Suggestions on Badlands to Yellowstone vacation (few other places in between)

Dries

WKR
Me and My Wife loved going to Custer Park Near Deadwood. We can’t wait to take our kids there!! I would recommend that park as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to Yellowstone with my daughter she was 18 months old I thought it was going to be a bit much but it was such a great trip, we had my cousins rv and very loose plans we thought wed stay in the park for 4-5 days but stayed for 9 in the park, we stayed a couple days in bridger natl forest on the way there and stopped in island park to visit friends on the way out, like it was said before children that age traveled very well and I spent hours fishing the Madison with her strapped to my back

I would highly recommend staying a night in Medora on your way to or from Yellowstone. Check out the town and park during the day and take in the musical at night. Then head down to SD the following day.

ErikM

FNG
I would highly recommend staying a night in Medora on your way to or from Yellowstone. Check out the town and park during the day and take in the musical at night. Then head down to SD the following day.
What’s up in Medora? We’re heading back home that route leaving MT this summer and planned on staying in Dickinson. The plan was to make a loop through TR park then dinner and hotel. Should we change it up and stay in Medora?

What’s up in Medora? We’re heading back home that route leaving MT this summer and planned on staying in Dickinson. The plan was to make a loop through TR park then dinner and hotel. Should we change it up and stay in Medora?

Medora is located right at the entrance to the park and is just a fun little town. Lots of small shops and fun stuff for the kids. I haven't been to the Medora Musical for years, but I know that people come from all over to see it. Medora is great for one day/night unless you're into hiking and/or mountain biking. There are some awesome trails in Medora with lots of wildlife....including rattlesnakes!

ErikM

FNG
Medora is located right at the entrance to the park and is just a fun little town. Lots of small shops and fun stuff for the kids. I haven't been to the Medora Musical for years, but I know that people come from all over to see it. Medora is great for one day/night unless you're into hiking and/or mountain biking. There are some awesome trails in Medora with lots of wildlife....including rattlesnakes!
Cool that’s exactly what we’d be doing, Half a day/night. That’s the return leg of a 4 week road trip out West so low key activities is all I’m getting out of the kids, I think they’ll be all hiked out! Definitely going to check it out....
Thanks for the info!!

😲Thanks for the heads up. Heat might be a deal breaker for the wife. 🔥🔥

Dickinson is only 40 miles from Medora....If it's hot in Medora it will be hot in Dickinson. If you won't be hiking, just drive through the park and take a quick walk through the town. The musical starts around sundown so you could always head for Dickinson afterwards. I haven't been in Medora for a few years, but I know they have some nice hotels, but not sure about pools for the kids. Lots of hotels with fun stuff for kids in Dickinson.

Dickinson is a bit of a mess after all the oilfield trash came through. Things have improved slightly in the last few years, but there are still some place to stay away from. Medora is just a tourist town with typical tourist attractions. Also, the pitchfork fondue (deep fried steak) is excellent if they are still doing that.

ErikM

FNG
Dickinson is only 40 miles from Medora....If it's hot in Medora it will be hot in Dickinson. If you won't be hiking, just drive through the park and take a quick walk through the town. The musical starts around sundown so you could always head for Dickinson afterwards. I haven't been in Medora for a few years, but I know they have some nice hotels, but not sure about pools for the kids. Lots of hotels with fun stuff for kids in Dickinson.

Dickinson is a bit of a mess after all the oilfield trash came through. Things have improved slightly in the last few years, but there are still some place to stay away from. Medora is just a tourist town with typical tourist attractions. Also, the pitchfork fondue (deep fried steak) is excellent if they are still doing that.

👌🏻👍🏻

dickinson is fine..

Lived there for about 4 years through the peak of the boom. Had lots of time off (10 to 14 days a month) to explore everywhere within 8-12 hours of D-hole (OG d-hole is dillingham)

Black hills, badlands, the breaks, bearlodge mnts.. those kinds of places are neat.. drive a bit further and soak in a hot spring by yourself looking at 7000' vertical mountains: badass

I think your trip looks awesome. I moved from Chicago back home to Oregon and did much of the same thing just headed west thought. We drove to the badlands in one day and then drove out of there, hit Mt. Rushmore, and all the way to Cody, Wy. all in one day made for a long day but then it would give you another day in Yellowstone and Tetons which I would say is well worth it.