SUGGESTIONS: Need a sling solution for an AR-15 with a Thorsden CA-compliant stock.

TheGDog

WKR
Hello folks,

Quick question: I'm in CA and had to do the Thorsden stock in order to not have to register the damn thing as an "A SALT WEAPON".

It's a Bushmaster that has one of those like either 1.0 or 1.25 inch sling loops up front.... but out back just have the Thorsden customs stock with that sorta single-point sling looking attachment point?

So far on my other rifles I like Quake-Claw slings the best... looking to figure out how to carry this darn rifle over my sholder when hunting.

Thorsden has this little custom part you can insert in that single-point sling hole area that narrows it down to a normal sling-swivel stud sized hold so it can fit the Quake_Claw sling on that side. But how do I set it up for that front side with it a built-in sling loop from the factory?

I'm wondering if there is some foreend furniture I should be looking into which already has a standard sling-swivel stud built into it? Maybe two of them? One for sling, the other for hookup to Bipod?

I also bought a Quick-Disconnect sling swivel mount that had the same size strap loop as this rifles foreend. Only... go figure.. this QD-swivel stud doesn't seem to actually fit-in inside the mount hole they had on the back of the pseudo-pistol grip part of the stock.

I feel certain that somebody else on here from CA has addressed this issue regarding their Thorsden Customs stock, so figured I'd ask. Since installing the upgraded trigger, I'd like to take this with me now on hike-ins for predators and/or deer at closer range settings.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
FRS Gen II or Gen III? Enhanced or standard kit?

My recommendation is a two point cross body sling. I really like the Riflecraft RS-3. I have a Vickers Blue Force sling and prefer the Riflecraft. Personally I like QD sockets. Depending on which stock you have you may need to purchase some additional hardware.

I have used 550 cord to fabricate attachment points, it works if you know some knot work and have a little imagination. It works if not wanting to spend money on additional parts like a Magpul MOE handguard. Consider drilling and tapping the stock for a QD cup. It looks like the FRS Gen II has a cup on the side. The Gen III looks like it has more limited options and you might need to buy one of the mounting options they sell for it if you don't want to mod it.

The RS-2 is a good option if you want traditional sling placement.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Gen-II stock.

The QD attachment I bought.... from them... doesn't seem to fit into their QD "cup" on the stock.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Wait... I just noticed something so figure I'll ask for clarification.

I attempted to fit their QD attachment into point "A." in this photo. Are those supposed to click-in to this "B." location instead?

ThorsdenStock - Copy.jpg

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Oh Good Grief... fits in there at point "B" just fine!

Now I realize why I hadn't tried location "B". It was concealed under some camo-wrap tape I've had on this rifle since forever, HA!

Now to figure out how to acquire a Quake Claw sling made for this 1.25 loops... rather than sling-swivel studs.

EDIT: OH hey, already had a simple Nylon loop one. Should suffice for now.

Last edited: