Suggestions??

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Archery deer in Indiana would be my vote. It's only 7-8 hr to southeast Indiana and there is plenty of public land. I've been looking at this for the past couple years. Spoke to the biologist and if you get off the road you'll be alone. There are some draw hunts in some of the parks the biologist recommended.

Or a few days camping/canoeing and trout fishing in Algonquin park in Ontario. That may push the 12 hour drive but not by much. Beautiful country and some of the best Brookie fishing.

Hog hunting too but as you say, it's not something new. But it's certainly fun. We chase 'em with dogs and stick 'em which adds to the adventure

Trout fishing in the smokies wouldn't be bad either. Do some hiking and find some brookies

I havent done the hoggin with dogs yet, would love to stick one with a knife, we have done spot and stalk and stand hunting. Indiana sounds interesting, plenty of native brookies up around me in highland, so smokies would be different but same lol

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Disney will be all the adventure you need - I live 30 minutes away and haven't been since 1997! LOL!

The parks will plum wear you and your wallet out - sensory overload. You'll be about 90 minutes from some good fishing, and if you schedule it right, you can drive over and watch a rocket launch. My folks live on the east coast (about 25 miles from the launch pads) and the house shakes when they launch. Neat stuff. I watch 'em from in front of my house (50 miles +/- from launch pads) - sometimes use binoculars or spotting scope.

My style is more of a routine with the occasional adventure - every couple of years. Sounds like you are the other way around - keeping it more exciting.

Missouri is a fun hunt from what I hear from guys who go
Iowa is a 3 yr draw
Ohio & KY - no idea

I'm not looking forward to disney and i have never even been lol

Wellsdw

WKR
Swing through se Kentucky, scout some public land for deer, set a cheap lock on up. Then ride down to eastern tenn., and stripper fish with a guide in the tva lakes. Then back to ky to hunt.

rayporter

WKR
north Georgia pack in. I took a trip 2 years ago and got a nice deer and a bear was taken in the area, too.
I think Blairsville was close by.

I can give you the drainage. never saw another hunter in there. we were real close the the Appalachian trail/

I can put you on a great public land hunt in Arkansas. for deer or turkey. but you will need to pack in or ride a horse=no motors.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
You could come to the Ga. Mountain's in Sept. and hunt Black bears with your Bow. Population is on the rise and the state increased the limit to 2. Theres lots of hogs too. Deer population is terrible though.

You ever catch a BIGGGG catfish? James river in you home state. Some of the best big cat fishing in the U.S.

Ive bow hunted in K.Y. in early November several times. It can be a blast even on public land.

Its farther that 12 hours. South Dakota Turkey hunt. Plenty of stuff to do other than hunt bring the wife and kids. (if you want) Hunt in the morning and evening go see mount Rushmore at the night lighting. I spent a week there and didn't get bored.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
You could come to the Ga. Mountain's in Sept. and hunt Black bears with your Bow. Population is on the rise and the state increased the limit to 2. Theres lots of hogs too. Deer population is terrible though.

You ever catch a BIGGGG catfish? James river in you home state. Some of the best big cat fishing in the U.S.

Ive bow hunted in K.Y. in early November several times. It can be a blast even on public land.

Caught a 65 pounder on the James!!!!

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Its farther that 12 hours. South Dakota Turkey hunt. Plenty of stuff to do other than hunt bring the wife and kids. (if you want) Hunt in the morning and evening go see mount Rushmore at the night lighting. I spent a week there and didn't get bored.
We have actually talked about vacationing there, badlands, rushmore, i-90, black hills etc. all in that area

boco7

FNG
I think you could do a quick trip for antelope in SE WY. We have been several years with multiple people and all tagged out in 2 days on decent bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJS23

WKR
Come up to new Hampshire and fly fish the Connecticut river or the white mountain national forest, I’ll meet up with you

Honestly if ya got 3 days... friday, Saturday, Sunday...

Fly out Thursday to Denver.. 300$

hunt maybe two tags.. doe and buck tag. 320$

Pack full of all the food you’ll need.

Rental car 150$

After you get in late Thursday, rental car and get to your unit. Hunt 0-dark thirty till about noon. Nap.. hit it hard Saturday and call it Sunday at noon. 4 hours Bush to airport.

Be home 11pm Sunday night with 60-70 pounds of mest.

800$ all up.. two doe tags in Wyoming and fishing would save about 200$

WJS23

WKR
Just shoot me a pm and let me know I’ll find places for you to stay

Venison on a stick. Backpack hunt for whitetails on the ground in archery season anywhere. Go in fairly far and establish camp, just as you would for elk. Even Ohio has some very rugged terrain on public land where few treestand guys ever venture. Most of our bowhunters are lazy and tend to hunt within a half mile of their vehicle. I would think a guy has a very good chance to see numerous deer and have some real fun doing ground stands or slow-poking through the woods.

Bring some of that cool Monterey air if you come. You live in a beautiful region of Virginia.

Saw a Residential archery Deer hunt in Va. on You Tube,set up a stand in the thickets in between nieghbors homes.My brohers live in Burke and Alexandria and have a few Deer around.Ask around a few folks are having problems with Deer invading gardens and lawns.:cool: