suitable pack set up for backcountry hunt

I will be hunting Colorado for rifle this year and am trying to narrow down my gear list. This post just pertains to my pack.

I have a cheapish Cabelas instinct from pack which I have been using for training and am planning on taking. I purchased just the frame, not with the bag. I have a bunch of dry sacks that I plan on packing all my gear in for the hike in and out. Should I just use one of them as my bag for my day hunts?

I know a lot of people use a smaller pack for their day hunts, but I don't want to have the redundant weight of bringing in another bag.

I am capable of sewing custom bags for this purpose but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would find a bag that compresses nicely and can be setup nice for day gear. Bringing 2 different packs is crazy in my opinion.

If you have the frame pack I think you may find it cumbersome for day hunting so if there is an option for a day pack it would be nice. Even a real lightweight bag taking the place of one of the dry bags.

OP
F
I should mention that I will be in a party of 4 with only 3 hunters. We plan on setting up a spike camp and hunting from there. Because there are 4 of us packing in we will be able to spread the typical load a little easier than a solo hunter could, at least in theory.

Is it the size of the frame pack that makes it less than ideal? The weight? The incorrect features?

I have been training with the pack and am surprised at how comfortable it is. I haven't spent an entire day with it on my back with light weights, that would probably be a good idea. I want to be able to haul meat without having to double back.

I also own a Kelty Redwing 50L which I have used for backpacking trips but don't love it for hauling gear. It would probably do ok but is not going to haul loads as well.

I'd skip the second bag also. Throw an extra strap or two on the frame to help compress the large dry bag into a smallish day bag. If your frame is comfortable and already working for you in training I'd switch gears and practice cinching down the dry bag you plan to take and experiment with it in "day pack" mode.

tttoadman

WKR
Grab a lid that looks good to you, and you are good to go. The bottom compression panel that comes on your frame along with a lid will be super for anything. Ditch the top bar. The open bars are great to hang a gun strap on if you use one.