Suggestions on Badlands to Yellowstone vacation (few other places in between)

Finch

WKR
So I'm gonna throw this out there and say that I can sometimes be a little too ambitious while planning family vacations. Myself, wife, 6 yr old, and 1.5 year old will be traveling from VA to Grand Forks, ND to visit my wife's brother. I have 14 days off between July 23rd and Aug 6th. We're hoping to fly from VA to Grand Forks on July 23rd and spend a couple nights with her brother. Then, I was thinking we could all drive down (rental vehicle) and visit the Badlands, Rushmore, Deadwood (time permitting), and then Yellowstone. I will also say that this is a spur of the moment type trip. We've always talked about doing a Yellowstone trip when our youngest turns 5 or so. BUT since we're visiting my wife's brother who is stationed at Grand Forks AFB, I figured we could make the most of this trip since we are somewhat "close" to Yellowstone. Below is the itinerary broken down day by day. Things I am unsure about are where we’d be sleeping each night. I hear accommodations at Yellowstone book up about a year in advance. Thought about renting an RV but that is crazy expensive. Do you see any flaws with this plan? Be honest please.

July 23rd: Fly to Grand Forks, ND. (approx. 6.5 hours) Spend night w/ in-laws
July 24th: Spend night w/ in-laws in Grand Forks.
July 25th: Drive to the Badlands (approx. 9 hours). Spend night @ ________________?
July 26th: Explore Badlands. Spend night @ _____________?
July 27th: Drive to Mount Rushmore (approx. 1.5 hours). Explore Rushmore and then drive to Deadwood (approx. 1 hour). Spend night @ _______________?
July 28th: Drive to Yellowstone (approx. 8 hours).
July 29th to Aug 1st: Explore Yellowstone. 4 full days for Yellowstone. End up at Grand Tetons
Aug 2nd: Drive to Sundance, WY ( 8 hours)
Aug 3rd: Drive to Grand Forks, ND (approx. 9 hours). Spend night w/ in-laws
Aug 4th: Fly home
Aug 6th: Back to work :(

Rich M

WKR
You have to swing by Devils Tower on your way to Yellowstone. It is pretty neat.

You'll like Rushmore, will be very crowded but worth the stop.

These are the kinds of vacations we took when I was younger - went back to work to rest. LOL! Enjoy your trip.

Manimal

FNG
Awesome trip. Took the family several years ago. We planned ahead and camped. It is going to be difficult to find places to stay. You will probably have to stay outside the park and drive in every day but its doable. My in laws joined us and they stayed just outside the park, west entrance. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HoytHntr4

WKR
For July 28th when you're driving to Yellowstone I suggest you route it out to go over the Bighorns, then over to Red Lodge, Montana. This will take you up over the Beartooth and into the NE entrance. This was one the favorite parts of our drive on your trip last year. We saw around 150 elk, and 5 moose while going over the bighorns, all from the highway.

You could stay in Watford City and hit the North Unit of Teddy Roosevelt Park in the morning and South Unit in afternoon. Then stay in Medora (get reservations) or if time allows head to Bowman for the night.
I agree with Red Lodge-Beartooth Pass experience. Awesome. That is a different tack however and would take you west out of Medora and likely eliminate the Black Hills from agenda. Stay in Glendive is a possibility.
If you are going to Black Hills DO NOT miss the Mammoth Museum in Hot Springs. Amazing active dig inside the building. kids will love it.

We are also going to Yellowstone this year we booked a year in advance and thing were getting full then. Check out VRBO a little cheaper than hotels and you can cook to save a few more $. Dont forget Cody wy. I personally would take a extra day in the black hills so much to do. Spearfish canyon, keystone, train ride, bear county (a little expensive) Custer park and more. Have fun and start looking for places to stay around Yellowstone.

I'd skip the "badlands" as you call it. It's stupid hot that time of the year. And not worth the drive. Assuming ur taking about South Dakota's park.

Take 29 to 94 to 90 and go over beartooth pass. Spend ur time around Yellowstone and Jackson.

Drive out through Dubois, north then over through tensleep.. check out big horns..

Across to black hills and spend a day or two

North on 85, to 94 and back t

We are also going to Yellowstone this year we booked a year in advance and thing were getting full then. Check out VRBO a little cheaper than hotels and you can cook to save a few more $. Dont forget Cody wy. I personally would take a extra day in the black hills so much to do. Spearfish canyon, keystone, train ride, bear county (a little expensive) Custer park and more. Have fun and start looking for places to stay around Yellowstone.

Wyoming is pretty sweet. I'd not pass the wind river range or the absaroka's to spend more time in the black hills.

Backyard

WKR
Do not miss The Needles Highway through Custer State Park. And Deadwood is just another small time gambling town now.

wyosteve

WKR
As mentioned, best check if you can even get reservations anywhere on the dates you want. That time of year is crazy busy with many places already booked up.

Axlrod

WKR
Defiantly go on the Beartooth highway. I live here and have been over it 30 times or more. My wife drives because she is afraid when i do, because its hard to watch the road!
The hotels in YNP are tough to get rooms and I would stay maybe 1 night at Canyon if you can, then make base camp at West Yellowstone.
You are going at peak time so everything will be crowded. If you can be in the Park by 6am- less people and more wildlife. Your ave. speed through the park will be 20 MPH or less- slower as the day goes. Roads are narrow and people stop in the middle of them weather the have to ( bison walking down the middle) or not ( taking pictures of chipmunks etc.) so just plan accordingly. And if you do happen upon some open roads do not speed.
4 Days will go by very fast there is lots to see!

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thank you all for the suggestions/tips. My wife is thinking that we should wait until our youngest is closer to 5 or 6 before tackling a Yellowstone trip. I hate to admit it but kinda agree with her. That way we'd be able to plan a little better and actually have some lodging lined up.

What is the typical day at Yellowstone like for a tourist? Driving around and possibly some hikes? Maybe I should just focus on staying in South Dakota since there seems there will be plenty there to keep us occupied.

Yellowstone outside of the first day it opens in the spring is a bit of a miss in my mind anyways.

Tetons are spectacular. Plenty of camping for free with views of the mountains.

Honestly if I was you I'd take the same amount of time and check out other areas besides black hills/ Yellowstone.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I see you've changed plans but for the future here are quick hits. I've made similar to this trip. Kids were teens. I believe kids travel and camp better than most think especially if you start young but yours are really young.

1. With your original itinerary, skip Rushmore if it's out of your way at all. We went a few hours out of our way and spent an hour there. Waste of time and money.

2. Beartooth pass needs to be on your list for the future. Amazing. Definitely a summer venture.

3. I liked Badlands but it would go in a compressed schedule. See Arches, Canyonlands and the other Utah Parks instead on another trip.

4. I skipped Devil's Tower for time. Wish we had done that instead of Rushmore.

5. Yellowstone: Google and you will find itineraries based on the number of days you have. We lost a day because of a flat on a camper so we had four days for Yellowstone and Teton. Not ideal but we get up early and stay out until dark so we maximized our time. Early bird beats traffic. This is a huge park with lots of ground to cover.
a. Tent camp in Tetons and then again in Yellowstone. Bridge Bay in Yellowstone has tent camping.
b. If you hike, remember this is Grizzly country. We're hikers. Didn't at Yellowstone.
c. At least have a decent pair of binos. Renting a spotting scope is even better.

Now, to current plans: You are ten hours to Custer State Park in SD. Buffalo and pronghorn. Scenic. It's near Rushmore if you wanted to keep Rushmore on your list.

Find museums with hands on stuff for the 6 year old. Year and a half old won't remember so just do what is manageable for you and your wife.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Now, to current plans: You are ten hours to Custer State Park in SD. Buffalo and pronghorn. Scenic. It's near Rushmore if you wanted to keep Rushmore on your list.

Find museums with hands on stuff for the 6 year old. Year and a half old won't remember so just do what is manageable for you and your wife.

I've been reading that Keystone would be a good place to stay. I just need to figure out what all I want to see and how long I'll be staying there. Thanks for the help.

Backyard

WKR
Mammoth hot springs has a big water park type pool and hotel. And in Mammoth there is a museum with an active dig (dinosaurs)that is pretty interesting. My kids liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I've been reading that Keystone would be a good place to stay. I just need to figure out what all I want to see and how long I'll be staying there. Thanks for the help.

Keystone is super packed and tourist trap. If planning to stay in the hills longer look up black hills vacation homes i think it is and rent a cabin/house and it will make it much more relaxed and enjoyable than hotels and cheaper in alot of cases.

We're planning the same trip at the end of July, driving out from WI. Going to hit SD (Rushmore, Badlands, some other crap) then on to Yellowstone. We booked a hotel in Gardiner, MT at the north entrance. It wasn't cheap, but there's not many options this late in the game.
We've found a great deal of info on the Yellowstone website (and others) for 3 day itineraries in/around Yellowstone. My kids are 13/10 and we've waited till they were older to make this trip. There's no way we can see everything in one trip, so we'll get this one under our belt and plan another one to see more of the other cool stuff in 2-3 years.

ErikM

FNG
Looks like a lot of great suggestions here. We took a long road trip to Telluride two years ago and explored that stretch of I-90. We hit up the Badlands, as was said it’s hot and not worth more than a day (a quick day!). Rushmore is cool to see just to check off the bucket list but we were in and out. Have to strongly agree that the Black Hills are worth exploring for a few days. Custer State Park was cool. Buffalo/Sheridan is also on our radar, I’ve heard great things, maybe you can loop over there for a bit if you’re not trekking as far west as Yellowstone.
Enjoy it wherever you end up!
I love exploring new parts of the country with the family...don’t forget whatever you don’t see goes on the list for the next trip...That’s how I look at it!!

Just adding that I did some backpacking but also front country tent camping in Yellow stone and Tetons last year. Tent camping was fine. There are placing you can take showers and get a meal. My favorites were Lamar valley, falls, old faithful lodge and the hike along the old faithful area the other springs are great but crowded and a little redundant after the first few. The ones with the brightly colored pools were my favs. Tetons were great. If you are not going into the backcountry you can see the highlights in a day.

West Yellowstone is a little town on the edge of the park. We popped out for a night to load up on supplies and get a bed, steak and a beer. They have a cool wildlife sanctuary with bears and wolves there.