Suggestions for where to take our adult children hunting (State and Game) in 2022?

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what points you have and where.

other than Idaho General deer and elk, CO OTC rifle elk, and Nebraska deer. You’ll be limited to leftovers and the like. Unless you want to go to go all the way to Washington or Oregon to hunt Rosie’s.
Thank you for posting.

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
25 yr olds should be taking you or at least planning the trip for you to finance. They will always be your little darlings but are no longer children.

I’ve planned all of the out of state hunts that I’ve ever went on. It’s hard to let a newbie pick/plan my hunts. But they’re certainly welcome to help with the packing/heavy lifting. LOL.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I’ve planned all of the out of state hunts that I’ve ever went on. It’s hard to let a newbie pick/plan my hunts. Both they’re certainly welcome to help with the packing/heavy lifting. LOL.

My stepson will go if I plan and pay for everything but it's like pulling teeth just to get him to call his mother. He will go deer hunting and we bring his live-in GF/wife - they share a stand and he shoots, she cheers on the deer to get away. It's a fun adventure with them. Just little interest otherwise.

Flip side, I'm dragging my father along these days, his usual answer was always "no" (anything a long ways from home or when extra $$ is involved) and now that he's on heaven's doorstep, he's willing to do the trips we shoulda done 20-30 years ago.

You guys have done the best 2 hunts IMO - WY antelope is awesome and CO mule deer is just beautiful. Next would be elk somewhere - I got nothing to offer there.

California pig hunting is fun, extremely high success rate with a guide ($700-$1000) and extremely low success rate on private. OTC tags and a Year round season also makes it easy to plan around other seasons. Could easily combine it with an ocean fishing trip too and bring home all kinds of good meat.

WRO

WKR
My vote is Idaho. A lot of animals, few people and a lot of public land. Mule deer and elk.
Huh, must be a different idaho than I live in..

There are good places to hunt, but I haven't found much that's not crowded.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I set up a hunt there five years ago for a group. It was a very fun hunt. I took two, this one lived with a beautiful view:

View attachment 346171
That’s a great deer! Summer on Kodiak has neat scenery and velvet bucks with good fishing. The cost is way less on a drop hunt vs boat based. Weather is a lot warmer and days long. They do have caribou in some parts for a combo hunt

Attachments

• D857DE8F-250A-4072-A953-DBD59813309D.jpeg
    D857DE8F-250A-4072-A953-DBD59813309D.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 22
  • B2DC77AA-CE20-4923-9A26-1622080D116B.jpeg
    B2DC77AA-CE20-4923-9A26-1622080D116B.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2C429410-1CFB-4B60-8815-3870C3A1BCEC.jpeg
    2C429410-1CFB-4B60-8815-3870C3A1BCEC.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 21
I would vote idaho like previously stated…do research and buy your tag early.. deer or elk. Deer might be a good start to the state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My stepson will go if I plan and pay for everything but it's like pulling teeth just to get him to call his mother. He will go deer hunting and we bring his live-in GF/wife - they share a stand and he shoots, she cheers on the deer to get away. It's a fun adventure with them. Just little interest otherwise.

Flip side, I'm dragging my father along these days, his usual answer was always "no" (anything a long ways from home or when extra $$ is involved) and now that he's on heaven's doorstep, he's willing to do the trips we shoulda done 20-30 years ago.

You guys have done the best 2 hunts IMO - WY antelope is awesome and CO mule deer is just beautiful. Next would be elk somewhere - I got nothing to offer there.
Rich M,

Thanx for posting. Hunting with your stepson sounds…”interesting”. LOL. Have a great time with your father. Those hunts are limited for both of us.

I agree that we picked two great hunt for the kids. Both were very enjoyable. Now hunt selection/planning is getting tougher. Elk would be fun, but it’s such a low percentage hunt. I’ve done a few, lots of work, but tons of fun!

Take care!

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great deer! Summer on Kodiak has neat scenery and velvet bucks with good fishing. The cost is way less on a drop hunt vs boat based. Weather is a lot warmer and days long. They do have caribou in some parts for a combo hunt
Thank you!

Nice pics!

We did a boat hunt. I don’t sleep much when there’s big fuzzy meat-eaters roaming around. Never have. I took this one on the right also:

843BEA70-3157-4613-8C7B-3FDC2C35C4DF.jpeg

I bet a picture of your buddy's 25 year old daughter might help narrow things down a bit. We got enough ugly lady's in Montana and don't need any more filtering into our woods. Getting lost and tagged by a rutted up hunter that don't know any better. BOOM. Got some ugly kids on the way. Can't have that now can we.

ppt2211

FNG
In Colorado you can find some units that can draw with one points. First rifle season still isn’t too cold. However success rate is way lower probably around 10-20%.

OP
NABG Hunter

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
In Colorado you can find some units that can draw with one points. First rifle season still isn’t too cold. However success rate is way lower probably around 10-20%.
We’re out of CO Mule Deer points after this year. We do have one CO Antelope point thought if that makes a difference.

Again we have about 27 WY Mule Deer points between the 5 of us.

Last edited: