Summer bag/quilt/blanket

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a desert hike coming up in August. At the lower elevations I expect the low temps to be in the 70s at higher elevations maybe low 50s. Has anyone used a down blanket for this? I currently have a 10 degree down quilt, a 40 degree synthetic quilt that my son will use on this trip and a 20 degree synthetic bag. I have considered a 40-50 degree quilt but not sure it will get much use as I try to camp when it is cooler. I really do not want to buy a chinese blanket off Amazon but I do not see any options short of a down quilt. My costco does not have the down blankets in stock. I will be climbing quite a bit of elevation so I want to be under 16oz for the quilt/blanket/bag. Any other sub 16oz options, I may just bite the bullet and buy another quilt, I just have a hard time doing it if I do not have a use for it in the future.

JRMiller

WKR
If it was me I would use a 30 (or maybe 20, preference) hybrid quilt like a EE Revelation (or Convert) or a UGQ Bandit.
Versatile, us as a quilt when cold or just as a blanket when warmer.
I have a general rule when it comes to backpacking gear. Each piece must serve at least two purposes, in a way hybrids do.

Not the lightest but I have used a snugpak jungle bag for those temps. It is great. I also finally picked up a hill people serape That may replace my jungle bag.

OP
T

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Those serapes are also over 2#. I am really considering the get out gear blanket on Amazon, if my son wasn't coming along I do have the 40 degree EE APEX I would normally use. The hemlock mountain option looks odd, you have to pay for it then he orders the material and starts it when the material arrives.

Cs36

FNG
Have any of you guys used or currently use a quilt by enlightened equipment ?

Enlightened Equipment Enigma 30 degree is my warm weather choice. The quilts are really nice because you can open them up and vent them more then a bag.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cs36

FNG
Enlightened Equipment Enigma 30 degree is my warm weather choice. The quilts are really nice because you can open them up and vent them more then a bag.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Awesome. That’s the one I was looking into. If you don’t mind telling, what climate and season are you typically using it for? I’ll most likely be using in Colorado high country from September - early November time frame