Summary of my first backcountry trip

I just got back from my first backcountry bowhunt, something Ive wanted to do since I killed my first archery whitetail at 13. Ill first say that my biggest worry was not being physically fit enough though I am very active and only 31, I had somewhat psyched myself out. I underestimated the work I had put in leading up to the trip because I put 12 miles and +2,600ft of elevation in the first full day and I actually felt great even with a heavy pack on my back. The thrill of wanting to see what lies ahead definitely helped keep me going. I learned quick about the pop up thunderstorms, got cliffed out and had to take a plan B through a long, rocky and vertical gulch. Did not see a single animal besides cattle the first or second day so we relocated by vehicle to the south side of the mountain range, 20 minutes away or so and started seeing deer on the drive in. The next 4 days of hunting we stayed in a lower elevation and saw roughly 30 doe but not a single buck. I'm assuming they were up higher but we glassed and glassed above us without picking up any. Most deer were seen in the timber and not actually out in the open. The unit I was in is not known for its elk hunting so hunting pressure was very low. I had a blast just starting my season in such beautiful country (not to mention a month earlier than I usually can start bowhunting) and I learned alot in my trip but I would be lying if I said I was not overly ready to get back out there again.

Great report. Sounds just like my first elk hunting experience actually.

I agree that we can get psyched out on the fitness and underestimate how far (and fast) our adrenaline will take us when we finally get out there. Two years ago, despite still recovering from back surgery, I got carried away on the first day of scouting and found myself 2300 feet above my truck and 4 miles away before I knew it. LOL That was pure adrenaline because of how excited I was to be there.

Hope you connect next time but I'm sure you had a blast. I gotta warn you, it's addicting for those of us who grew up chasing whitetails "back east." Once you do it, sitting in a tree stand will never be the same.

WAHunter

FNG
I just got back from my first backcountry bowhunt, something Ive wanted to do since I killed my first archery whitetail at 13. Ill first say that my biggest worry was not being physically fit enough though I am very active and only 31, I had somewhat psyched myself out. I underestimated the work I had put in leading up to the trip because I put 12 miles and +2,600ft of elevation in the first full day and I actually felt great even with a heavy pack on my back. The thrill of wanting to see what lies ahead definitely helped keep me going. I learned quick about the pop up thunderstorms, got cliffed out and had to take a plan B through a long, rocky and vertical gulch. Did not see a single animal besides cattle the first or second day so we relocated by vehicle to the south side of the mountain range, 20 minutes away or so and started seeing deer on the drive in. The next 4 days of hunting we stayed in a lower elevation and saw roughly 30 doe but not a single buck. I'm assuming they were up higher but we glassed and glassed above us without picking up any. Most deer were seen in the timber and not actually out in the open. The unit I was in is not known for its elk hunting so hunting pressure was very low. I had a blast just starting my season in such beautiful country (not to mention a month earlier than I usually can start bowhunting) and I learned alot in my trip but I would be lying if I said I was not overly ready to get back out there again.
Haha, I definitely know the feeling of going for over-prepared, but better than the other way around right?