suggestions for low hiking/trail shoe for hunting

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
My OTC elk/deer archery hunt in Oregon I like to wear light low top hikers/trail shoes with some water resistance. What do you all recommend that is 1. Light, 2. water resistant. 3. soft to mid firm sole? I have been looking at some salomon, merrell, lowa, etc and just not sure which way I want to go. Thanks.

Owenst7

WKR
I just bought my second pair of Merrell Allout Blaze's. The first pair went about 4 years as my everyday shoes for mechanic work in the shop, welding, yard work, summer hiking shoes, etc. The footbed is extremely comfortable for me (store employee told me that Superfeet modeled the footbed for that shoe so maybe that's why). I really like that they don't use an insert because in the desert around here, low top footwear always gets sand/dust/pebbles in them and it's annoying to pull out the insert and shake the shoe out constantly.

I wouldn't call them a stiff shoe by any means. That's maybe my only complaint. They have a pretty thick foam midsole that's plenty cushy, but I don't think there's any shank, and if you spend all day balancing on the points of sharp rocks like we have around here, your feet will get a little tender if they aren't used to it.

They have one of the grippiest soles I've ever had in a shoe. It's also got really deep lugs and my old shoes still have a lot of tread on them.

Pretty sure they make a mesh and a waterproof version. I don't care for mesh shoes around here because they collect so much dust and my feet get abraded raw. I wouldn't want a waterproof shoe simply because they'd take longer to dry out, and at shoe height, I'm going to swamp them or get my ankles wet from brush if I'm in wet conditions anyway. I do wear mine fishing after work sometimes, and since they have a lot of solid patches of good thick leather (they are really tough shoes), they are pretty water repellent just by nature. If you used Obenauf's or something on the leather, they'd probably be pretty darn water resistant for a shoe.

I know the Moab's are like their most popular shoe. Looking at them in the Merrell outlet, the midsole is quite a bit stiffer. I like the Blaze for an everyday shoe and when doing day hikes in the summer and then I switch to my Schnee's or Danners if I'm sidehilling, carrying a lot of weight, or in cooler temps.

Most of my shoes have been Merrells since I started using them for roofing back when I was in college. They were some of the only shoes I found that would hold up to the abuse that shingling 6-7 days a week would put them through, and I had some pretty severe plantar fasciitis from wearing unsupportive shoes that they helped with. Can't really compare them to much else because once I found something that worked, I stuck with it and haven't tried much else.

Check out the Irish Setter shed hunter. I believe they just discontinued so you can probably get good pricing.

I have a pair and really like them. They are perfect for anything where you will be limited to lower pack weights. I never got wet feet even when walking through wet grass. Feel like a sneaker and have a great grip.