Summer Scout Camps in AZ, MT, UT, ID, NM, NV

Billinsd

WKR
My son is a 12 year old Star Scout and we're going on a summer camp trip with about 6 other scouts in his troop of about 50 in California. The Covid lock down has decimated the troop. They still meet virtually and on the summer camp it looks like masks will be required, even though virtually all the adults and staff have been vaccinated. The reason is the director promised we would wear masks, months ago and doesn't want to break his promise and worried that some may get upset. The paperwork is staggering. The A, B, and C forms are easy, but you must have a recent tetanus shot, need to fill out a county form 3 days before trip and log your temperature each day, food allergy intolerance forms, can't just say NA, plus lots more.. YEP....

The troop leadership has changed and an extremely overbearing, divorcee mother, who coincidentally was the excuse of them leaving is......well extremely overbearing.

I'd like me and my son to go on a summer scout trip to a fun place in a "free state", with another troop. Or is what I've described overbearing women, and pages, and pages of forms the new norm ? No, I'm not going to change the troop my son is in. He's 12 and will get his eagle scout before he goes to high school.

Thanks Bill

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
At the last meeting a woman who said she is an expert in the field said "the science shows kids generally don't catch and don't transmit covid", then a man made a plea not to wear masks. The director reiterated, I'm sure me and my staff will hate wearing masks all day in the heat, but gosh I told everyone 6 months ago we'd wear masks and I don't want to go back on my word.

Geewhiz

WKR
Interesting how an overbearing woman is in charge of teaching boys how to be men. How scouting has changed.

Look into Melita island in Flathead lake. When I was a scout they had some pretty cool scout camps out there.

Also K-M scout camp in central Montana might be of interest to you.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Interesting how an overbearing woman is in charge of teaching boys how to be men. How scouting has changed.
Thanks, she's not a scout master. She is the chair of the parent committee. She doesn't interact with the kids much. She excells at making things more difficult and complicated and running off other parents in droves.

Last edited:
Is there a couple kids and dads or moms who'd join you in a non scouting trip?
Pick some BLM or FS in any of those states and have fun.
I'm sure if you narrowed down an area you'd find some local knowledge on here.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Is there a couple kids and dads or moms who'd join you in a non scouting trip?
Pick some BLM or FS in any of those states and have fun.
I'm sure if you narrowed down an area you'd find some local knowledge on here.
Probably not. Most seem real busy. And I don't think any would want to leave the state. My son is one of the youngest at almost 13. There's a couple younger than him out of 50 kids. That was before covid. I doubt there are 30 now. That's a fantastic idea about the non scouting trip. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
It would just be my son and I. Would that be a bad thing? The others in the troop aren't adventurous and lack the funds. Could we join another troop for a summer camp?

Last edited:
You probably have thought of this but check fire restrictions. You may be camping without a fire. In UT no fires outside an approved pit in a campground.

Rokbar

WKR
Some of the older Scouts in my sons troop are going to Philmont soon. Most are mask wearers. But Ill bet when it gets down to it the masks will be firestarter. As far as location, I'm sure they'll have to go by whatever state they are in. Now his whole troop is going to Camp Daniel Boone in NC in July. I can't see making masks mandatory. But if they choose to have at it.

Last year my son was a webelo and we went to a camp, just he and I (small pack and he’s the only one his age). We ended up grouped up with another group that was there with only a handful of kids. We’ve been to K-M twice, its the only formal scout camp I’ve ever been to so I don’t have much frame of reference, but it’s really nice. He’s had a great time both times we’ve been. When I was in scouts we always just went on pack/troop trips in the local mountains.

After the camp we went and camped by ourselves and did a little fishing and had an awesome time, so if you’re unable to figure out a group camp, just a father son trip could be a good option as well.

Azdon

FNG
Check out Camp Geronimo in Arizona. Masks are optional. I know that they still have openings in the later sessions.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been out of the game for quite some time, but in my youth I went to camp fleischmann every summer with my troop. Northern CA. There were random not troop affiliated kids there. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.