Summer Sleeping Bag and Pad

I'm having a hard time finding a late spring/summer sleep system that is lightweight and affordable. Something that I could shed hunt or turkey hunt and not take up a ton of room. During fall through winter I use a 20 degree Alpinlite bag and a thermarest max (rectangular) pad. I would really like to find something that I would be comfortable from 40 degrees and up that is lightweight and packable. The ideal weight for the bag would be 1.5lbs and the pad at 1lb. I really dont want to buy another $400 bag so I would like to stay under $200. Any recommendations?

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried a quilt? I'd think a 30-40 degree quilt and a Neoair Xlite would fit the bill nicely for you.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I made my own quilt
Was pretty easy and works great for me until September
Weighs 16 oz in stuff sack
Been trying out the hammock as well and keeps things light for scouting season

I have a couple of options I use for temps above freezing
Hill people gear serape $200
a snug pak jungle bag $65
ee convert quilt in apex

I have that neoair xlite pad. It was but it is expensive and dainty For general use I would look at sea to summit or klymit pads

JRMiller

WKR
Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass 30f bag is goose down, 2lbs, and $200.
I have both a 15 and a 30.
As for pads theres a ton of warm season rated ones, but i use a Trekology UL pad for warmer temps.
Its $40, a nice 4” thick, but its a tad on the heavy side at 26oz.
Klymit X is also a good summer pad.
$40 and 16oz i think.
Neither are winter pads, both rated under 2 R-value.

OP
mattferg84
Thanks for the recommendations. Ill look into a quilt. Id be open to cheaper 20-30 degree bags that are more like 40 if anyone knows any that are lightweight and compressible.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
A quilt will be your lightest, most flexible option. Easy to vent when it's hot, light, easy to compress.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WA209

FNG
Thanks for the recommendations. Ill look into a quilt. Id be open to cheaper 20-30 degree bags that are more like 40 if anyone knows any that are lightweight and compressible.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
The Nemo/first lite 40 degree bag.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a hot sleeper so take this with a grain of salt. During summer I use a 700 fill down blanket I got at Costco. I'm not sure if Costco still sells them but there's other brands out there. With base layers I've been comfortable into the low 40s, it weighs less then a pound and I think I paid around 30 bucks

Have you used the Xtherm Max in summer conditions to know if it feels too hot? The regular weighs 1lb 1 oz, large is 1lb 7oz so not much weight penalty for using the same pad all year.

OP
mattferg84
Have you used the Xtherm Max in summer conditions to know if it feels too hot? The regular weighs 1lb 1 oz, large is 1lb 7oz so not much weight penalty for using the same pad all year.
I've used it quite a bit in the summer and its just too hot. I have been looking into the tensor which might be what I'm looking for but still unsure on what bag I should get. I looked at a few quilts and they are just too pricey.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've used it quite a bit in the summer and its just too hot. I have been looking into the tensor which might be what I'm looking for but still unsure on what bag I should get. I looked at a few quilts and they are just too pricey.
What quilts did you look at? Get a synthetic from VIAM

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30 degree synthetic Enlightened Equipment quilt I could probably give you a good deal on, if you're interested. I've been meaning to put it up in the classifieds but haven't gotten around to it yet.

OP
mattferg84
What quilts did you look at? Get a synthetic from VIAM

Thanks for the recommendation. Those seem to be closer to my price range. I looked at Katabatic and Enlightened Equipment.

OP
mattferg84
I have a 30 degree synthetic Enlightened Equipment quilt I could probably give you a good deal on, if you're interested. I've been meaning to put it up in the classifieds but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Feel free to send me a DM with the details. Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Synthetic quilts will always be cheaper than down, with tradeoffs. Have you looked at Outdoor Vitals as well? Quite a few guys here on the forum use those also.