Suggestions for finding these mythical boots

Ketron10a

FNG
Ok fellow hunters. I need some help. I am looking for a new set of boots for this years hunting trip I have planned (Utah rifle deer). The issue I have is that there is just no one around here that sells quality back country hiking/hunting boots. I'm limited to REI and a local very small Bass Pro. I have a field and stream store bout an hour away. But none of the big name boots I see everyone recommend have any dealers anywhere near me. Anyone else in this predicament? Solutions? (Other than drive 5 hours to a retailer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Your REI has quality hiking backpacking boots. I wear Salewa mountain trainer boots. Hunted elk in WY/AZ for over 60 days last year and packed out 2 cows and a bull. Hiked over 140 miles carrying a pack. You don't necessarily need boots marketed as "hunting boots". You need boots that fit your feet well and that will work for your style of hunting, terrain, weather and load.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My last 6 pairs of boots were all bought online. Four pair of Zamberlans, one pair of Lowa's, and one pair of Crispi's. I still have the Crispi's and three pair of Zamberlans.......sold the other two. I never shop local for boots because "local" never has them on clearance.

Danner has a great return policy, there should be a sale coming up and you could get the Thorofare boots at a great price.

Last year when I got my Crispi's from BlackOvis, their policy was if you need to return a boot for a different size , they would pay return shipping, and ship the other size free. You had to pay for the other size, but when they received the first pair, they quickly credited for them.

OP
K

Ketron10a

FNG
Your REI has quality hiking backpacking boots. I wear Salewa mountain trainer boots. Hunted elk in WY/AZ for over 60 days last year and packed out 2 cows and a bull. Hiked over 140 miles carrying a pack. You don't necessarily need boots marketed as "hunting boots". You need boots that fit your feet well and that will work for your style of hunting, terrain, weather and load.

I’ll go give them a look. I stopped in last night to see what they had but the selection looked poor. I’ll keep looking.

OP
K

Ketron10a

FNG
I was hoping to try some on and get an idea of fitment because I know boots and sizes (shoes in general) are all different. I get some good discounts online thru Govx and other sites so I was hoping to try on then buy online. Only downside is often times no returns.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I live a bit over an hour south of you. I am looking for some boots to hunt bear in the catskills and go on a mule deer or elk hunt next year. I've found some dealers within a 3 hour drive for you. It's still a haul, but probably worth a day trip. Unfortunately there aren't any Crispi dealers near, and I'm sure I missed a few brands.

Kenetrek: hidden hollow sporting clays in Friendsville PA.
Lowa: American Trade and Goods inc in cohoes and Mountain outdoor supply company in saratoga springs
Scarpa: Too many to list within 100 miles of you, find their dealer locator on their site.
Montano and sons in saugerties sells Zamberlan, and supposedly Lowa, although Lowa does not have them listed on their site.

GoHUNT is another online option with a good boot return policy (return unworn outside within 30 days for full refund). I recently ordered two pair of Hanwag Alaska's from GoHUNT in different sizes because my foot measurements fell in between on their size chart. I kept the pair that fit better and returned the other. Return shipping was on my dime but only cost around $15 via UPS (Oklahoma City to Las Vegas, NV).

OP
K

Ketron10a

FNG
Another REI I visited had Zamberland and Salomon. Both fit good. The Zambis were by far the better boot. BY FAR.

Kcole1987

FNG
as stated above, may be best to pick out a few pairs and order them all return the ones that dont work. being in the east kinda sucks. there isnt that many places that will carry the high end boots made for western hunting.

Gutshotem

WKR
Check out Zappos. They have free shipping and a one year return policy if you want to try a few pair/sizes out.

jt4

WKR
Blackovis bc of the return policy

I don't agree with the sites that make you pay return shipping. If you're buying boots online there's no possible way for you to know if they fit or not.

bigjohn

FNG
I broke down a few years ago and ordered a pair from Russell Moccasin. He has a measuring form you make for each foot . They were a little snug at first but now they are the most comfortable pair of boots I own. If or when these wear out I’ll be buying another pair for sure.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon carries many of the best hiking and hunting brands. Often with Prime benefits - free shipping and free returns. They have zamberlan, Kennetrek, lowa, asolo, Salewa, hanwag, scarpa and others. Try several. Return what doesn’t fit.