Suggestions for where to take our adult children hunting (State and Game) in 2022?

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Since this thread is not game specific I wasn't sure where to post it, so I decided here.

My two adult sons (25 & 23) want to hunt out West next year, and my hunting buddy has an adult daughter (25) who wants to go as well. He and I would like to take the three of them on a Western hunt in 2022, but we're having trouble narrowing it down to a state and game animal.

We've taken them all hunting the last two years and now they are "hooked" on it. My buddy and I couldn't be happier, and the time we spend hunting with them is our most enjoyable week of the year.

Last year we took them all to WY for Pronghorn, and a few weeks ago we all went to CO for Mule Deer. We had a fair amount of points for the five of us on both hunts, and were luck enough to go five for five on each hunt. Because of that we've kinda set the bar pretty high, and the kids don't have a lot of points for hunting in any state now.

So, we're looking for suggestions on where we could hunt out West on a DIY rifle hunt. There will be five (5) of us, and we have campers and a wall tent, and UTV's if necessary. We're not looking for trophies, just good representative animals of the game that we'll be hunting. We would like something with decent odds at filling our tags.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I thank you in advance.

Rob5589

WKR
My vote is Idaho. A lot of animals, few people and a lot of public land. Mule deer and elk.
Not exactly true with "few people." The issue with Idaho is trying to get 5 tags in the same zone. Ask guys that always hunt together that couldn't get tags in the same zones for 2020 how Idaho's new system worked out.

Fitzwho

WKR
Depends on what points you have and where.

other than Idaho General deer and elk, CO OTC rifle elk, and Nebraska deer. You’ll be limited to leftovers and the like. Unless you want to go to go all the way to Washington or Oregon to hunt Rosie’s.

If you all want to tag out then go back to Wyoming for pronghorn.

I can’t think of a good elk hunt you can do DIY without a lot of experience or paying for private land. Cow elk is way higher success rates though.

If you really want an experience go DIY deer on Kodiak. Plenty of deer for everyone and would be a fun time if you go early and fish for salmon/ocean. If you have the money go late season on a boat hunt.

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you all want to tag out then go back to Wyoming for pronghorn.

I can’t think of a good elk hunt you can do DIY without a lot of experience or paying for private land. Cow elk is way higher success rates though.

If you really want an experience go DIY deer on Kodiak. Plenty of deer for everyone and would be a fun time if you go early and fish for salmon/ocean. If you have the money go late season on a boat hunt.
I set up a hunt there five years ago for a group. It was a very fun hunt. I took two, this one lived with a beautiful view:

D3AF801F-4370-46D8-AD43-56B381901772.jpeg