Suggestions on a cheap winter beater/work commuter

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
They used to sell the Forester XT, which was turbo charged. I think there was a turbo Outback too, but I can't remember for sure. I've always shied away from Subarus because I don't like the idea of working on their motors. My friends have had mixed luck with Subaru reliability.

The Rav4 is a solid suggestion. Brother in law has a couple and they have been perfect despite being treated like farm trucks.

They used to sell the Forester XT, which was turbo charged. I think there was a turbo Outback too, but I can't remember for sure. I've always shied away from Subarus because I don't like the idea of working on their motors. My friends have had mixed luck with Subaru reliability.

The Rav4 is a solid suggestion. Brother in law has a couple and they have been perfect despite being treated like farm trucks.
Roger that and Toyota reliability is next to the best across all their models. Had a 2010 Tundra that was a tank until I hit a deer with it.

Oregonboy

WKR
Rav4 is a great car. We've had one since 2010 and it's been hassle free, gets great mileage and holds quite a bit of gear. Good AWD too.

Brendan

WKR
I'm in this scenario, bought a do-it-all SUV and sort of regret selling my truck. Next time around commuter will be something like a civic or a jetta with a manual transmission. Low $20's new, and close to or over 40MPG on the highway. Truck gets saved for all the fun stuff when I'm not just chewing up miles on the highway. (I commute close to 100 miles / day almost all highway)

wyodan

WKR
1983 Honda Civic. It has eight wires in the engine compartment, and 4 of those are for the spark plugs. It is really like a low clearance, poor traction 4-wheeler. And if you get it cheap enough, any car is a good commuter/weekend hunting rig.

More seriously though, I have had real good luck with standard Subaru foresters, and terrible luck with the turbo charged ones. Lots of power if you can keep them running. If I was to do over the commuter car thing, I would not get the turbo option when they have higher miles.

Opah

WKR
Anything with a Vortex 4.3 V6, 200 HP out the gate and with simple auditions can get 230 +-
earlier engines with TBI or the Newer with EFI a very strong and dependable engine.
the 96 S-10s are good and the 96 ZR2s outstanding off road trucks.

Pretty hard to beat a Toyota just gave my son my corolla it has 389,000 no oil leaks and uses no oil been no problems what so ever unreal reliability hated to give it to him but he needed a second car. I well forever own a Toyota I now have a 2011 Toyota Four Runner another great vehicle.

Pretty hard to beat a Toyota just gave my son my corolla it has 389,000 no oil leaks and uses no oil been no problems what so ever unreal reliability hated to give it to him but he needed a second car. I well forever own a Toyota I now have a 2011 Toyota Four Runner another great vehicle.
Roger that man…. Bought a 2010 4Runner Limited new and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. The Limiteds came with fully locking front and rear differentials, essentially all power available to all 4 wheels without any of the limited slip BS my Silverado always had. That thing made traction with P-rated tires my Z71 couldn’t accomplish with M/Ts. Still kick my own a$$ for trading it.

grfox92

WKR
My mother's Carola is an 06 and has 350k on the clock. Runs like brand new. Leaks and burns nothing. Truly remarkable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Something crazy will have to happen before my commuter will be anything but a forester. First one was an 04 new one is a 17. 30mpg’s, extremely reliable and they’ll climb a tree if the bark holds.

I have a 100 mile commute and have to be there before any roads are plowed in the morning. They handle snowy roads way better than my trucks do. I’ve had them in some extremely sketchy places hunting and fishing and with good studded tires you have to be an idiot to get them stuck.

My mom has had rav 4’s forever they’re reliable but they’re made for women and at 6’1” it’s impossible for me to get comfortable driving them and I hit my head getting in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk