for my optics. It's where the phrase buy once cry once comes from. If you don't have any day pack at all you will definitely need one, but I would be conservative with the purchase. Keep an eye on the classifieds, might find a deal.

Lots of info here on the quality and experiences people have had with different packs. I'd read up on something as much as you can before you spend the money.

OP
Eastcoasthunter94

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
You both need to check out camofire.com and huntoftheday.com each and every day. They have great prices (usually 50% off), on hunting gear, plenty of times they have backpacks on sale. The items change daily, so check it frequently.
Today: Alps commander lite frame pack, and several Mystery Ranch packs.

Never heard of huntoftheday.com will have to checkout thanks!

2rocky

WKR
My Badlands 2200 from 2005 has hauled out elk quarters to where the horses could be loaded, packed antlers and boned meat. I'll keep using it till it fails. You are looking at $280 new.

But I think any pack with a aluminum stay internal frame in the 1800-2500 CI range that cinches down compactly and lets you carry a spotter, tripod, emergency kit, meat bags, and lunch and snacks will suffice.

Rifle carrying, I use a Montana sling. Some folks like the Kifaru gun bearer. I'm not a fan of the integral scabbard.

Dazzler

WKR
There was a decent deal on a horn hunter full curl system in the classifieds recently. Not sure if it’s still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Eastcoasthunter94

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at all your guys suggestions and my own research and I’ve narrowed it down to The Eberlestock X2, Badlands Diablo Dos, Badlands 2200, and one of the Tenzing Packs. Anyone have experience with any of these? I did hear on a few places that the Badlands packs are mainly made for taller people. I’m only 5’9 has any one had that issue? Thanks again

prm

WKR
I have an Eberlestock X2. I like the pack, I just haven’t needed it with others laying around. I find it to be very versatile. It feels great as a day pack. I’m 5’8”. I wouldn’t want to carry too much weight for too far, but a smaller bag of meat would be fine. The Mystery Ranch Mule is another pack I believe would fit what you are looking for.

CO-AJ

WKR
I went with Exo
I’ve been looking at all your guys suggestions and my own research and I’ve narrowed it down to The Eberlestock X2, Badlands Diablo Dos, Badlands 2200, and one of the Tenzing Packs. Anyone have experience with any of these? I did hear on a few places that the Badlands packs are mainly made for taller people. I’m only 5’9 has any one had that issue? Thanks again
I have 2 Eberlestock packs, and they are great. Both are around 2400 cu in, but I wouldn't carry meat out with either of them, but perfect for glassing or just a 1-2 day hike. Would definitely get one with a shelf for doing meat hauling. I just bought an Exo for the extended trips, but I think Seek Outside also makes some very nice hunting packs. I would agree with comments above to spend as much as you can on the pack to get the comfort and features. If you buy 2 moderately priced packs you will be at or exceed a single quality pack.

BigKuda

FNG
any name brand pack will do for that but watch the sales or classified and pull the trigger. But keep in mind they all pretty much collapse down small so don't be afraid to go bigger than you think. In case you decided to try overnight stuff

You just missed Black Ovis' big Memorial Weekend sale. You could have picked up a brand new Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 for just a tiny bit above your budget. A perfect pack for what you're looking for. If you can wait, they'll have another big sale around Labor Day.

I used a Eberlestock Blue Widow JP9 as a day pack and as a first-trip hauler back to the truck where I could grab a dedicated frame hauler pack. I liked the pack layout and it was comfortable with day pack weights. It was also a great Dad pack when hiking with the family where over the course of a long hike your pack grows bigger since things from everyone else's pack get added to yours!

Even after I got a Kifaru Duplex I still continued to use the Blue Widow for day hunting since it was not too stiff and I would just take a lighter load out the first trip. I finally stopped using the Blue Widow when I started using a modified MR Crew Cab pack with extended load lifters that fit my back great and fit the use for a day pack that could carry a first trip meat load out. The big part is if you want to carry the first load of meat out it will need to be a day pack with that capability and suspension.

If you want to stay around or under $200 you will definitely have to buy used. Even then a used SG or Kifaru will be tough to find around $200 so I would look for a lightly used Eberlestock or older model MR pack like a Crew Cab on the classifieds or ebay.

I had a bad experience with Badlands. That was one of the cheaper packs that I tried on my way to the premium packs. If you go easy on it you would probably be ok. I bent the stays in it packing out and it ended up wrecking my back for a while.

I haven't used them but I'd look towards a used MR in your price range. They seem to be good quality, just on the heavy side.

Kimber22

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 actually. The HPG Junction for really light no belt, and the MR Scapegoat 35. The MR I found for a hair above your limit, will carry gun with a boot, or a bow strapped with the compression straps. I love this pack being a bigger guy. I also have a HPG Ute, but that's quite a bit north of your price. That's my 2-4 day pack.

fatlander

WKR
Mystery ranch terrframe 50. Just slightly over your budget (look around, they’re on sale all the time). Plenty of room for day gear and even an over nighter. Plus you have the load shelf for meat/longer trip. That’s the best pack you can get for that money without a doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Mountain Archery has the MR pop up 28 for $243 or somewhere around there right now. That’s the route I went because I hunt the same way.