Suggestions??

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Looks like I may not make it driving "Out West" this year for a big hunting trip, (combination of money and wife/kids wanting to go to disney since I got to go to Montana for a week last year) so I am trying to come up with some ideas for some shorter hunts/adventures to do. Looking for stuff within a 12 hour or so drive from Virginia. I have done hogs several times, so I could do that again maybe, but want some new adventure. Fishing not out of question either. I know I will make a 4 hour trip to West Virginia in the bow only counties to hunt also, i usually dont count that as a trip though as I hunt behind my mom n dad's house there lol

Here are a few ideas I have had.....maybe ya'll can brainstorm me some too to check out

Backpacking/fishing trip wind river range (or other place where i can catch 100's of trout), just me and the wife fly out for 3 or so days
Possible midwest whitetail hunt? brother lives in missouri,
Maybe Iowa late shotgun public land I could draw?
Ohio Public land whitetail?
Kentucky public land whitetail?
Georgia Hog/Deer? (done Georgia several times for hogs including just this march)

well let's hear some of your suggestions

- Florida flats fishing. Not sure about dates and fish patterns and your target time frame.
- TN and NC trout fishing is a lot closer and cheaper

I personally wouldn't fly out west for 3 or so days. With all the logistics you may not have enough time to relax and really do much.
Pic your season of choice, and a big chunk of public land to the north of you, and have at it.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Cherokee National Forest in TN / NC - hunting, trout (native brookies too if you know where to look) , great scenery and solitude pretty easy to find if you hike a bit.
I've done a few bomb trips out west to fish - learned I can't relax and enjoy as much when time is really limited. Had some success flying commercial into West Yellowstone - Madison, Gallatin and YNP streams are all close and it makes a pretty good long weekend.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Family went fishing for tuna and mahi mahi when we were the keys a few years ago, some of the most fun I’ve had. Can be pricey but might be nice if you’re gonna be in Florida anyways.
Also most of my family heads to Missouri for public land whitetail, can be busy but I’ve heard it’s a good time.

isu22andy

WKR
Iowa shotgun on public ground is going to be a crap shoot. Lots of party hunting and deer drives, lots of guys will push the public. Id go Nebraska turkey hunting !

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I personally wouldn't fly out west for 3 or so days. With all the logistics you may not have enough time to relax and really do much.
Pic your season of choice, and a big chunk of public land to the north of you, and have at it.

good point, may do a little longer if i go that route

Rich M

WKR
Disney will be all the adventure you need - I live 30 minutes away and haven't been since 1997! LOL!

The parks will plum wear you and your wallet out - sensory overload. You'll be about 90 minutes from some good fishing, and if you schedule it right, you can drive over and watch a rocket launch. My folks live on the east coast (about 25 miles from the launch pads) and the house shakes when they launch. Neat stuff. I watch 'em from in front of my house (50 miles +/- from launch pads) - sometimes use binoculars or spotting scope.

My style is more of a routine with the occasional adventure - every couple of years. Sounds like you are the other way around - keeping it more exciting.

Missouri is a fun hunt from what I hear from guys who go
Iowa is a 3 yr draw
Ohio & KY - no idea

sram9102

WKR
I've always wanted to go down and do the early archery hunt in KY a whitetail in velvet is on the bucket list.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Archery deer in Indiana would be my vote. It's only 7-8 hr to southeast Indiana and there is plenty of public land. I've been looking at this for the past couple years. Spoke to the biologist and if you get off the road you'll be alone. There are some draw hunts in some of the parks the biologist recommended.

Or a few days camping/canoeing and trout fishing in Algonquin park in Ontario. That may push the 12 hour drive but not by much. Beautiful country and some of the best Brookie fishing.

Hog hunting too but as you say, it's not something new. But it's certainly fun. We chase 'em with dogs and stick 'em which adds to the adventure

Trout fishing in the smokies wouldn't be bad either. Do some hiking and find some brookies

Could take the wife and do a couple days of salmon/lake trout fishing on lake Michigan. Been a few times with a great guy out of Winthrop harbor, IL.

If you get into the salmon good you could come home with 60+ lbs (maybe alot more depending on size) of salmon fillets,. Then go down to the grocery store, price out fresh salmon fillets and tell your wife you actually made/saved money by doing the trip!

Then again just depends on where you are in VA