Suggestions for food prep chef / kitchen knife or knives

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know how all you foreign-made knife guys can sleep at night. ;)

We use Cutco knives made right here in America. Free sharpening (if you wish) and lifetime replacement warranty.

SharkDog

FNG
I love my Wusthof Classic chef's knife. I personally liked the heavier, solid feel of the german knives over the light, delicate feel of the Japanese knives.

I have two cheaper Victorinox knives (slicing blade and fillet blade) for butchering.
I have owned a few in my lifetime.

I don't think you can beat the Mercer line of knives. I was going to spend big bucks on a set when I was researching these- glad I didn't these are awesome and everyone that uses them comments on them.

Rated 5 stars at a restaurant supply house

I have the Renaissance....but I've got friends that have the cheaper line and they are good too
Commercial Knife Set | Professional Knife Set

I was given a Wusthof Classic 8" chefs knife ~10 years ago for my birthday. Its an awesome knife. After using it that long, I really like the weight and balance. It takes an edge easily and holds an edge fairly well. I do 98% of my food prep with it.

I also have a couple mercers knives. I don't think they can be beat for the money. I have a 10" chefs knife that feels tip heavy, but is easy to use. Steel is fine. Takes and edge easily seems to hold it well enough. I also have a boning knife. It's super similar to my victorinox filet knife.

Depending on your knife skills and comfort, you may find a serrated z knife useful. They get tons of use in commercial kitchens for all sorts of prep work. Pick one up for $20 and give it a spin.

Hondo

WKR
I would concur on the Tojiro DP and the Forschner recommendations. Others to consider are MAC knives, a Japanese line popular with culinary folks for many years and the Spyderco's kitchen line which was a Masahiro collaboration. I primarily used just a Spyderco Santoku & Mini Parer and Forschner boner in the last camp I cooked for.

archp625

WKR
I'm going to recommend what I know. I'm sure there a ton of other really good knife companies out there. I use the 2 Man Henckel's. Don't bother with the one man, they aren't Henckel's. Also don't buy a kit, you wont use half of it, start out with a good chefs knife.

I would also recommend taking a knife skills class in your area. My wife and I did and he went over knives and which ones are good and the reasons behind it not just this one is good because i get paid to say that.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
MAC Professional series. A investment but many professional cooks use them on a daily basis.