Summer Scouting

This will be my 2nd fall elk hunting or hunting at all for that matter. Last year I didn’t get a chance to really do much pre season scouting. Pretty much one day trip. I did a lot of e scouting but This year should allow for multiple trips to scout. I plan to hunt the same area I did last year as I had many close encounters but couldn’t close the deal. Hopefully I’ll also have a partner this season and won’t be solo.
I guess my main questions are what time of year do you typically go scout for fall assuming you only live a couple hours away and don’t have to fly etc to hunt area? What are strategies for scouting in timbered areas that don’t allow much glassing etc? And also when do you typically cut off scouting before season as to not disturb animals before opening day? 1/2 weeks? 1/2 days? I’m in Northern Co archery if that plays any factor. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
In Northern CO scout whenever you want because there are enough active users in most of the woods all summer you probably won’t make a big difference.

I like to scout in July/August a few times mainly looking for water sources in the areas we like to hunt. Normally in September things will be pretty crunchy and they won’t be too far away. I’m also looking for fast access routes through and to the best pockets of darker timber that way I can navigate more effectively as I search through them mid season. Otherwise, it’s a bit of a crapshoot once the season opens and they start floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Because your're inexperienced to the area, scout once if possible, not necessary but it's fun. Get the lay of the land & where potential hunters will be camped. find areas elk will escape or be pushed to from these camps. Outside of that you are done. No need to walk around the woods until Elk Calling Season is open! Once there, glass open country to locate & Bugle into timbered/treed areas to locate. Make a plan once elk are found & kill one!

ElkNut

OP
M
In Northern CO scout whenever you want because there are enough active users in most of the woods all summer you probably won’t make a big difference.

I like to scout in July/August a few times mainly looking for water sources in the areas we like to hunt. Normally in September things will be pretty crunchy and they won’t be too far away. I’m also looking for fast access routes through and to the best pockets of darker timber that way I can navigate more effectively as I search through them mid season. Otherwise, it’s a bit of a crapshoot once the season opens and they start floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a few encounters in one spot last September and got very close to being able to let an arrow go. So I think I might go back to that area and look for sign that they’re still using it, there was also a fire last sept in the area so I think I’ll go check that area out and see what it looks like. I just wasn’t exactly sure what time frame to start the process. It would be nice to cut some miles off the 20 mile days in sept by doing a little of the leg work in the summer locating them.