Suggestions on a chonograph?

What happened to your sporter? Mine is still going strong and I have one of the prerelease versions, years of use and thousands of rounds, the strap for the barrel needs replaced but hasn’t fully ripped apart.

It wouldn’t log shots the last time I tried using it a couple years ago. I tried fresh batteries but haven’t bothered trouble shooting any more the LR has run without a hitch.

It would gradually start to slip on some of my rifles too. Not a deal beaker but annoying.

tdhanses

WKR
It wouldn’t log shots the last time I tried using it a couple years ago. I tried fresh batteries but haven’t bothered trouble shooting any more the LR has run without a hitch.

It would gradually start to slip on some of my rifles too. Not a deal beaker but annoying.
If you want I’ll pay shipping to take it off your hands.

I use a labradar but most of my rifles are suppressed. I love it. With suppressors, it works best with a recoil trigger.
since I like limiting variables and multitasking, I can use the labradar to sight in and record data without having to worry about shifting the POI from something hanging on the end of the barrel. I know I’m splitting frog hairs. Although pricey, it has saved me a lot of time. Just read the instructions and it works great.

tdhanses

WKR
It doesn’t take up too much space on the shelf. I figure if the LR craps the bed someday I’ll try to get the sporter working again.
My guess is your sensitivity setting needs adjusted. I used to have mine slip on my barrel as well till I left the knob completely loose and tightened the strap by hand as hard as I could then tighten the knob, hasn’t moved since doing that routine.

Labradar. I recently got one and it hasn’t missed a shot. I have only used it with 22 handguns and 9mm handguns. No rifles yet. If you don’t mind shifts while shooting a Magnetospeed is cheaper and doesn’t require any extras.

Magneto speed works great. For suppressors I just set it 6 inches past the end of the suppressor and it picks it up.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I use the magneto, it is very accurate and convenient.
Before that it was one of the folding kind - prochrono? Anyway, it was erratic until I built a plywood box for it. It mounted inside and the box was painted black throughout with a fluorescent light diffuser on top.

I'm a happy Labradar user. Have tried and know guys who use Magneto's and several switched up to Labradar.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Phineas

FNG
Magnetospeed is awesome. Works indoors, never missed a shot shooting from a 308 bolt gun and an ar. It provides some very useful info. The data I had for my 308 was 100 FPS slower than actual. Having the right velocity makes calculating your point of impact at long range much more accurate.

Any problems with the Labradar and muzzle brakes ?? Muzzle blast.
No issue just proper setup. I put the Labradar within 6” of barrel for offset and always in front of muzzle. If muzzle brake I move it a little further forward. I have not missed a reading. I have mainly shot 9mm handgun and 22 handgun to test it. But have shot braked rifles as well.

Find a buddy or two. Get the Labradar. No need to get accessories to mount the Magnetospeed so you're not getting POI shifts especially if you start to reload. I prefer the labradar hands down and gives you way more data and allows for a it to be on excel.

labradar is the least expensive way to go if you have a few guns.

magnetospeeds cause POI shift (will not work for zeroing rifle)...optical will not pick up all shots and can be inaccurate depending on conditions.

Breakdown to prove my point:
Lab costs $500 magnetospeed costs $200.

Lets say you have 6 times a year that you need to get speeds. 5 shot strings are pretty good at getting a speed.
WIth the magnetospeed you are just burning those 5 rounds with no feeback on zero etc.
Lets say factory ammo costs $2-3/round...hunting rifles cost on average $.75/round of barrel depreciation.
You are spending $15-20 every time you "get a speed" with magnetospeed.
WIth the lab radar you are getting a speed and also zeroing rifle or running it out at distance.

If you do this 6 times a year your savings will be $90-120/year.
So if you purchase the labradar you will break even after 3yrs if you only "get speeds" 6 times a year.

You mentioned that you needed to send speeds a few times a month...i think that you will be very happy purchasing the labradar.